We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jessyca
Beginner September 2021

When to Dress Shop?

Jessyca, on October 20, 2020 at 4:34 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved Save

Hi everyone!

My wedding is 11 months from now (Sept 18, 2021) and I have yet to book any appointments to shop for my wedding dress. I've heard many different timelines from people in my close circle (start shopping now, wait until 6 months out, etc) and I would love to get more advice on timing!

I am also in the process of dropping a few lbs for the wedding (approx 5 down 15 to go!) and would like to know if/how that has affected anyone else's shopping timeline.

Finally, has anyone experienced any Covid-related restrictions surrounding appointments in the LA/Orange County areas?

Thanks in advance everyone!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Jessyca, on November 21, 2020 at 10:26 PM
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    Definitely start shopping NOW. Especially with Covid being a thing. Before Covid some dresses could take 6+ months to come in so I would definitely start making appointments
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

Agree with the above - absolutely start now. For a new dress pre-COVID, I was quoted 6-8 months, then buffer time in case alterations are needed. (I bought a sample sale dress a little over a year out and started alterations about 3 months out.)

I'm in Ohio, but for restrictions, they limited the number of people and masks had to be worn. The individual shop should be able to share their specific requirements with you.

Good luck!

• Belle
    Rockstar August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    I agree. It’s time. You might or might not find your dress on your first appointment. I had to pass on a dress I originally wanted (before covid) because it takes about half a year to arrives with rush service. Not to mention how long it would take to alter it. You can always buy now and while you wait for the dress to arrive, you can lose the weight you want ❤️
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I would start looking now. Even if it's just online, start getting an idea of what you like and don't like. I'd suggest actually purchasing your dress sometime between now and 8 months before your wedding. COVID has delayed dress arrivals for some places, and you definitely want to make sure your dress arrives in time without having to pay to rush ship it.
  • F
    Dedicated September 2020
    Furure Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I would start now so that you have time to shop around and don't feel rushed. The timeframe for production varies depending on the designer, but I know mine was rush ordered and took about 7 1/2 months to come in and then another month for alterations.

• Jessyca
    Beginner September 2021
    Jessyca ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone! Starting the group chat with MOB MOG SMOB and MOH about shopping dates now!

• Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I totally agree with everyone! Start shopping now! I purchased my dress at Brilliant Bridal & once you purchase it, you leave with your dress. I purchased it in June, had my tummy tuck last week & am getting alterations in January. Our wedding is in April so that gives time for all the COVID “what if’s” to work itself out.
  • A
    Super October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Do it now. My wedding is next October, and I ordered my dress at the end of July. Because of delays and things, it’s due to ship in March.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

Glad to hear you're planning to start now. I'd try to get all of your appointments set before the end of October if possible. I was quoted a 7-8 month production time for my dress long before Covid, and I imagine there will be more delays now with Covid in the picture!

• L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    I’d start looking now because Covid causes shipping delays (and every other problem as we all know.) I bought mine 7 months before my wedding but I ordered it right before Covid hit. As far as losing weight, if you lose 20 pounds a good seamstress should be able to take in the dress even if you buy it before youre done losing weight
  • M
    Super October 2022
    Michele ·
    • Flag
    Start shopping now. Call local stores via Yelp to find out what regulations are.
  • Jai Butcher
    Rockstar May 2020
    Jai Butcher ·
    • Flag
    I went shopping near black friday and got my dress for 50% off. And our wedding was in May. Maybe see if any dress shops have deals
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

I agree with the consensus, start shopping now. I bought my dress roughly 14 months out at it took eight months to come in and three months to get altered.

• Rabreena
    Dedicated October 2021
    Rabreena ·
    • Flag

Start shopping now! My wedding is October 23, 2021 and every appointment I went to of course asked when my date was and they said that I was doing the right thing with starting now with it close to being one year away.

• Jessyca
    Beginner September 2021
    Jessyca ·
    • Flag

Hi Everyone

Giving you all an update on the dress sitch... I found my dress today! It was in a sample sale only store so I got to take it home right off the rack, which is more than i could have asked for.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies, I'm so glad I went shopping now instead of later!

When to Dress Shop? 1

When to Dress Shop? 2

When to Dress Shop? 3

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics