We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Michalla
Just Said Yes June 2022

When to Begin Looking for Dresses

Michalla, on October 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 13
Saved Save
Hello! I’m looking for advice on when to look for dresses (not buying anything yet, just trying to find my style). We are planning on getting married in June of 2022 and I’m just not sure if it’s too early to be looking!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Maggy, on November 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I think you could at least start looking online now to get an idea of what styles you like! You still have some time before you really need to seriously think about buying a dress - I would definitely buy one by around 8-9 months before your wedding, but you could even start going to shops to try them on now if you wanted to! Many dresses take around 4-6 months to arrive (longer if impacted by COVID), and alterations can take anywhere from 1-3 months. Better to get the dress earlier rather than later, to avoid rush shipping or delays. As long as you account for those in your dress shopping timeline, you should be good!
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Most people recommend one year out.
  • Jennifer
    Just Said Yes December 2021
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    I work in the dress industry. No need to shop more than a year ahead of time. Average ordering times 3-6 months (most 3-4 mo) alterations 2-6wks. Most bridal designers come out with two seasons, fall and spring. If you shop now you will be looking at fall/winter 2020 collection. If you shop in the early spring you will see spring/summer 2021 collections.
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

You can definitely look at dresses online, make a Pinterest board, etc., but I wouldn't go until spring/about a year out.

I went shopping at about 14 months out "just to look" and ended up buying the first dress I tried on! Smiley smile

• Honey
    Savvy July 2022
    Honey ·
    • Flag
    At first my wedding was going to be in 2021. And early 2019 I had started to look online for styles that I liked. Then at the beginning of this year I decided to go to David’s Bridal just to look and try on different silhouettes that fit me better. Now my wedding isn’t until 2022 and I’m just looking for dresses I like in the specific silhouettes. Maybe you can do something similar. Start looking at dresses you like and the year before go and try to find a silhouette you really like.
  • Michalla
    Just Said Yes June 2022
    Michalla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I believe finding the silhouette is what I meant to say. I have been looking at different styles on David’s site and on Pinterest, but everything is a lot different when you try it on.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I would start shopping about a year out
  • Lisa
    Expert October 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    As others have said, about a year out. I went in about 11 months out from our original date. Now I have 12 more months to wait to wear it lol.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    You can start looking now to see what you like. We got engaged July’19 & set our date a few weeks later for 4/3/21. I started looking immediately because I had no idea what I wanted. I bought my dress this passed June. The dress I ended up with was nothing like what I was looking at. The boutique I bought my dress is one of those that once you purchase it, you walk out the door with your dress. Plan on getting alterations in January.
  • Michalla
    Just Said Yes June 2022
    Michalla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you all for the very helpful advice!
  • Allison
    Savvy June 2022
    Allison ·
    • Flag

I am also a June 2022 bride! Similar to the advice above, I would just start researching for now; making a pintrest board, looking up local bridal shops, following dress designers on Instagram, etc.

The rule of thumb is 10-12 months out to order your dress to make sure it comes in on time and for alterations. I am planning on dress shopping this spring, most likely June so I can get a feel for the temperature and how I would feel in it literally in a year.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I would start actually going on a try dresses maybe a year in advance. Nothing is wrong with window shopping now and just pinpointing the kinds of style do you like
  • M
    Savvy September 2021
    Maggy ·
    • Flag
    I agree with all of the comments. A years time frame to start dress shopping. But window shopping is fantastic it allows you to see what styles and silhouettes you like. Keep an open mind during dress shopping. I said yes to my dress the beginning of October and my wedding is next year September. But I window shopped a lot. If it helps. I usually wear fitted clothes so I wanted something not fitted for my wedding. I chose a ballgown. It is your day. You choose what you are comfortable in, and makes you feel like the queen that you are. Enjoy sweetheart.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles