We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

K
Just Said Yes August 2022

When should i ask my bridesmaids?

Kayla, on March 10, 2020 at 3:18 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved Save
Hello everyone! My fiancé and I just got engaged 2 weeks ago. I’m not sure when I should ask my friends/ fam if they would be my bridesmaids/ maid of honor. We are planning a wedding in August of 2022 so we can take our time saving up. I know who I want on my wedding party but is it too early to ask?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Bride2020, on March 12, 2020 at 3:49 PM
  • Britnie
    Savvy September 2020
    Britnie ·
    • Flag
    If you are 100% positive then I don’t think it’s too early. I had a mishap and had wished I waited a little longer. Only you really know tho.
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

With your wedding being 2 1/2 years away, I would definitely wait. At least until about a year out. Your relationships with friends and family will change a lot in that amount of time.

• Katie
    Expert January 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I would wait. A lot can change in that amount of time - I'd wait until you're getting read yto send save the dates.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    10-12 months before the wedding is ideal
  • Onya
    Expert October 2020
    Onya ·
    • Flag

I asked mines 14 months before the wedding. It's a destination wedding and my bridal party needed to be notified so they could save and just prepare since that are all in different states! So it depends on the circumstances. Just like we are sending save the dates a year out (4/1!!! ahhh!!!).

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I would wait. A lot of relationships can change by then
  • Molly
    Dedicated October 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I would wait until at least summer. even though you know who you want, things can still change. and there is nothing for them to do until you start getting into planning things anyways so there's not too much of a reason to quite yet

• KandiKrix
    Dedicated August 2020
    KandiKrix ·
    • Flag

Definitely wait until at least a year before your wedding. I guarantee so many things will change from now until then. From my experience you may end up asking someone (or multiple people) that you might not be as close with 2 years from now.

Now if you have someone extremely close to you that you absolutely know that you cannot not have being maid of honor or a bridesmaid, then feel free to ask them. But please give yourself at least a year until your wedding date to ask all of your members.

• L
    Devoted August 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    I asked right away after proposal and we have a 2 year engagement. But I knew it wasnt going to change 🤷‍♀️ sure something couldve happened, but I don't regret my choice! You do you as long as your certain who you want!
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I asked 19 months out. I had 9 bridesmaids, I didn't regret asking early & I had zero drama with any of them the entire time. A lot of forum posts regret asking so early because relationships change but that wasn't the case for me.

• Bride2020
    Devoted May 2020
    Bride2020 ·
    • Flag

YES it is too early. I would definitely wait until 8-9 months out at the least! I asked mine a bit over a year out and that was still too early I think.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles