Jacquie
Just Said Yes October 2021

When is a good time to ask your bridesmaids?

Jacquie, on February 11, 2020 at 8:58 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 10
Saved Save

When is an appropriate time to ask your bridesmaids to be in your wedding party? I have a date set and it isn't until 10/2/2021, so I have a lot of time to ask, but I was curious when other people asked their bridesmaids.

10 Comments

• M
    Devoted October 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag

It's typically good to wait until about 10-11 months out. As much as people think their relationships won't change, it literally happens all the time. This forum is actually filled with people having problems with their bridesmaids/groomsmen/wedding party. 10-11 months should give them enough time to get an outfit and, if they choose, host any pre-wedding parties.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    10-12 months before your wedding.
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    We asked our siblings and lifelong friends at 18 months
  • Nicole
    Rockstar July 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

8 months to a year out from your wedding would be perfect. There's literally nothing that they need to do before then. Dresses typically don't take over 6 months and if they offer to host any extra parties (shower, bachelorette), they still don't need more than a few months to figure it out.

• Taylor
    Savvy September 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is 9/18/21 and we’ve started asking people! My FH took a golf trip to AZ, where his best man lives, so it made sense to ask while he was there in person; & then we just asked another couple who will both be in the wedding the other night when we got dinner with them. We’re not in any hurry & are doing it casually as the opportunities come up.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I’d ask them like around January 2021
  • Erin
    Devoted September 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    Mines 9/25/21 and i asked them at Christmas
  • Will & Tiara
    Super September 2019
    Will & Tiara ·
    • Flag

A year is fair and then a nice celebratory lunch to those who really are serious about participating. Be sure to ask them individually before you all get together as not to make one uncomfortable because they can't do or can't afford to be a part. It is a financial burdon for all involved and you have to be gracious about that as well.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I asked mine right away (against what this website suggests) 18 months out. I had 9 bridesmaids and no drama the entire time. BUT that isn't the case for everyone and the safe bet is 10-12 months.

• Molly
    Devoted September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I had a bunch of people ask me the day I got engaged who would be in my bridal party! I wished I would have waited longer to ask girls to be in my wedding. Not that I don't love my bridesmaids, but I regret not asking some girls to be in my wedding party. I would also recommend about 10 months out. Really make sure you think hard about who you will ask!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics