We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Samantha
VIP October 2020

Wheelchair father/daughter dance

Samantha, on February 17, 2020 at 2:54 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 6
Saved Save

Hello!

My dad has been in a wheelchair for the last twenty-plus years. He danced with two of my sisters at their weddings where he kind of twirled around in his electric wheelchair. He really wants to do something special. I am perfectly happy twirling, I just want a special moment with him at our wedding, I don't think it needs to be anything fancy. I've told him this, but he still wants to do something else. He just doesn't know what. The other issue is that he has a broken back that can only be fixed by surgery and he's too high risk to operate on so it will still be broken in October during the wedding. His bones are very brittle, so he frequently has broken ribs as well, so I don't want to do anything that can hurt him. He wanted to talk to a dance instructor and see if there's something we can do, but I'm worried that with his restricted movement he's really limited and I'm concerned that a dance lesson would just hurt him. I've also told my dad that, but he's got his heart set on doing something different than he did with my sisters. Any advice?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on February 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM
  • Francesca
    Savvy January 2021
    Francesca ·
    • Flag

My father is also in a wheelchair. He is going to be singing me a song (He's not a singer but has a good sense of humor so it will likely be cute). You could also maybe have him read you a poem or something that he really likes or that he wrote. I think that it's nice just to have that moment that replaces what would be a traditional father daughter dance. I think that anything that gives you two a moment is sweet Smiley heart

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ohh, that sounds lovely. That's a great idea. I'll talk to him and see if there's something else he'd like to do! I totally agree, I don't care about the dance at all, I just want a special moment with my dad. He's completely tone deaf, but he's a huge reader so a poem or book passage could be perfect.

• Francesca
    Savvy January 2021
    Francesca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Are you having him go down the aisle with you? This is something that is giving me massive anxiety because my dad keeps saying that he wants to walk, but he is so weak and I'm afraid that his pride is getting in the way. I told him that maybe we can have him hand me off to my fiance at the front of the aisle...he seems kind of headstrong on it though. Do you have any suggestions from your sisters weddings?

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes! He's going down the aisle with me. They put their hand over his and he was able to control the chair with his other hand. He wouldn't be able to physically walk down the aisle, but I empathize because that is absolutely something my dad would do. My sisters got married pretty close together and the most recent one was about three years ago, but his health has gotten significantly worse since then so he didn't have quite the same issues. It's so hard to be in this position though because I feel like he's putting himself in jeopardy for me and it's not at all what I want. Of course I can tell him that, but like you with your dad, his pride is getting in the way.

• Francesca
    Savvy January 2021
    Francesca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well I’m really glad i came across your post because this has been probably the biggest stressor for me while planning, but at least i know I’m not alone! ❤️ Hope your day is all you imagine and that all goes smoothly!!
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww, thank you. Yes, thank you so much for replying! It's nice to know that there's someone going through the same thing. It's definitely been my biggest stressor too, so it's really nice to get feedback from someone who knows what I'm talking about! The same to you! I hope you have an amazing day and an incredible marriage.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics