Sarah
Dedicated October 2020

What's the politest way to word this?

Sarah, on January 15, 2020 at 4:22 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12
Saved Save

Hi all! My fiancé and I are getting married in the Charlottesville, VA area. We just realized that our wedding weekend is also UVA Parents' Weekend, meaning that hotel rooms in the area will probably be scarce. We've reserved hotel blocks, but I want to emphasize to our guests that they should book their rooms early/make sure to book their rooms before the hotels' deadline for our blocks. How can I say this politely but firmly? I have family members who will definitely put this stuff off, and I'm worried they'll be left without any accomodations. Right now I have:

"Please note: we're getting married on UVA Parents' Weekend, so hotel rooms outside of our reserved blocks might be scarce! We highly recommend booking accommodations early."

12 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I think the way you've worded it is perfect!

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I think you did well! Also a week before the block closes maybe reach out to your OOT guests directly and make sure they’ve booked
  • Sarah
    Dedicated October 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ooh that's a great idea, thank you!

• Jasmine Edwards
    Dedicated April 2021
    Jasmine Edwards ·
    • Flag
    Sounds fine. Just put it on the website or in an email, not on the formal stationery.
  • K
    Dedicated October 2019
    KAREN ·
    • Flag

Perfect. When we sent out invites, we included a little blurb (on a separate little note) that stated that the hotel block was at this hotel under our names and that we cannot guarantee any rooms or rides to and from the venue if you do not book in the block. Sure enough, our block was used (and then some!).

At the end of the day, it is not your problem as to whether or not people use the block, but good for you for wanting to emphasize that to your guests!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD Online ·
    • Flag

I think the way you worded it is great!

• Kristina
    Dedicated March 2021
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

The way you worded it sounds good!

• Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry Online ·
    • Flag

How you have it sounds good. If there is anyone you are really worried about, I would maybe reach out to them again, privately to make sure they are aware that they may be sleeping on the sidewalk if they don't act quickly lol

• Andrea
    VIP April 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

Yup, you definitely worded it in a really good way.Smiley shame

• Alejandra
    Expert November 2020
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag
    I also agree that your wording is perfect Smiley smile it sounds to the point but gentle and caring!
  • S
    Devoted October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I think your worded it perfectly!
  • Taylor
    Rockstar October 2020
    Taylor Online ·
    • Flag

We're getting married in our college town and our wedding day just so happens to fall on a game day (football is the biggest deal at our school). There is no hotel that will even give me a block and most of them are also requiring a two night stay minimum. It's turned into a nightmare. On our STD's we said "Please visit our website for important information regarding accommodations." Then on the website we said something similar to what you have!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics