M
Beginner October 2021

What to do about my dress

Mary, on July 8, 2021 at 10:47 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved
So I bought a dress 6years ago when I was engaged and he passed of cancer before a wedding was planned. I paid $99 for the dress. Loved it then. I am getting married in 3 months. Tried the dress on (my fiancée was ok with using this dress because it never was worn and my mom helped me pick it out, she passed away end of March) and I don’t love it anymore. Felt very uncomfortable and just not right. I know I need it altered to fit properly. But I feel strongly about finding a new dress. Issue is a new dress is not in the budget. Any suggestions on cheap places to find dresses. Pictured is the dress What to do about my dress 1

9 Comments

Latest activity by Alycia, on July 9, 2021 at 2:17 PM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Are there any alterations that can be done to make the dress into something you love again? That may be cheaper than buying a new dress. If not, then you can always try to sell the dress online and buy a new one! For cheaper dresses, search for local secondhand dress shops in your area - often times, many of those dresses are still new with tags and are only considered secondhand because someone bought it, and then later changed their mind, but couldn't return it (even though it wasn't ever worn or altered). Also check out Facebook Marketplace, Poshmark, or Stillwhite if you are OK with buying a dress online.
  • Courtney
    Dedicated September 2021
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    I am so sorry you had to go through that. Congratulations 3 months will come up so fast! First I’d like to start off by saying your dress looks absolutely stunning on you! I can see why you were in love with it the first time. I do think if your not in love with it anymore maybe have a few alterations done that may make you love it again. I do have a few simple ideas maybe remove the sleeves and add either a belt or ribbon around the waist. Amazon has a variety of options within a reasonable price range. Another option is maybe you can change this into a sweetheart neckline. I think your dress still has magic in it and you may feel better after the alterations. I can see where your coming from because this dress is so special mainly because your mom was with you to help pick it out. However if you decide to find a new dress it is completely okay too. She will most definitely be there with you in spirit. Wishing you all the best ♥️ Keep us updated I can’t wait to see your dress whichever you choose to do. 🥰
    . What to do about my dress 2
    What to do about my dress 3

• C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    Try and find a bridal consignment shop in your area. I’ve also seen gowns at goodwill and thrift shops. Some one posted just this week they saw gowns at TJ Max.
  • K
    Dedicated October 2021
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    Have you looked at white formal dresses from department stores?
  • Rosie
    Rockstar February 2022
    Rosie Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Your wedding dress is beautiful, and I'm so sorry for your struggles. That must have been so hard. That said, how you feel in this dress is so important. It's a special day and you should feel gorgeous and stunning. I do think some alterations and a belt might help, but if not, I agree with Cassidy that finding a new dress somewhere will be the best option.

One lady yesterday was just posting about TJ Maxx having some BHLDN dresses for cheap, for example, so it's worth going to have a look!

• Kate
    Savvy May 2022
    Kate ·
    • Flag

I think the dress looks really good on you and I think maybe dressing it up a bit might help you love it more like the girls above said. However, if you do decide to get a new dress.. maybe see if you can sew in part of the original dress to the underskirt of your new dress so that you have a part of that moment with your mom with you, or see if you can take some of the fabric from the old dress and turn it into a garter belt. It can be your something "old".

• M
    Beginner October 2021
    Mary ·
    • Flag
    Thank you ladies for all your suggestions. After really thinking and talking about the old dress I really feel
    Like it’s living in the past to wear it. So I did find a new dress today at David’s Bridal. With the bridal fair discount that they honored for us it was $119. I do need to buy some accessories like vail and belt. But I can get them online much cheaper than there.
  • Courtney
    Dedicated September 2021
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aw good! This makes my heart so happy for you! Congratulations on finding “the dress” I’m sure it’s fabulous. Definitely online for belt is better for price. Congratulations and wishing you all the best ♥️
  • Alycia
    Expert September 2021
    Alycia ·
    • Flag

I bought my reception dress from Facebook marketplace. I would also try consignment shops and sample sales.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics