mrswinteriscoming
Rockstar December 2021

What ridiculous reasons have you heard for people not attending a wedding?

mrswinteriscoming, on November 25, 2021 at 3:01 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12
Saved
I read somewhere today that someone didn’t attend a wedding because they felt the couple who invited them were selfish for not giving them a plus one because they were single.

It was also not long ago that a friend told me that a whole family invited to his wedding refused to attend because the 1 year old child of one of the invitees wasn’t invited (despite it being a child free wedding).
This makes me wonder, just for laughs - what other ridiculous excuses have you yourself heard or heard through the grapevine for people giving to not go to a wedding?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Cristal, yesterday at 7:44 PM
  • Chloe
    Devoted February 2022
    Chloe ·
    • Flag
    FHs uncle wrote us a note explaining that he won't attend the wedding because "the future is too uncertain"... Whatever that's supposed to mean. Smiley smile
  • C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    My 4 cousins left our wedding before dinner was served because they had to take their dog out 🙄
    It wasn’t a decline, but it should have been.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    AFTER my hubby’s boss RSVP’d “yes” for him & his wife, they didn’t show because they were too tired/busy that day. 😡
  • Kim
    Savvy September 2022
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t attend a wedding if they didn’t invite my bf of 4 years (now, my fiance) and I wouldn’t go to a destination wedding if I was single and didn’t get a plus one. I think both are perfectly valid reasons to not attend. Weddings are not that fun if you don’t know anyone there
  • needmorewine
    Expert May 2016
    needmorewine ·
    • Flag

IMO there are no ridiculous reasons to RSVP no to a wedding invitation. It's said here all the time that it's an invitation, not a summons, and people are free to decline for any reason they see fit. It doesn't mean that they don't care about the couple or they aren't supportive of the marriage.

• Rosie
    Rockstar February 2022
    Rosie ·
    • Flag

Ooh I'm looking forward to reading more of these! We haven't had any wild ones so far (sitting at about 68% responded so far, so we have time still I guess!)

• A
    Beginner November 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t have any crazy excuses, but 21 people who rsvp’d yes did not show up to the wedding…
  • Mrs. Coakley
    Master June 2017
    Mrs. Coakley ·
    • Flag

Not for my wedding but for my baby shower last year my DH's grandma said she wasn't coming bc she was "having too much fun in Texas" -- she was visiting DH's uncle at the time and was supposed to come back WEEKS prior. Like whatever, I know baby showers are boring but just lie. Say you're sick, flight issues etc.. The way she said it was just an asshole move.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    21 no shows???? That’s SO much wasted money. 😫
  • A
    Beginner November 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea… I know… but I think the no shows hurt my feelings more than the money did…
  • Kristin
    Devoted December 2021
    Kristin ·
    • Flag
    One of my cousins declined because “he had nobody to watch his dog” … despite the fact that his fiancé had already said she couldn’t make it so she would have been home.
  • C
    Just Said Yes June 2023
    Cristal ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think not going because of a kid is a ridiculous reason. I wouldn’t go if my children couldn’t, I dislike leaving them in the care of others.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics