Hey ladies, So our wedding is supposed to be Aug 30th in NY this year, but more and more time ia going by where we're getting no answers as to when weddings will be allowed and how many. I have not sent our or ordered invites bc i dont know how many ppl we'll be allowed to have, and our gov just ordered a 14 day quarentine of ppl coming from FL which is like, a quarter of my quest list. If you were in this situation, when would be your last day to decide on postponing or canceling? I keep trying to hold out in hopes of things working out but slowly losing all hope...
My fiance and I agreed well ahead of time what we would make our final decision on whether to postpone by six weeks before our wedding. In the days leading up to the six week mark, we started having serious conversations on whether to postpone, and on the six week mark, we announced to our guests that we decided to postpone. Many of our guests were traveling in from other states, so we wanted to make sure we made the decision far enough out to where their travel plans could still be changed, but close enough to the wedding to give us time to see where things were with COVID.
Depends on how you’re requesting RSVP’s...if you’re expecting people to RSVP by mail, then the standard 6-8 weeks which you’re cutting it close to that mark. If you ask people to RSVP online, through email, text, phone call then I’d say less.
I agree with the pp. I’d see what they’re saying around mid-July and make your decision. You have to take into consideration that your guests will only have so many days to change their flights/hotels, etc. I’m so sorry you’re having to face this dilemma in the first place.
We set a deadline for ourselves to make a decision by June 10th for our Sept 12th wedding. We need a final count by Aug 22nd for the caterer and because everyone needs overnight accommodations and is traveling at least 2.5 hours we wanted to get invites out 12 weeks before the wedding. I also wanted to give myself a couple of days to address invites since I did it myself. With people traveling in, you really need to make a decision sooner rather than later for the sake of the guests. Unfortunately, holding out until there are guidelines may not be an option, depending on how long that takes. The whole situation really sucks, I’m so sorry!
Right now we know for sure 50 people will be allowed to gather at the very least in phase 4. invitations can go out no later than 6 weeks before. my venue said they dont need a final count until 7 days before the wedding. so if i were u id say send the invites mid july and tell them to rsvp by mid august. if youre comfortable with a 50 person wedding then youre golden. that number may go up as well. i may do an informal poll to see who would definitely come before sending invites so i dont waste an invite on someone
My final date would be July 1. If a quarter of your guests have to travel, I’d want to be considerate of their time and schedules by giving 2 months heads up, whether the wedding is moving forward or canceling.
My wedding is 8/9 and I just sent my invites out 2 days ago with an RSVP of 7/17. So that gives about 20 days for people to reply and then 3 weeks to plan accordingly. I know it will be tough for people that are traveling but I had sent out change the date cards in March so everyone is already aware not to mention I assume a lot of people traveling won’t because of Covid.
Samantha I’m in a similar situation to you. August 29 wedding in NY (Long Island to be more specific). I would say take a look at your other vendor contacts and see if there are any deadlines in those. My florist needs to know if there are and changes to our original (pre-COVID) plan at least 30 days before. Also half our guest list is out of state with a bunch that are in states with increasing numbers of cases. So our guests, if they still decided to come, would need to make travel plans. The guy I’ve been dealing with at my venue has proposed letting us know 40 days before whether they can still hold our wedding but that suggestion has to go through their legal department so I’m not counting on that deadline being approved. Good luck! Stay sane and healthy everyone!
Our wedding is in late Sept and we are in NYC (currently phase 2). We are having a conversation with the venue (phase 4) on Tuesday and hopefully we'll get more information then. We've already gone through and made a 50 person guest list, a 50% capacity guest list (75) and we have our original 85p guest list. To say this is stressful is an understatement. We are waiting until our discussion with venue to send out invitations, though we have a majority of my family from out of state (some in states under the travel quarantine, unfortunately), our original invitation send out time was mid July (thereby giving 8 weeks). I would make everyone aware that this could change on a dime and to let them plan accordingly. You can only do what you can do if your venue isn't giving you/or doesn't have the info yet. Best of Luck.
Thanks everyone. I have a meeting next wednesday with the venue but if they cnt give any information its looking more and more like we'd have to cancel. Most of our guests on my FH's side if from FL and quarentining may be an issue. Also, i doubt that we'll be able to have 130 people by end of Aug so our contract will no longer be valid- at least thats what people are telling me. This is just all so crazy. I emailed the Long Island Hospitality Association and they emailed me back saying they dont anticipate being allowed to hold weddings on LI before end Aug/Sept. Idk...i feel so lost with everything. Such a nightmare