We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

W
Beginner November 2021

What do you think, too small, just right, opinions?

Wehavechemistry, on July 5, 2020 at 4:33 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 17
Saved Save
Hi!

This is my first post. My boyfriend and I are two years into our relationship and have started to discuss engagement rings! I’m over the moon and excited to start this process. We both agreed that a custom made ring would be best and are trying to narrow down designs, stones, etc.
I want this ring to be special. My boyfriend and I were going through my old jewelry and noticed that I had a diamond pendant from my mother who passed away several years ago. I don’t have many things of hers, and she wore this necklace daily. We both thought that it might be nice to use the diamond from her necklace as a center stone. I really like it, but worry that my family will be snobby about it and say it’s too small.
I’ve included a photo of the necklace wrapped around my finger for reference. I’m a size 5.5, and I don’t wear jewelry often. What do you think, is it just enough or too small?What do you think, too small, just right, opinions? 1What do you think, too small, just right, opinions? 2
What do you think, too small, just right, opinions? 3

17 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I like it! It is so sentimental and it doesn’t look too small
  • W
    Beginner November 2021
    Wehavechemistry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I think it’s a really nice touch for a ring. I love it, I just don’t want to show up to family functions for my BF to be subjected to judgment by my relatives who believe 1.5+c’s are the norm.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    As someone who has heard some negativity regarding my ring (I didn’t want a diamond), people always have opinions, but you don’t have to listen. I think it’s really sweet that this was your mom’s that she wore every day and now you will get to wear it every day. This piece has far more value than a 1.5+ carat diamond ring your boyfriend could buy anywhere because its value is something money can’t buy. Best wishes!
  • L
    Super July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    I think it's an awesome idea!! Very meaningful! And as a previous comment mentioned, people will always have opinions. It's not their opinion that matters - it's your opinion that matters.
  • W
    Beginner November 2021
    Wehavechemistry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I really needed to hear this. Thank you
  • Nefetera
    Rockstar March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    If that would make you happy why not. It's a plus bc it's part of your mom
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    I love this idea! It’s YOUR ring & who cares what anyone else thinks?!? It’s very dainty and it has a special meaning. Go for it!!!
  • W
    Beginner November 2021
    Wehavechemistry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much. My mind is being put at ease. It reaaaally sucks that people can be negative. This is also my second marriage so I’m already being judged 😓. It’s rough
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is our first marriage, but FH and I have been together over seven years and have two kids together, so I understand the judgement. It’s your life, do what makes you happy and do your best to let go of any negativity people give you- that’s easier said than done, but life is a work in progress.
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag

If you love it, no one else's opinions should matter. It's beautiful and you don't have to worry about it snagging on anything.

• Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s a beautiful idea and the ring would mean so much to you. Don’t worry about what others say.
  • L
    Beginner January 2021
    Lydia ·
    • Flag
    My ring is 0.5 carat diamond from my moms wedding ring. Granted my fingers are tiny, I’m a 3.75 but I don’t think there’s a too small for wedding rings especially if it’s sentimental.
  • A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s beautiful! The sentiment behind is just makes it that much more powerful and meaningful. Forget everyone else. You are the one who will be wearing it forever, so it doesn’t matter what they think. You certainly won’t owe them an explanation, but if you do decide to say something in response to any comments, “it was my mom’s” should shut them up.
  • M
    Super January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

This is not picking on you OP, at all, but it is so odd to me that there are suddenly several posts asking if their rings are too small. This is so completely about personal preference and, to me, not something I would ever think to ask any other opinions on, let alone strangers.

To everyone with an engagement ring, enjoy it! If you love it, it's perfect.

• L
    Beginner January 2021
    Lydia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally agree!
  • W
    Beginner November 2021
    Wehavechemistry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I just started on here so I haven’t seen many posts. I think I’m just nervous with getting it right.
  • Maria
    Dedicated August 2019
    Maria ·
    • Flag

Considering the sentimental value, that replaces everything else. I wouldn't worry about size. If it bothers you that much then you can pick a larger center stone and use your mothers diamond as a side stone on the ring.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles