We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kaitlyn
Savvy October 2021

What are you doing to cut back wedding expenses?

Kaitlyn, on August 19, 2019 at 2:41 PM Posted in Planning 6 55
Saved Save
Curious what everyone’s cutting back on in order to save money. Some things that are more important to me will get the money instead, like a mid/top shelf open bar. I’m cutting back on:

1. Not having a guest book
2. Having a budget of $1,000 for a dress
3. Not doing the lighting package for the DJ
4. Not having a videographer
5. Likely going to have a small wedding cake just to cut for tradition, and likely will do cupcakes or donuts for everyone
6. No champagne toast - guests can toast with what they're drinking

Let me know what you’re cutting back on, or what you’re not doing in the comments below!

55 Comments

• Jennifer
    Dedicated October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

We're skipping a lot of that too! We saved money by skipping favors, paying our photographer by the hour, and finding vendors giving good deals through Facebook bridal groups. We're also skipping anything extraneous, such as a photobooth, dessert bar, welcome gifts, etc.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Our guests just like to drink, so top shelf wouldn't be appreciated as much as just a full open bar. We skipped table side wine. We skipped DJ lighting. We didn't have a ton of decor, our venue had a lot of pretty features and flowers so they weren't needed. We did a dessert table instead of cake. We did a plated salad then buffet dinner vs. a full plated dinner!

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

1.) We kept our guest list to close family and friends and their dates.

2.) We're also doing a small cutting cake and cupcakes for guests.

3.) We're semi-DIYing our florals. A florist in our area has an option where you can select your flowers like you typically would with a full service florist, but they host a DIY "party" for you and 5 friends to put together all of the arrangements. They have an instructor there to teach you and you can bring food, drinks, music, etc.

4.) We're DIYing other decor like signs, our card box, and our guest book.

5.) Buffet/station dinner instead of a plated meal.

• Kaitlyn
    Savvy October 2021
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We’re skipping all of those too! I also never knew welcome gifts were a thing!
  • Keri
    Expert November 2019
    Keri ·
    • Flag

Very similar!

- Our date! Friday November 1st was exactly half the price of Saturday, October 26th. For 3.8k we get ceremony/reception venue, set up/break down, chiavari chairs, tables, tablecloths, DJ, DOC.

-No champagne toast (especially since we have an open bar)

-No favors (Unless you count photobooth and late night snack)

-No videographer

-BM/MOH only (Didn't do this for budget reasons, but it does help)

- Dress was $1200 with less than $100 in alterations

-Gourmet cupcakes instead of tiered wedding cake

- Limiting guestlist to 175 which I still think is way too many. We are hoping for declines since 50-60% of guests live 2+ hours away.

-Unnecessary signs

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    We had a really inexpensive ceremony. Didn't have to pay for officiant since our pastor offered to do it free. We didn't have any decor other than my diy centerpieces and those I managed to do for $1 each. And printing was free for us since we have a friend who owns a shop. Photo/video services were essentially free for us too since my friend is a wedding photographer videographer. All I had to do was pay for her airfare to come here since she doesn't live here anymore but that was very inexpensive.
  • F
    Devoted October 2019
    Future Mrs Wilson ·
    • Flag
    No photo booth
    No videographer
    No limo (wedding and reception are at same location)
  • H
    Super September 2019
    H ·
    • Flag
    We are eloping so we are skipping eveeeerything but a photographer, my dress, his attire, and I guess you could say his band too but he never wanted one. Instead, he opted for a "wedding band" tattoo.
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    • Flag
    Our wedding was already cheap because of our guest list and having our wedding on a weekday and that kind of narrowed our choices to begin with. Big fancy venues didn’t want small guest counts, most vendors either wouldn’t work with us or they offered elopement rates(we have 30 guests) so honestly we didn’t cut anything out to save money other than transportation but we didn’t need it. We still tried to keep things reasonable while getting the things we wanted.
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

We skipped a videographer, a DJ, and also went with cupcakes along with a one tier cake. My dress was $100 so I saved a lot there. We did decide to have champagne and are currently debating between two types of low cost bubbly we really like. We also decided to provide beer and wine along with a signature drink, but skipped the liquor.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

We are skipping flowers all together. My aunt is making brooch bouquets for us. My other aunt is doing all of the baked goods for free as a wedding present.

Also we extended the DJ's contract so he will be providing ceremony music for us instead of us hiring others to provide the ceremony music, this turned out to be a much cheaper option. The photographer is from smaller town, and even with her travel fee she is much for reasonably priced compared to the photographers where we live.

We are also doing a plated salad for dinner followed by a buffet to keep costs low. Also signing up for emails from places to know when sales are going on helps, annoying but helps. Our ceremony and reception are in the same place so less money going towards ceremony rentals. We are having a limited bar with 2-3 types of beer and a white and red wine. Any mixed drinks the guests will have to pay for, this is also the norm where I am.

• Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

We skipped uplighting, a videographer, H wearing a suit he already owned, small 2 tier cake and sheet cakes for the rest, no save the dates, no favors, no photobooth, I bought my dress the same day as my appointment which saved me 20%, and we shopped around a lot for cake/flowers.

• D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    No pro video
    Friendor DJ for like 1/3 price. He's done a ton of weddings, we know his work.
    Supplying our own alcohol
    Keeping flowers to a minimum
  • Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

We're getting married 10 minutes from FH's hometown in a very small town so our venue and vendors are a lot less expensive than most everything around here (and we get to rent our venue for Thursday-Saturday). We won't be having alcohol because our venue is in a dry county, but it's not a huge deal for people in our circles. We bought nice plastic utensils, plates, and cups and paper napkins instead of renting "real" tableware. I bought our centerpieces and most decorations from other brides on Facebook. I, also, got my wedding dress off Facebook Marketplace for a lot cheaper than online (it was brand new without any alterations).

• Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I'm skipping the champagne toast as well! Also probubly skipping favors, doing DIY florals, DIY backyard rehersal dinner, diy stationary with no programs, etc
  • I_Do_Too
    Dedicated September 2020
    I_Do_Too ·
    • Flag
    - no videographer
    - comparing a ton of vendors, lots of emails back and forth!
    - my Fiance was able to negotiate with venues to see what deal we could get
    - I got my dress on Stillwhite. Will need alterations.

• Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

1. Opting to do a buffet instead of a plated meal

2. No videographer

3. Beer, wine, and two signature drinks instead of an open bar

4. For favors we have koozies (I know it sounds super hick but we live in Texas and this has become a big thing at most wedding I've been to recently) and we'll be baking cookies to put into these adorable personalized bakery bags I found on etsy

5. Limited dress budget to $1200 tops

6. Hoping to do a small cake and dessert table

7. DIYing my flowers from Fifty Flowers

Gotta cut corners to stay in budgetSmiley smile

• Alicia
    Dedicated June 2021
    Alicia ·
    • Flag
    I'm doing all my own decorations, most are down with doller tree items
  • Kellie
    Dedicated June 2020
    Kellie ·
    • Flag
    We aren’t having a DK/band or videographer. Two tiered cake, $500 wedding dress budget.
  • Laura
    Devoted January 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    We’re getting married on a Friday night in January which was a lot less expensive for my area (it’s expensive to get married in New Orleans!)
    We also didn’t send out Save the Dates. We didn’t pay for an engagement session (I won one!). My Church is beautiful and so I decided to lower my budget for the venue, dress, and other items, just to get the church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles