I come from an Asian Catholic family - both of our sides expect this big, 300 person wedding with 50 additional Godparents walking down the aisle with us, all the little girls we know as flower girls, spotlight on all of our immediate family members, bouquet/garter toss, speeches from our moms, and a wedding slide show of our pictures.
- We are only keeping the guest list less than 200
- We have 4 Godparents total (2 pairs)
- only 2 flower girls (WHO CAN WALK, No babies!)
- no spotlight on immediate family members (i mean, it's OUR wedding)
- no bouquet toss: i hate that people use this as an excuse for you to get married or single shame. I was with my FH for 6 years before being engaged and people would HUNT me down to participate, just to tell me to get married. I may have a fortune bouquet toss but I'm scared people will get confused
- garter toss: i've always felt uncomfortable doing this and now that I'm in my 30s, I'm more of a prude. We come a from a culture where relationships/boyfriends were discouraged and now you expect us to be cheeky/flirty in front of our family members? And why does it have to be under the girl's dress? We're thinking of reversing it and I grab the garter under his pants hahaha
- speeches - i felt that speeches stopped being about the couple and more about family stories with road trips. It's not a family reunion, it's about the bride/groom. Our moms also tend to do "asian brag" and i hate that. We're gonna have someone interview them on camera and ask - describe bill as a kid, how did you know he was in love? what advice do you have for sarah? what advice do you have for them as a married couple? THAT way the context is about marriage and the couple The moms also tend to drag on and on with speeches. We may also do a surprise tribute for our moms and MAYBE do a quick slideshow of our pictures with our moms to thank them and proclaim our love.
- NO wedding slide show - honestly, i've never cared to watch them and people can get narcissistic about it. It drags on like speeches. I wouldn't expect people to sit through ours