We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Alex
Savvy May 2021

Wedding & Reception

Alex, on January 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved Save
Hi guys!
We’re recently engaged and looking to get married in 2021. I’m currently toying with the idea of getting married on our anniversary (May 5th) at city hall and having the reception a weekend or two after. Has anyone done this? Thanks!

7 Comments

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    There’s nothing wrong with doing that but can I ask why?
  • Alex
    Savvy May 2021
    Alex ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I sorta like the idea of keeping our original anniversary. But it doesn’t land on a weekend again until 2023. I’m not entirely sure I’d like to change our date?
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s up to you of course but if I were you I’d just choose another date. Whatever day you end up having your wedding on will be special because it’s the day you got married, regardless of any prior sentimentality about that date. I feel like it would detract from the special-ness of the ceremony if you were just doing it at a courthouse and didn’t get to celebrate with your family and friends right away, and it would detract from the special-ness of the reception because you’ve already been married for a couple weeks. Also I’m just thinking like as a wedding guest honestly my favorite part of weddings is watching the ceremony. You’re there to celebrate this couple’s love and entrance into marriage, right? I feel like it kinda cheats your guests to invite them to celebrate but not let them actually see you get married.

Again there’s nothing WRONG with doing what you’re suggesting, and it sucks to give up your anniversary but... in my opinion at least, finding a new anniversary is the better sacrifice to make of the options you have.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Daughter and SIL's anniversary of their first date fell on a Wednesday the year they got married, so they looked at the Saturday before and the Saturday after. Being in the same week was good enough for them, and having everyone they love witness their ceremony took priority over a particular date on the calendar.

• Amber
    Dedicated January 2022
    Amber Online ·
    • Flag
    We’re getting married on our 5 year anniversary 01/27/22. It ends up being a Thursday, but we’ll give people a lot of advance notice and we understand if people aren’t able to make it.
  • Amber
    Dedicated January 2022
    Amber Online ·
    • Flag
    Being a Thursday also saves us a good amount of money since our venue has cheaper weekday rates.
  • Terra
    Expert September 2020
    Terra ·
    • Flag

We're doing the whole shebang on our 8th anniversary, which falls on a Tuesday. The party is shorter and many people won't be in attendance, but that's fine. We're capable of keeping our date with minimal sacrifices and will not be offended by anyone declining their invitation because we know a Tuesday evening doesn't work with everyone.

Alternatively, I've seen tons of couples sign the papers and get legally married a few days prior to the celebration. Nobody has ever said anything negative about it because there's almost always a reason and honestly, if it makes the couple happy, who cares? As long as you're not trying to be sneaky about it (since that can hurt people's feelings), I don't see any reason not to.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles