We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

T
Dedicated February 2022

Wedding planning

Tiante, on August 8, 2020 at 5:54 PM Posted in Planning 0 18
Saved Save
How far out did you start planning and what was the reason/ what impacted your decision to start planning at that time ?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Kristine, on August 12, 2020 at 2:56 PM
  • L
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged in July 2019, and were originally planning our wedding for July 2020 (thanks to COVID, we've since postponed). We waited 3-4 weeks before we really started looking into planning anything. We wanted to enjoy being engaged for a few weeks before wedding planning craziness began. So by the time we started planning, it was around 10-11 months before our original date.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Was engaged for a year so I started almost immediately
  • Michelle
    Expert May 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

We booked our venue within 6 months of our engagement. The venue needed to be perfect and the one I wanted books up quickly so april 2019 we booked our November 2020 wedding. We have now postponed to May 2021. Making arrangements for flowers and booking photographer was done about 2-3 months after the venue was originally booked. I simply didn’t want to miss out on the venue/location by waiting. We are also doing a DW so the quicker I made decisions, the easier it will be for my guests to save and make travel arrangements.

• Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2021
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I started planning about a year and a half out. I wanted to make sure I had my choice of vendors (most of them tend to book out a year in advance), and plenty of time to save money for everything we wanted.
  • Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged July 2019 & picked a date almost immediately. Our date is 4/3/21 which we knew is going to be a very popular date so we started looking at venues within 2 months of being engaged. Found the perfect venue the weekend we started looking! One of the “must haves” when we made appointments with the various venues was it had to be all inclusive since we live 2.5 hours away. Our venue has the caterer, flowers & cake booked when we signed the contract so all we have to do is make appointments for the tasting, etc. We did have to contact the photographer & DJ to lock in the date. I’ve booked the officiant. One of the last things we have to do is choose the invitations but that’s part of the package we bought! Stress free (almost)!
  • Nicole
    Rockstar September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged in July 2018 and had our venue/first vendors booked by September. Not only am I a planner, but I knew the wedding I wanted was going to be pricier, so I wanted to know how much it was going to cost so I could save and pay off my vendors. While COVID has postponed our wedding (supposed to be July), I’m glad I get a couple more months to save for my catering bill.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    We decided to go a step further and get married, while packing glasses to move into our first place together. 9 months after we met. And had 2 weeks of moving, then started planning thigs and wed 4.5 months later.
    We actually finished the last planning 6 weeks out when the guys did their clothes, except for logging RSVPS ( which my mom did, her only part in planning) and then bringing all our stuff a day before anyone else arrived. A breather to relax.
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged December 2019 and I started planning right away for our August 2021 wedding. I started so early because I was really excited lol and I wanted to be able to kind of take my time and look around. I did a lot of wedding research trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I never thought about marriage before so I started with no idea about anything wedding related.
  • Margarita
    Devoted March 2021
    Margarita ·
    • Flag
    We started exactly one year before because I realized venues were booked so far in advance
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged on 1/11/19 and by March 2019 we picked our original wedding date of 10/10/20. In May we found the venue and around October 2019, I began planning. My goal was to be done with all plans and vendor bookings by January 2020 and mail save-the-dates that same month. The hope was to relax and enjoy the engagement during 2020 with no wedding planning to do until the last little tasks right before the wedding in October. Well the January goal was met and everything was going well... until COVID 🤪. But in June we decided to postpone to October 2021 and now everything is already done and planned. So we get even more time to chill out now!
  • A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    We started at the end of June as soon as the venue reopened and we were able to book a date. We would’ve started sooner, though. We got engaged in April, but Covid prevented us from being able to start planning right away. Our wedding is October 2021, and we booked everything this summer. We didn’t want to miss out on any vendors, and they booked quickly due to 2021 having so many weddings from people postponing. I’m also a teacher, so I have time in the summer to plan and meet with people that I do not have during the school year.
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged in March 2018 and began planning almost immediately. We booked our venue (1st vendor) on 5/5/2018 and got married 7/20/19.
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We planned our wedding in less than 8 months. DH proposed on NYE, we were married by the end of August.

We'd been together 6 1/2 years when he proposed, and we wanted to get married asap. Also, I had been engaged and half planned a wedding before, so I knew I didn't have much patience for the industry (love the community... hate the industry).

Basically - once we decided to get married, we just... did.

• Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged October 26, 2019 and had picked a date before we got home. We had our venue within a month and the rest of our vendors by March.
    I’m one of those people who likes to get the planning and prep work done and out of the way as soon as possible. Now we’re about 3 months out and just have small details to contend with... well that and Covid.
  • Amanda
    VIP December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

We got engaged on December 4th 2018. We enjoyed the holiday season and started wedding planning in Mid-January. We picked our date of June 27, 2020 and had a venue and all our vendors by April of 2019. We wanted to have time to save up and pay all cash for our portions of our wedding so we chose a longer engagement. Thanks to Covid...it will now be a two year engagement with our wedding postponed to December 12, 2020. I will say having a longer engagement has given us more time to plan, save and less stress overall. Covid has really been our only stress, that and the drama that comes with a large wedding party but that's FH's fault, he has too many friends.

• Patricia
    Dedicated September 2020
    Patricia ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged September 14th 2019 and I started planning righr way because I was too excited!
    Our whole wedding was planned before the end of the year. Thankfully I had everything ready before COVID hit. All we needed was to finish paying our vendors and buying small things like accessories. We are 6 weeks away and all I have left is markers, photo booth props and some platters.
  • Leonardia
    Dedicated June 2021
    Leonardia ·
    • Flag

We got engaged November 2019 and booked our venue February 2020. Our date is June 2021 and we have officially booked all of our services and now just have to wait and get them paid off Smiley smile For us it just started to flow together. All of our vendors came from recommendations or from some of the events we were able to attend before COVID hit.

• K
    Kristine ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, I’ve been planning for years. Before I met my fiancé. Haha.
    Well, I played the role of a wedding coordinator a few times, and found it super fun. So, I planned out my own desires. Although, they did change somewhat, I still use the basic ideas and outline for budgeting etc. Being on a small budget, I’m glad I did. Lol.
    Actually, I planned out several different scenarios for different seasons, budgets, numbers of guests, etc. It’s actually been pretty helpful!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles