leonormorrow
Savvy September 2020

Wedding planning mostly on own? Any tips?

leonormorrow, on November 5, 2019 at 7:40 AM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved Save
Hi all! I recently started wedding planning and, having already had a vision in mind, have finalised most major vendors (venue, photographer, florist, coordinator, caterer, etc). I’m hoping this means I’ve done most of the heavy lifting already, and my coordinator is going to help with the rest. It’s an exciting time, but I still feel like there’s so much more to do. Moreover, my mother lives across the country, as does my future MIL and one of my bridesmaids. The only person nearby is one of my bridesmaids an hour away. Any tips on managing what’s left of planning? Thanks!

6 Comments

• V
    VIP July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    While you have tackled the big stuff, there is always the small stuff that you will have to tackle as time gets closer. My suggestion is to take a day or two off prior to the wedding to make sure you have everything done that needs to be. I tried working the Thursday before my wedding while my husband and his family were trying to text me and call me about things and I ended up leaving work early because there was still little things that needed done and I was too distracted at work to actually accomplish my job.
  • Tish
    Savvy October 2020
    Tish ·
    • Flag
    I'm in the same boat as you. We aren't getting married until next October and our coordinator comes on 3 months before the wedding. We have booked our wedding and reception venues, the florist we have on retainer and are working through our proposal, we have our photographer, videographer and calligrapher - just not who is designing our invitation suite. My mother is over 2 hours away, future MIL's are 1 hour and 5 hours away, and none of my bridesmaids are in our city. I still feel like there is so much to do as well. Feel free to reach out anytime!
  • leonormorrow
    Savvy September 2020
    leonormorrow ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I think I am also just feeling a little disappointed because no one has really asked or offered support, even from a distance. And FH doesn't seem very interested either, saying that whatever I choose is fine, but not offering other input.

• Catherine
    Dedicated November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think it’s normal to feel overwhelmed with tasks and things... and I don’t think our loved ones are always aware of how they can help, especially when you’re six to nine months out. They could also think you have others helping! So it’s okay to communicate to them in a kind and perhaps desperate tone for their help :😉 The nice thing is You don’t necessarily need people to be close by to utilize them! I sent all my hotel tote bags and the things we put inside them to my sisters house for example (she lives a few hours from me). She’s steaming the bags and will bring them down to my wedding weekend and help me assemble and divvy them out to hotels. Another bridesmaid who is a professional executive assistant made my notepad lists into spreadsheets ...lol it’s the little things I’m finding are such a huge help... especially three days before. I even had one of my best friends who has my taste go pick out centerpieces for my rehearsal dinner and she FaceTimed me at the florist ... I just couldn’t be bothered with more floral arrangements other than the wedding and I needed a cheaper florist than the one I was using for the wedding!!!! ... anyways good luck and I’m sure it’ll be great! Get creative!
  • Tish
    Savvy October 2020
    Tish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    How FH and I have picked certain vendors or for me to get his input on styles, Ive Did the searching then narrowed it down. I present those options and ask his opinion. He had pretty much said I know whatever you choose will be great but once he got options, he had opinions lol. Which honestly, I like that he does, even if we don't exactly see eye to eye at first because it's about us, not just me. We've been fortunate to pick vendors that give us both what we want.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I had a coordinator as well but mostly for the day off and last month final coordination with vendors. The rest I did all myself! What worked for me is staying organize. Tackle one task at a time. Have list of those pending items and clear one or two at a time. I used Etsy a lot so I took a couple of weeks to save all the items I wanted at first. Then organized the lists pero reception, ceremony, wedding details, ect. After I found multiple of the same items I decided for 1 or 2 and removed the rest. I didn’t purchase all at once but I’ll purchase one every month or whenever the item was on sale. Organize is my best tip!

Comment on this discussion