Riley
Savvy September 2020

Wedding mask

Riley, on August 13, 2020 at 6:30 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 20
Saved
Hi everyone,

Our wedding is September 4th, 2020 and I am debating on masks. We will not be wearing them for the ceremony, neither will our wedding party, but afterward at the reception, should we? I am spending a decent bit on makeup and wouldn’t want to have it mess up and smudged around with a mask on. We are asking guests to wear them at the ceremony and whenever not eating, what do you think? If I were to get one, I would get a pretty lace one off Etsy. Just not sure what we should do. Everything is outside besides food serving which is inside, but everyone will be eating outside.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsey, on August 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM
  • B
    Dedicated September 2020
    B2B2020 ·
    • Flag
    As long as you are distanced from others I wouldn't wear them. We aren't wearing them for the ceremony, however our guests and bridal party are. I found fabulous clear mask on Etsy!
  • M
    VIP January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

The mask you wear protects others; their masks protect you. Assuming masks aren't required for everyone where you live (which would make this question moot), if you are "asking guests to wear them at the ceremony and whenever not eating", you should absolutely also be wearing them whenever you can't be more than 6 feet away from others. Your guests deserve the same protection and peace of mind you are seeking for yourself.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think it would be mindful if you did
  • Tonilynn
    Dedicated September 2020
    Tonilynn ·
    • Flag
    We are providing them at the reception but I will not be the mask crazy lady yelling at people. Everyone can make their own decision we are all adults!! I am doing them as favors and they can choose to or not to. We are doing a small wedding open terrace so some what outside too. Reception area holds well over the 45 people we are expecting lol
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    If you’re expecting it of your guests (which you should,) then you should also wear one. They’re protecting you, you protect them.
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    Pending your guests and their relationships with one one another is how I would base that decision. We will be providing masks for our wedding (optional) it’s outdoors as is the reception, additionally 1/2 are family and the other 1/4 work together daily and the last 1/4 work together daily. So we won’t mando it, we‘lol leave it up to them.
  • Christina
    Devoted July 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    I would think as long as their wearing mask your fine, just keep your distance ! Or maybe get a mask just in case, like when your walking around to say thank you to ppl and such.
  • VIP August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Yes, please wear masks whenever you have to be near people! I also paid for makeup and having a mask on didn't ruin it at all. I felt like the makeup on the lower part of my face melted slightly, but it's not noticeable at all in pictures, my husband couldn't tell even after I pointed it out, and I was literally running around in 90° heat before the wedding, so as long as you don't do that, you'll definitely be fine.
  • H
    Devoted August 2023
    Hhh ·
    • Flag
    For the relatively low price of a lace mask, it is a good idea to get it now and worst case you don’t use it. Same strategy as bringing a Tide pen and needle/thread so if you have it if you need it!

Honestly, regardless of you plans going in, at some point in the day you will probably want to be extra cautious with friends/family, especially if they are older, by wearing it and you won’t want to be caught using a random disposable one!
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

I will not be wearing a mask at my wedding, nor would I attend a social event where they were required. If you're expecting it of your guests you probably should wear it yourself, so if you don't want to wear one, make it optional.

• Annika
    Expert November 2020
    Annika ·
    • Flag

We are wearing masks the whole time. Most of our guests are out of state and I just don't feel comfortable being around a bunch of new people without masks. We will also have hand sanitizer as favors and on every table to stop the spread of germs. We are asking that there be no close contact outside of your family units you traveled with as well. There's no point in postponing or rescheduling for us because this pandemic just keeps getting worse and I don't want to wait any longer to be married to my love.

• Leanne
    Super September 2020
    Leanne ·
    • Flag
    The mask situation gives me the most heartburn. We are providing masks for people, and I have a lace mask off of Etsy. However my fiancé and I do not plan on wearing masks nor do we plan on policing people if they do not feel like wearing one. Our ceremony is outside with an indoor reception. We are eating alone in the bridal suite and plan on keeping our distance. we will have masks on hand if we can’t at some point stay 6 feet apart from someone we are not normally around.
  • Leanne
    Super September 2020
    Leanne ·
    • Flag
    We are having a 50 person wedding, and I have seated people together that are already around each other, as well as spread the tables out among two floors of a very large venue.

If someone wants to wear a mask that does not bother me, we are providing masks for anyone who wants one.
  • Riley
    Savvy September 2020
    Riley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think we’re in the same boat together sounds like. I’m not forcing anyone to wear one! “Masks requested” is how I’m putting it. I hope your day is beautiful!
  • Michelle
    Devoted November 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

If you plan to be within 6 ft of anyone then, yes, you should be wearing a mask to protect the other person. I actually thought of this thread today while I admitted a patient to the hospital with COVID who got it from someone who was asymptomatic at the time.

• Keyanna
    Just Said Yes September 2020
    Keyanna ·
    • Flag
    I’m not wearing a mask, my wedding is 9/19/20. As long as guests wear them you should be good, also you don’t want to be in your pictures with masks on, people want to see teeth and smiles. After all you will have these pictures forever
  • Shy
    Savvy November 2020
    Shy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I seriously been thinking for a few days on how to suggest mask but not forcing it so I thank you for this!
  • FAWN
    Dedicated October 2020
    FAWN ·
    • Flag

I issued a " come at your own risk" Im not requiring it for my backyard wedding. no point if we are taking them off for ceremony, pictures, eating etc. everyone hates them just as much as we do. But i did let everyone know its not required in case someone is worried about it they can stay home or wear one if it makes them comfortable but im not forcing it on everyone for that person. however with us having an October wedding our reception is a masquerade and some type of mask will be worn... and the covid mask might fit right in there lol! Sorry not sorry.. no virus is gonna ruin our wedding any more then the seasonal flu... whick im wondering is that gonna be less bad this year then any other year with all the mask being wore.. we will see! and that will tell you if they really work or not Smiley smile

• Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

Unless your wedding is outside, I would personally. Though Etsy does have some lovely lace lined masks - I used one for a good portion of our wedding. Any time we couldn't socially distance or be outside, we had our guests wearing masks. Even for the ceremony, only us, our officiant and MOH/BM didn't wear masks.

We did some portraits without masks, and some with as well.

• Kelsey
    Dedicated October 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I asked my seamstress to make me a mask out of my wedding dress since a lot of the material had to be cut off the bottom anyways! She is going to add lace appliques from my dress so it will match and be really pretty (for a mask anyways). I am hoping to not have to wear a mask much at my wedding in October, but it may be a requirement while on the dance floor. It is good to have the option just in case, plus having a custom mask made from my dress may make me more excited to have to wear one!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics