L
Dedicated October 2020

Wedding invites

LISA, on February 11, 2020 at 9:02 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 18
Saved Save
I want to invite my coworkers to my wedding but not the husbands or wives. I just don't have the room. Is that wrong of me?

18 Comments

• Kirsten
    Dedicated October 2020
    Kirsten ·
    • Flag
    If I were invited to a wedding but told I couldn't bring my spouse, I wouldn't go. Maybe you can invite only your very closest coworkers (those you consider friends and hang out with outside of work) so they can bring a spouse.
  • L
    Dedicated October 2020
    LISA ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My office so small.. wouldn't others get offended?
  • Vicky
    Super January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Not more offended than being invited without their spouses/SOs.

• Chelsea
    Expert January 2021
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    I invited several of my coworkers with no plus ones and they were all very understanding! Plus they’ll all know each other. I think it’s fine to do that
  • L
    Dedicated October 2020
    LISA ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What made u do that?
  • Chelsea
    Expert January 2021
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We’re already pretty much at capacity for our wedding so we couldn’t accommodate the extra people.
  • M
    Devoted October 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag

Yes, that is not cool at all. Please do not exclude invited guests' significant others.

• L
    Dedicated October 2020
    LISA ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly why i don't want to Invite them..
  • Chelsea
    Expert January 2021
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If you think they would be offended then just skip inviting them all together. Me and my coworkers are super close and they were totally fine with the set up. If you think your coworkers wouldn’t be cool with it then skip the invites all together.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Yes, it’s wrong.
  • L
    Dedicated October 2020
    LISA ·
    • Flag
    Okay, but i already invited 2 of the ladies to the bridal shower..is it okay to just invite those ladies with their husbands?
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Super January 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    I’d invite them, explain the situation and if they don’t want to come without there SO fine. You extended your hand it’s perfectly fine for them to decline. That way no one gets hurt.
  • Nicole
    Rockstar July 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes! If you've already invited the two to your bridal shower, they need to be invited to the wedding. Include their husbands and call it a day. Maybe just mention to them on the side that you're not inviting everyone to the wedding, so to keep their invite hush.

• Samantha
    Dedicated January 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I don't think other people in your office would get offended, everyone understands how expensive weddings can be. But I agree with the majority, if you know the coworker has a spouse or has been in a long relationship you have to invite their plus one as well. In addition if you've hung out or got together outside of work hopefully it's not your first time meeting the spouse/significant other.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think it's ok to invite coworkers without inviting their spouse or bf/gf since you don't have the space and they'd all know each other anyway so it's not like it's awkward for the.
  • H
    Dedicated June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

If someone is close enough to be invited to your bridal shower, then it's absolutely unacceptable to not invite their husbands to the wedding (in my opinion). I think you're in a tough position because since you invited two of your co-workers to your bridal shower, I don't see how you can't include their husbands in the wedding invite. Which means that if you exclude the husbands of the other co-workers, then feelings might get hurt. Sorry I don't have an answer on this one...

• L
    Super May 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

It comes down to money and who you’d rather be there. If the choice is between inviting co-worker or you MIL bowling team, that’s different. But people understand you can’t invite all. I’m close to one person on my team. If I invited my boss, etc it would add up to over 10 people. I just try and keep wedding talk to a minimum.

• Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

Couples are a package. If you cannot accommodate all of them, I would not invite any of them. I would not attend a wedding where my husband was not allowed to attend with me.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics