Ellie
Devoted January 2020

Wedding Invitations?

Ellie, on September 29, 2019 at 6:52 PM Posted in Planning 0 8
Saved

How soon should wedding invitations go out? I was hoping to send mines out at the start of November or very end of the month but I'm wondering if that might be too late for those who would need to book hotels (large number of guests).

I hired a company to work on the invites but now I'm worried about whether or not it might work as far as timing goes. If not, does anyone have any recommendations for really nice high end looking elegant paper cut invitations? Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

8 Comments

Latest activity by MrsD, on September 30, 2019 at 12:01 PM
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

Did you send out Save the Dates already, particularly to the out-of-town guests?

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Daughter's wedding was mid-January, this year. Invitations went in the mail Thanksgiving week, with RSVPs due Christmas Day. At least a third of the guests were out of state or international. RSVPs were 100% online and everything worked out great. On the due date, there were only 10 guests/3 households we hadn't heard from and we had those resolved within 2 days. She had an 80% positive response and no no-shows. Eight weeks in advance is the rule of thumb and it worked perfectly for us.

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yep! I sent out Save the Dates months ago. However, they only had the date and location but not necessarily any hotel information.

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Whew that makes me feel a bit better! My wedding is January 25th 2020. I'm like almost in panic mode because some people have started asking me and other family about hotel accommodations which I get but I figured they could just get from the formal invitation... I just wasn't sure if it's enough time though. I'm working on setting up an online RSVP as well to hopefully make the process more seamless.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Invitations typically go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding. If you sent save the dates, out of town guests should already have the information they need to book their accommodations.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Daughter's website was on The Knot, and it was awesome. About half the guests were invited to the Rehearsal/Welcome dinner (wedding party and all out-of-town guests), so she had two different RSVPs set up on the website and it was seamless -- even with meal choices, etc.

If your out-of-town guests don't yet have the website address, with the accommodation info, I might email/text it to them before sending out the invitations. We just emailed OOT'ers and told them we didn't do a block (there are so many options where the wedding was and it was off-season, so not really an issue), but that the website had info about locations/options they might consider in booking their accommodations. We probably had people stay in 8-10 different locations, depending on their plans, length of stay, and chain preferences. It worked out fine. Good luck!

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you so much for this advice and information! I'll definitely work on getting info out about the website and accommodations before the formal invite.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We sent save the dates 10 months out, and invites 3 months out. Guests had their invites for 6 weeks before we asked for the RSVP.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics