We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Alyssa
Dedicated August 2021

Wedding favors

Alyssa, on July 30, 2020 at 5:08 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save
I’ve heard guests don’t usually use or take wedding favors , is it worth the money? or none at all?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Hanna, on July 31, 2020 at 12:29 PM
  • Katie
    Expert August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I think it depends on the people who are invited and what the wedding favor is. I've gone to weddings where they gave cookies with their wedding date and names on them and they all seemed to go. Everyone was eating them or giving them to someone at the wedding that wanted another one. My cousin did a little bag of m&ms and a wine glass, most of them went but some people left theirs behind. We are doing a candy buffet and giving everyone a Mason jar to fill up with the candy. I don't think I've been to one where there was no wedding favors but I have heard of people not doing them. If I was you I'd just stick with a food item like candy or cookies as a favor cause 9 times out of 10 people will definitely take the food item.
  • H
    Super June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

In my opinion, it depends if the favor is edible or not. When the favors are edible, guests are always eager to take these and very few get left behind. Non-edible favors are the ones that usually get left behind or thrown in the trash later.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    Depends on what it is. For instance if it’s like a shot glass with your name on it the likelihood of someone using it again is not very high
  • Molly
    Rockstar September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

If you do favors make them edible or skip them.

• L
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I agree with Molly. Either do something edible, or skip them altogether. My sister had koozies as her favors, and so many of them were left behind at the end of the night (though a few people did take them!). I've seen favors that were edible, and a lot fewer of them were left behind (or if they were left behind, they were already eaten). My fiance and I are doing chocolate covered cherries as our favors, since the area we're getting married in is known for their cherries.
  • Jana
    Rockstar October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Favors are not cheap and so many get left behind that it makes more sense to save the money for a rainy day or put it toward food/drink/entertainment. Even edible favors get left behind. I would save your money and skip them.
  • Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Of the dozen or so weddings I've been to in the last few years, I remember two that had edible favors and one that had a non-edible favor that I actually used. I think most of the others had favors, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what they were. If my experience is representative, I would say it's not worth it to do something that 75% of your guests will forget about unless it's very important to you.
  • mrswinteriscoming
    Expert December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming ·
    • Flag

Personally I think they are a BIG waste of money! Between shot glasses with the couple's names on them to salt and pepper shakers, I have seen so many favours go to waste.

I agree with PP that edible favours are nice if you can be bothered. The only favour I've seen to date that I have actually used was a keyring - at one wedding I was at, they had a professional photographer going around taking photos of couples, families etc, and at the end of the night you could take home a custom keyring with the photo taken sealed in plastic. It was very sentimental.

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't waste money on it, your guests wont care! You invite them to the wedding, they thank you by giving you a gift, you thank them for coming by feeding them, you thank them for the gift with a thank you card.... how many gifts and thanks do we need to be giving? Lol. I feel like it's enough without them.

• L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

I personally think food-honey, syrup, chocolate, etc-is the only way to go. I would most likely not use a thing with the bride and grooms name, Date, etc. on it. I’m doing a frosted sugar cookie. I had a friend who made her own special cookie (her signature cookie) had it cut as a wedding bell, and froze them ahead. I guess you need to know your crowd too.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Naw, skip ‘em. Only offer them if you want and make ‘em edible: cookie, cake pop, candy bar, candied Apple, chocolate truffle, etc.
  • A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    You can skip them if you want. Guests won’t miss them.
    If you want to do them, edible favors are your best bet. Whatever you do, don’t give inedible favors with your name and date on them (unless it’s a picture).
    The only inedible favor I’ve liked was a photo printed from a photo booth. There were fun props and the photo was a collage of four silly images. That was both fun and memorable!
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We skipped favors, and absolutely no one noticed or said a thing.

Unless favors are edible, I usually don't find them to be something I want to take home.

• H
    Super June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

One more thing that I forgot to add is that favors can be very simple to DIY, i.e. buy some hershey's kisses, or mints, etc. in bulk, tie them in some ribbon and tulle, and you can easily make them for under $50. If you want to have favors but budget is a concern, then I'd recommend going this route.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles