Skip to main content
Jessica
Just Said Yes September 2021

Wedding Dress Second Thoughts?!

Jessica, on November 24, 2020 at 7:18 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved
Anyone else already purchase their wedding dress, but now having second thoughts on it?! When I found “the dress” my mom said I absolutely shined in it (and I remember feeling so happy in it), but looking back on some of the photos I don’t get the same feeling. I’m nervous when I put it back on for my first fitting, I won’t feel the same way about it. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I trust the feeling I had when I first put the dress on or see if I can exchange it? HELP!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Suzanne, on December 2, 2020 at 5:31 PM
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

Nope happened to me and I ended up exchanging my dress. I have no regrets as I loved my new dress. If you feel you need to go shopping some more and if there is something else you like.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I recommend trying on your dress again first before shopping for other dresses - you may end up remembering why you chose it! If you put it on and still doubt your decision, then maybe look into either alterations options to turn it into a dress you'd love, or ask about the return/exchange policy at the store you bought it from.
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    Have you tried it on again after 1st picking it out? I loooooooved my dress when I picked it out. Had no doubt it was The One. But during the next 7 months waiting for it to come in, I looked at the pics of me in it and wasn’t really blown away. I was worried I had spent thousands of dollars on a dress and what if I didn’t like it when it arrived? But when i finally got the call and went in to try it on... I loved it even more!!
  • B
    VIP July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

I agree with Lisa and Chrysta, you should go back and try on your dress. When I was waiting for mine, I definitely had second thoughts. Once I got it on again, though I knew it was the one for me.

• Michelle
    Rockstar December 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Try on your dress again. There's a reason you fell in love with it in the first place. Plus it will look better after it's been fitted to you.
  • Sarah
    Super August 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    So I got my dress because I let everyone hype me up about how good I looked in it. I felt great and was so excited I bought it. After a few weeks the excitement faded and I've come to realize I actually hate it. Its not the type of dress I had wanted, and quite honestly if I saw it on somebody else I would never be like omg its a beautiful dress. I don't get it until the end of January, I can't exchange it and financially I'm not willing to take the loss, I spent more on it then I originally planned. I'm hoping when I put it on again I'll get the feeling. Some weeks I can talk myself into thinking I like it, this is just not one of those weeks lol.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Go back and try on your dress.
    No, I didn't have that happen to me but I knew a wedding gown wasn't my thing.
  • Michelle
    Master April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Totally agree with everyone! Try that dress on again!
  • CountryBride
    VIP April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag
    I love my dress but the excitement faded I have 17 months to go and am 5 months pregnant so I look awful I keep looking at pictures of me and cringe cause I see a bowling ball it’s a trumpet gown and is very unforgiving
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I would at least try it on again after you’ve gotten all the necessary alterations
  • Victoria
    Devoted June 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag

Hi Jessica!

That's a healthy fear! We all feel a little nervous about not loving our dress as much. I recently bought a second dress to wear for the reception that is completely different than my first dress and I was afraid I was going to like this dress much more than my first but when I tried on my ceremony dress I felt the same exact way I did when I first tried it on. Such an amazing feeling! If you don't like your dress yes, just exchange it. No biggie!

• Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Yes! Trust the initial feeling because it’ll return on wedding day. But, it’s a big expectation to think you’d have the same exact first-time feelings every time you look at your dress now. I’m sure the dress is beautiful and your FH and guests will feel the same way.
  • L
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Lily ·
    • Flag

It happens to the best of us! There's this great website where many brides sell their dresses second hand too Smiley smile https://www.bride2bride.co.uk

• Erin
    VIP September 2023
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    It entirely depends. I got my first dress, and I. The store I absolutely loved it, I thought it was gorgeous and I felt beautiful in it. 3 weeks later, my dress came in, and when I tried it on I felt grotesque, and like I had gained a whole lot of weight, and it brought up a lot of body image issues that I have been battling for most of my life. I ended up exchanging it for a dress that I had really loved before, but my mom and FMIL felt was “too boring” and I couldn’t be happier that I decided to exchange my dress. It’s one of those things that you won’t know until the dress comes in, and you’re able to try it on and see it outside of the bridal shop.
    For the pictures below, the first dress is my new dress (although I ordered it in Ivory) and the 2nd one is my oldest dress.Wedding Dress Second Thoughts?! 1
    Wedding Dress Second Thoughts?! 2

• Victoria
    Devoted June 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, they're both beautiful but I can def tell that you're glowing in your new dress!

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Many places that say no exchanges actually do allow some changes, if the dress you want is more expensive, and they jave itin the shop or can get it quickly.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Great improvement, I love the first dress.
  • Mary
    Dedicated December 2020
    Mary ·
    • Flag

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I loved my dress when I bought it 2 years ago. I had it altered and am not in love with it anymore. My wedding is in 10 days - so I am hoping that by the time I have hair, makeup and the jewelry I will feel elegant and bridal.

• Suzanne
    Dedicated July 2021
    Suzanne ·
    • Flag

I was supposed to get married last summer but I postponed a year due to the pandemic. Meanwhile, I lost 6 dress sizes and my dress had smoke damage from the wildfires in Oregon. Minimal smoke damage, but I was convinced I needed a fresh look for a new wedding in 2021. Part of letting my old 2020 wedding date go was revamping my wedding vision, and that included a new dress! I'll pick my new dress up next week and I already donated my old one to charity. I think it's ok to change my mind--I've changed my bridesmaids, my dress, and the guestlist. Sure it's money and it matters, but I see it as coping with everything that's happened this year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics