We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Gabby
Beginner October 2021

Wedding Dress Regret

Gabby, on March 11, 2020 at 2:00 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved Save

Hi all,

I just recently purchased a wedding dress ( put a deposit down) and now am having second thoughts! (ah!). Is this normal? I loved the dress on in the store, was comfortable in it, made me happy but now looking at pictures I'm not loving it. I'm not sure if this "wow" excitement is actually supposed to happen post purchase, but I don't feel that looking at it now.

Any advice?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Gabby, on March 19, 2020 at 12:27 PM
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    There are a billion threads of women asking the same thing, don't worry!!! The anxiety is super normal because it's a huge purchase, and when you do make a decision you may start questioning yourself because you see other dresses you like too. Is there any way you can try the sample on again? Just to make sure you love it? It's common to be anxious about your dress, but you did pick it for a reason.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    Very normal. See if you can exchange before final deposit.
  • Jennifer
    Dedicated May 2021
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    I did the exact same thing. I went back a week later and swapped my dresses out.
  • Katie
    Devoted March 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag

This is TOTALLY NORMAL! Try and take some time away from all things wedding dress and revisit this in a week. When you do look at your dress try and distinguish between these two worries:

1. Are you worried that there's a better/more WOW/prettier dress out there for you?

2. You're really just not loving the dress at all and were just overwhelmed in the moment?

If it's the first, then I say - if you always worried about there being "something better" out there, then you wouldn't have your wonderful FH that you're about to get married to! This is just nerves around an important wedding purchase and you should stick to your dress!

If it's the second, then try and get back to the store and see if you can try the dress on again. Maybe try on a few others or a few different styles to see if anything else gives you that same amazing feeling. Maybe you just need the reassurance that you made the right choice, or maybe your dream dress is really out there still!

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

It's very normal to have doubts. go back and try on the dress in person and see if you still feel the same way. At the same time try on some other styles and see if they give you that feeling. It's likely just nerves, we all go through it.

You can always purchase a back up dress and decide later.

• Don
    Super February 2021
    Don ·
    • Flag
    Hi Gabby,
    Many of us brides to be have dress regret, I found my dream dress after trying on about 20, but I wasn't crying or having a " it's the one " moment, I tried on another 20 before I was sure, but even now I wonder if I should have taken my runner up dress, I get married in Feb. 2021, plenty of time to second guess myself!!Wedding Dress Regret 1
    First two are my dress, third one is my runner up dressWedding Dress Regret 2
    Wedding Dress Regret 3

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Totally normal. I would ask if there’s things to the dress you can do to help you like it e.g accessories and then I would ask if it’s cause of the dress itself or cause you feel maybe there’s other options? For me I had dress envy a lot. I would be so happy with mine but I’d see other gowns and think man that’s pretty too
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I tried dresses on. The girl pulled a dress I had no interest in trying on I fell in love with it in the store and had them hold it for me so I could call the next day and buy when they had their sale. As soon as I left the bridal store and went to go have dinner I kept thinking do I even like that dress? It's not my style at all. But know when I go look at other dresses I find myself thinking about how much I really do love my dress! Dress regret is very real and happens often. You picked that dress for a reason!

• Gabby
    Beginner October 2021
    Gabby ·
    • Flag

Thank you all for the feedback! The dress regret was real and I ended up going back to the store to get to the bottom of it. I actually found a different dress I'm in love with and they were able to transfer my deposit to the new dress. I also tried on my original and knew it wasn't for me. Glad i listened to my gut!

Thanks again for all of your notes- it's such an overwhelming process but in the end glad I went back!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics