Skip to main content
A
Just Said Yes June 2022

wedding dress regret

Alana, on May 10, 2021 at 9:22 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved
Ladies, i was so so happy when i put on this dress. I was super excited, i cried, and that whole entire day i kept opening my phone just to stare at my dress. But now, I鈥檓 having serious anxiety that i chose the wrong dress. I keep looking at other dresses and it鈥檚 making me believe even more that i definitely wasted my money and went with the wrong dress. HELP! 馃槶馃槶wedding dress regret 1
wedding dress regret 2

24 Comments

Latest activity by Charlotte, on May 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online
    • Flag
    That is a beautiful dress!! For now, I would stop looking at other dresses. If possible, go back and try on your dress again, and you'll likely remember why you said yes to it. If you still regret it, you can always ask the dress shop if they can exchange it. Or, you can ask a seamstress to make alterations to change the things you don't like.
  • whirlwind
    Devoted March 2021
    whirlwind
    • Flag

It's called dress regret and it's pretty common.

It is a beautiful dress and looks great on you.

Try to stop looking at other dresses - that doesn't help. Remind yourself how you felt in the dress when you tried it in and why you chose it. I also went through dress regret (and after that through alteration anxiety) but when I reminded myself why I chose my dress and that it had everything I wanted that helped. For example I sometimes got tripped up by all the beautiful ball gowns I saw online and wondered if I made a mistake with my A-line but in my heart I knew I wanted something more comfortable than a heavy ball gown plus pur reception was in the afternoon outside. Sometimes I looked at all the beautiful fit and flare dresses and wondered if I should have gone that route but had to remind myself that when I tried dresses on the A-line dresses were by far the most flattering for my figure.

Again, you look lovely and I am sure when the dress comes in you'll love it. If you can't shake your doubts talk to the salon if you can try it again.
    If you had the wow-moment and loved your dress, I am sure it will be fine. The stories of brides that changed their dresses are usually brides that never felt 100% confident with their dress and/or gave into pressure from sales person/mom/friends and bought something that they didn't really want.
  • A
    Just Said Yes June 2022
    Alana
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Soo what you went through is me but im the exact opposite! i picked this bc i fell in love and was overwhelmed with happy emotions! but now im thinking more about it, my wedding is all outdoors and i cant stop thinking that i shouldve went with an A-line dress bc my dress is too much for the venue im getting married in
  • whirlwind
    Devoted March 2021
    whirlwind
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It will be fine. The dress looks light and airy and beautiful. Is it very heavy? It doesn't look heavy at all.

Unless you're getting married outside in the winter, I think it's totally appropriate for an outside wedding. It's your wedding and you're supposed to look gorgeous and not practical.

You'll probably need some help with the train of your dress during ceremony and pictures (but that's true for pretty much every bride) and before the reception the dress should get bustled (but that's the same inside of you don't want people to step on your dress). It will be fine. Just find shoes that work well for outside.
  • whirlwind
    Devoted March 2021
    whirlwind
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

If you are really worried you can also ask your seamstress to shorten the train. But that would be a shame because it's so beautiful.

• Elizabeth
    Dedicated August 2022
    Elizabeth
    • Flag
    That is a gorgeous dress and you look stunning in It!
  • Grace
    Super February 2022
    Grace Online
    • Flag
    I have gone to my parents house to try on my dress again so many times to remind myself that I made the right choice. It is common to have dress regret inbetween purchasing it and the wedding but stick it out until you can try it on again. If you still feel like you made the wrong choice when you are wearing it, then you can start talking about if you need to alter your dress or buy a new one. You have more than enough time before June 2022 to make any changes you need.

You look gorgeous in the photos! You are so happy you are glowing and the dress suits you very well. I think it looks perfectly suitable for an outdoor wedding (except if it is raining, in which case you might want to bustle it).

Do you have any other concerns aside from your dress not matching your venue?
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari
    • Flag

So your smile in that dress is incredible!

Grass is always greener is a common phenomenon with everything, including wedding dresses. Add in that most people only ever plan to have one wedding, plus all of the societal pressure of having a "perfect" wedding and shows like "Say Yes to the Dress" and social media, and brides tend to worry that they picked the wrong dress because there are so many options out there and you can't have everything in ONE dress.

The dress is beautiful on you, you look stunning it in, and you look happy. Have you been able to put the dress on again since picking it out? Sometimes there is a lot of anticipation in getting your wedding dress and then once the decision is made and you aren't still looking but also haven't seen your dress since you picked it out, weird emotions come out. After I bought my dress I kept searching for a possible reception dress, just because I felt like I wasn't ready for it to be over. I LOVE my dress and still think I picked the best dress for me, but it doesn't make me not want other dress options too.

• Chelsea G
    Devoted June 2021
    Chelsea G
    • Flag

You look beautiful in the dress! You have to remember the feeling you had when you put it on and why you chose/bought it. Honestly it would probably just help to stop looking at other dresses. These other dresses look nice too but that doesn't mean it would be the dress you're missing. Try your dress on again to see if that helps ease anything.

• Maddie
    Rockstar February 2022
    Maddie
    • Flag

This dress is so pretty! Just stop looking at dresses! I know it's hard and I'll prolly have the same problem, but just remember how happy it made you when you first tried it on. Maybe get a simpler one for the reception? Is that an option?

• Candace
    Dedicated May 2021
    Candace
    • Flag
    First off this dress is beautiful!! But I have to say dress regret is very real! I had it! I bought one dress an months had passed an I started to hate it more and more every time I looked at it. I went back an bought a different dress and I鈥檓 so glad I listened to my gut!
  • Katherine
    Expert October 2021
    Katherine
    • Flag
    I did the same thing. I started to think I picked the wrong dress.. I recently put my dress on for a fitting and fell in love with it again. Hopefully you feel the same about yours.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie
    • Flag

Oh wow - that dress is gorgeous!!! 馃ぉ

What does your venue look like? I don't think it would be too much!

I'd also trust the feelings you had in the dress! Tons of dresses look gorgeous online but weren't right on me at all when I tried them on in person!

• Torrie
    Beginner September 2025
    Torrie
    • Flag
    You look stunning and absolutely happy in the pictures you posted of you in it! I found my dress by accident and I balled for the whole day and kept looking at the pictures of it! I think we all have overthought at some point in planning! If you have your dress with you, maybe try it on make sure you still feel beautiful and comfortable in it! You鈥檙e SO will love you in any dress I鈥檓 sure!
  • A
    Just Said Yes June 2022
    Alana
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahh so my venue is all outdoor and our theme is simple and rustic! but you鈥檙e so right, i tried some of the dresses i thought were so beautiful online and they didn鈥檛 feel right on me when i put them on
  • A
    Just Said Yes June 2022
    Alana
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahhh i found my dress by accident too! it was completely different from what i was looking for and then when i put it on and they put the veil on me i felt so overwhelmed with happiness and excitement! 馃槶
  • Torrie
    Beginner September 2025
    Torrie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That鈥檚 awesome! I had a whole day scheduled to go look at dresses and my mom happened to have a day off two months before the scheduled appointments... so she said let鈥檚 go see if you actually know what style you want, literally I tried on like 4-5 dresses and it was the second one I tried on! I put it on a second time and started balling! 馃ズtenor.gif

• CountryBride
    VIP April 2022
    CountryBride
    • Flag

Hi, sweetie, I can understand and relate, First off this dress looks amazing on you, in my personal experience I bought a dress that hugged my curves and made me look like I have an hourglass figure with no effort on my part. I am a plus-size bride who have some banging curves just never show them off. I know my fiance will love this dress but it has no beadwork and no sparkle. it made me ugly cry it is so pretty, but then I started to question is this dress for me? or am I wearing it to please my fiance, and the answer was no I got it to please my fiance even though he told me I should get whatever I wanted, so I decided to get the poofy ball gown for my ceremony and then I will wear my first dress as the reception dress.

• Stacy
    Beginner September 2021
    Stacy
    • Flag

The dress looks amazing on you., but I feel you. I bought 3 dresses, yes three.

The first one I really liked, but bought it knowing it wasn't "the one" because the price was a steal.

The second one, I had dress regret before I even left the store. They let me "return" the dress the next day for store credit.

The third one, amazing. It is perfect and I felt pretty in it. Again, anxiety creeps in knowing the cost was so much more than dress number one, which would have been good enough. Now to try and sell dress number one, and not worry about the splurge. I cant wait to get the dress home so I can try it on again. It will be worth it.

• devotedlydavis
    Expert March 2022
    devotedlydavis
    • Flag

Your dress is BEAUTIFUL! I definitely hear where you are coming from - I have had the same thoughts about my dress. I keep opening the pictures to remind me how beautiful I felt in the dress. Trust your gut and stick with the decision; I agree with those that posted before, stop looking at new dresses. There will always be the "what if I would have tried this one on" thought, but keep in mind that what looks great in pictures/on the hanger could feel completely different in person.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics