We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

T
Beginner March 2021

Wedding dress color

Tabitha, on February 24, 2021 at 2:43 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 21
Saved Save
Is anyone else opting to go with other colors than the normal white, cream, or light colored wedding dress?... Me and my fiance are doing green and black for our clothing but everywhere I look others are doing the more traditional colors. Is it okay to do green and black for your wedding dress?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Ivory, on April 12, 2021 at 1:43 PM
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Of course it is! Go with whatever your style is and whatever you see yourself wearing.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

What most people don't realize is that white as wedding dress color was only introduced in the late 1800s as a sign of wealth because only royalty could afford a dress to worn once in a lifetime. White didn't come into fashion as a trend for brides until the late 1910s. Prior to that, brides wore their best dress which was usually a dark color.

Asian brides and other cultures wear red to symbolize passion. Bold (blue, purple, red, green, etc) colored dresses are very common in Europe and Australia, at least according to dress designers based there or they would not be offered. It always makes me laugh when folks say they're wearing a bold colored wedding dress and it's still a shade of white.

Red is currently a popular color for alternative brides. Take a look at offbeatbride.com. Wear whatever you want and don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

• Angel
    Savvy December 2021
    Angel ·
    • Flag
    Agree with Michelle sexpoodle! You do what you want, it’s your wedding day! I have seen some beautiful red, green, and black gowns worn to weddings by brides. You can even look at normal evening or ball gowns to see if you find something you like. Even though I am wearing ivory, I do find it very over done and its origins kinda meh (Queen Victoria, wealth, etc). I really do hope the wedding industry continues to embrace non-white dresses as other options and start making them.

I would definitely check Pinterest for some ideas. Custom is also always an option too like anomalie or a local seamstress.

Again do what makes you happy.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Cocomelody has black wedding dresses. Most others would have to be custom made or purchased from the evening/prom section at the local bridal salon.

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Any do ess that makes you happy on your wedding day, is fine. So many cultures came to the US, and so many wear their best dress, up until any but the rich began to change to white post WW2. It has taken huge amounts of advertising money to get most brides into diamonds instead of other rings , and white shades more than all else. But whether or not you want to follow the herd is up to you. My grandmother wore a soft doeskin dress with a light yellow dye rubbed in, and a full length lynx coat. Wish I had them.
  • T
    Beginner March 2021
    Tabitha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • T
    Beginner March 2021
    Tabitha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much!
  • T
    Beginner March 2021
    Tabitha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea I created a sketch of the dress and I was definitely thinking of having it made. I definitely going to look into having one made thank you so much!
  • T
    Beginner March 2021
    Tabitha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sound like her dress was beautiful, thank you!
  • T
    Beginner March 2021
    Tabitha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!
  • Melody
    Devoted April 2021
    Melody ·
    • Flag

So I grew up (in the church) being told that brides wear white as a symbol of purity and that if a bride isn't wearing white it's because she "isn't pure" (has had sex). Having that absolute horse-crap message beaten into me from a young age has always made me feel like I HAVE to wear a white dress. I'm still active in the church, play on the worship band, and am a virgin. Personal choice not dictated by my religion, but I won't be having sex until my wedding night. However, I don't like dresses to begin with and am... well, not the most graceful of humans. Me and white are a recipe for disaster! I will likely wear a white dress because that's what I've always envisioned and I'm wearing black and red (our colors) cowboy boots and my bridesmaids are in red/black. Having a black or red dress might be too much and, of course, I want to stand out a bit from my ladies.

All that is to say don't let expectations or tradition or people sway you from what YOU want. If you want to wear green and black, you can absolutely do so and I know you'll rock it! What's popular isn't necessarily what's you, which is so much more important.

• T
    Beginner March 2021
    Tabitha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yea I grew up in the church to and I was tough the same things and I think that is really the main reason I was so torn on whether i should do the white dress or just go with what I want; what i envisioned. I chose black because it's my fiance's favorite color and green because you mainly see green when you step our the house on the trees. growing up I was locked up in the house alot and when I finally got to go outside the first thing I saw was the green grass and trees and that's what I associate with freedom. so I wanted that to be represented in my dress is the freedom from my childhood home to the unity and start of something new with my fiance. Thank you so much I feel much more confident to wear green and black!

• Melody
    Devoted April 2021
    Melody ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Your color choice reasons are absolutely beautiful and I think having that extra personal touch will make those colors so much more special for you. Anyone can choose colors because they like them. Choosing colors that have a story or purpose is memorable and wonderful. I love that you see this new step in your relationship as one that provides freedom and unity! My heart absolutely goes out to you, and thank you so much for sharing your story with us!

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Throughout church history, blue has always symbolized purity. Embrace your own ideas.

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is an excellent idea to embrace what you want and ignore the rest.

• Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    I'm doing dusty pink and cream.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    I didn't wear white! Go for it! I loved black dresses too.
    Wedding dress color 1
    Wedding dress color 2

• Tory
    Devoted May 2022
    Tory ·
    • Flag
    Do whatever makes you happy! I’ve seen so many really pretty variations on wedding dress colors that match the future married couples personalities much better than traditional white
  • Jessica
    Just Said Yes November 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    My dress will be place!
  • Jessica
    Just Said Yes November 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Black*** lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles