Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elysia
Dedicated May 2022

Wedding Cake Ideas—need Other Opinions!

Elysia, on July 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 19
Hi everyone! My fiancé and I still have plenty of time to figure out what we’d like to do for our cake and search for vendors, but we’d like to start coming up with ideas. It’s been a little challenging, because neither of us like buttercream icing or fondant! It’s waaay too sweet for our taste, in fact we’re not big fans of icing in general unless it’s whipped cream icing (there’s a specific kind I make that he loves). Our wedding will be indoors, would something like that stand up okay? Or if not, what are some other ideas? We might be interested in the possibility of a naked cake but I wanted to ask on here and get some other opinions. Thanks in advance!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Mrs.a, on July 24, 2020 at 8:08 AM
  • Yasmine
    Master October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I think that a whipped icing cake would be okay because it probably wouldn't sit out the entire wedding right?

• Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I think whipped cream icing will hold up okay indoors as long as it is cool. I make a whipped cream/ cream cheese icing that tastes like cheese cake that holds up better than normal whipped cream icing and is not super sweet like butter cream. If you use whipped cream icing I would keep the cake in the refrigerator until its time to cut and serve the cake or you can partially freeze the cake.

• Amanda
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    A naked cake would be great and you could also do fruit fillings or jams. A lot of brides are going non traditional with cheesecake, donuts, and pies. Also you could do just a small cutting cake that you two like and a variety of cupcakes that your guest would like.
  • Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t think it would. I’m not sure how that usually works but I’d imagine it probably needs to be refrigerated until it’s almost cake cutting time
  • Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s good to know! The icing that I make is also a whipped cream/cream cheese mix, it’s super tasty. If that’s what we decide to do, I’ll remember that it needs to stay cool. Thanks!
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome!

• Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ve looked at several google image pages of naked cakes, I think they look really nice! We are also doing a brunch wedding, so donuts would tie in so well
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

This! Do a naked cake, I think there is something so beautiful with them and growing to be very popular.

• M
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I think the cream would also hold well but the idea of a naked cake sounds really great
  • Amanda
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    A whipped icing definitely shouldn’t sit out for more then an hour.
  • Jessica
    Devoted July 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I first thought of cream cheese icing (I too don't like fondant or buttercream). You could do something less traditional like: cheesecake, pies, donuts, cookies, brownies, petit fours, macarons, etc.

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Have you considered skipping the cake all together, since it seems like neither of you really love it anyway, and just do a dessert bar instead?

• J
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Stabilized whipped cream frosting works fine and will not melt. If it does, it's not made correctly. Ask your baker if they will use your recipe. Some will, some won't and many bakers are very accommodating if you ask. If the icing is the only thing you're changing, then it makes no sense to me to serve a completely different dessert unless you hate the cake itself.

• KIMBERLY
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    KIMBERLY ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    My new hubby and I aren’t big fans of cake but wanted the tradition and cake cutting photos. We opted for a private baker to make a delicious cake which I had the staff cut into small cake to go boxes that guests took home and we catered in an ice cream vendor. Let me tell you, when I announced there was ice cream, you had never seen people move so fast. And ALL the cake was gone too. Both options were more affordable than you might think. My suggestion is spend the money on what you want!
  • Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Some of my favorite pictures on Pinterest are of naked cakes. I think that would be a great way to keep it simple but still be beautiful
  • Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for the advice! We haven’t actually met with any bakers yet but will soon, so I will keep all of this in mind!
  • Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds awesome! We were thinking about doing donuts or some other kind of pastry since our wedding is earlier in the day.
  • Elysia
    Dedicated May 2022
    Elysia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    We are considering alternatives, although not necessarily a dessert bar. We did want to do the cake cutting, so it’s a possibility we’d just get (or maybe make!) something small for the two of us and then do donuts or something similar for everyone else.
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

I was thinking cream cheese frosting! That will hold up and it’s less sugary.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics