Skip to main content
BreAnna
Beginner September 2019

Wedding Cake..help!

BreAnna, on July 24, 2019 at 4:04 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 15
Saved
I need help! My wedding is in two months and although I have already paid for a 4 tiered wedding cake I have no idea how I want it to look. I am at a complete loss!! My colors are blush and navy. I originally wanted to incorporate the navy into the cake but my baker said that the darker the fondant changes the tase and will turn peoples teeth blue. Is anyone else using a dark colored fondant? Post your wedding cake ideas for inspiration!

This is the cake idea that I had in mind.

Wedding Cake..help! 1

15 Comments

Latest activity by Kat_, on August 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Maybe you can have some decor on it that's navy instead if that's the case in what your baker is saying
  • Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

You don't eat fondant. The caterer should remove the fondant before slicing the cake to serve to your guests.

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Really? I have never heard of that, lol! That makes sense though! Smiley smile I am just using buttercream anyways.

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag

Also, I love that cake! Super pretty!

• Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

Dark colored frosting of any kind can have a different taste. I like PP's idea about decor being navy, or if you're set on a whole tier, pick a smaller one Smiley smile

• Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yep, fondant is just sugar, corn syrup and lard. Really nasty stuff. To achieve the deep dark colors like navy, black, red, and purple you have to use professional grade food dye and a lot of it, they taste like horrible chemicals.

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I have never liked the taste of it which is why I went with buttercream, but I have had cake with fondant on it before and they didn't remove it, so I just had never heard of it! But that makes me a lot more open to fondant cakes now, lol Smiley smile

• Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, my bakery told me I basically didn't have a choice but to have fondant. On my wedding day it could be well over 100 degrees. They are afraid in transport that just buttercream could melt. Smiley cry I was against it because of the taste and she said that my banquet hall knows to take it off before serving so we are going with it.Smiley cake

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Maybe you can do navy accents: flowers, ribbon, etc., instead of navy icing. That way the accents can be removed and it won't affect the taste of the cake. I know these cake images aren't what you are looking for, but they show different types of navy accents that you could use.

Wedding Cake..help! 2 Wedding Cake..help! 3 Wedding Cake..help! 4 Wedding Cake..help! 5

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

We're having white textured buttercream with cake flowers to match our theme.

Wedding Cake..help! 6

• Kelecia
    Savvy January 2020
    Kelecia ·
    • Flag
    My entire cake will be navy. I didn’t ask about the flavor of the cake changing.
  • Virginia
    Super June 2021
    Virginia ·
    • Flag
    Your baker should know fondant is not meant to be eaten. I’m a bit confused by her remark.
  • BreAnna
    Beginner September 2019
    BreAnna ·
    • Flag

You guys have been so helpful! I didn't even think about using navy ribbon but I think that will be perfect!

• KimandLarry
    Dedicated June 2021
    KimandLarry ·
    • Flag

If you're set on having the whole tier be navy, ask your baker if it can be airbrushed. I've done that with fondant before and it really works well. But, as pp's have said, the fondant is nasty tasting and just gets peeled off anyway. My husband is the only person I know who actually likes it lol.

• Kat_
    Super October 2019
    Kat_ ·
    • Flag
    I loved dark cake but would be so afraid of getting it on my gown! I would go with a navy and white marbled layer, a blush layer, a white layer and a blush textured layer on top. You could use some of your florals as a spray in the front to tie it a in ☺️ Maybe even add a navy ribbon to the two blush tiers? Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics