Maria
Dedicated June 2020

Wedding bands: when, where, and is it ok to mix?

Maria, on December 1, 2019 at 11:05 PM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved

Hi everyone! Due to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I was curious to see how much the wedding bands cost and then thought maybe it is too soon to think about them just yet. When did you start looking at wedding bands and where did you get yours from? My engagement ring is 18k rose gold and didn't see many selections for 18k rose gold in the wedding bands. This might be a dumb question, but does anyone know if it is ok to mix 18k and 14k? Thanks in advance!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Maria, on December 2, 2019 at 9:18 PM
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I started looking shortly after our engagement. He took me to the place he designed the ring so of course I looked at option. After multiple visits for adjustments and cleaning we both tried the sets we love. I believe we got it 4 to 5 months before the wedding. Is honestly up to you! About mixing I personally don’t know much about rose or yellow gold so I can’t tell if the color is different depending on the karats so I rather not comment. I think anything works as long as you like it.
  • Jocelyn
    Devoted December 2019
    Jocelyn ·
    • Flag
    Difference in gold percentage
    K stands for karat (not to be confused with carat, which is the weight measure forgemstones) and refers to the percentage ofgold in an alloy. To illustrate: 24K gold is100% pure, 18K contains 75% gold and 25% alloyed metals, and 14K is 58% gold and 42% alloyed metals.
    14 K is a lot stronger than 18 K because gold is a soft metal. I don’t see any issue with purchasing a 14 karat rose gold band for your engagement ring. I Purchased my wedding band a couple months after I got my engagement ring because it was going to be discontinued if I didn’t buy it soon. As for my fiancé I just bought his ring two months ago in 14 K is a lot stronger than 18 K because gold is a soft metal. I don’t see any issue with purchasing a 14 K rose gold band for your engagement ring. I Purchased my wedding band a couple months after I got my engagement ring because it was going to be discontinued if I didn’t buy it soon. As for my fiancé I just bought his ring two months ago in the weddings in 13 days. So if you find something that you love and it’s on sale buy it. in 13 days. So if you find something that you love and it’s on sale buy it.
  • Benya
    Dedicated May 2021
    Benya ·
    • Flag
    Visually you can't really tell the difference between the karats. Don't think too much about it 😉
  • Kelsey
    Devoted October 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    My engagement ring is palladium and I ordered my engagement ring this weekend online and it’s platinum. I think they said one is brighter than the other but not all that visible to the naked eye. I just didn’t want to have to get my wedding band rhodium plated and not my engagement ring. I don’t think 14k vs 18k will be a big deal at all! 18k is actually softer.
  • Michelle
    Expert March 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I ended up buying my wedding ring online on Zales.com. It was originally 229 but I got it for $129.... I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a wedding band since my engagement ring is so beautiful!
  • Maria
    Dedicated June 2020
    Maria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ah very true! I feel the same way with my ring.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics