Anna R
Dedicated August 2020

Wearing my wedding dress... Twice?!

Anna R, on May 10, 2020 at 6:18 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 16
Saved
We have just postponed our August wedding reception (250 guests) to February. We are planning on legally marrying in August no matter what, though! We hope churches in NY will open up to allow for smaller gatherings, and we can have an intimate ceremony. My question is: do I wear my gown once in August, and again during our big reception February? Or should I get a more casual dress for August and save the ball gown for February? My fiancé and family keep telling me how lucky I am to be able to wear my dress twice, but I feel a little weird about it? What do you all think?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on August 3, 2020 at 9:13 AM
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    I say why not? But if you feel weird about it, I wore what was supposed to be my exit dress to out zoom wedding. David's Bridal is always having sales, so you could get a nice dress that will become your exit dress.
  • Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    I would love an excuse to wear my dress again. I loved it so much and it was sad to wear it one day and then put it in a box. But I would also understand if you only want one big reveal and don’t want your guests to see it on social media before the second event.
  • Shannon
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I completely understand. I'm in NY as well. My wedding IS June 6, 2020. We held out for a while. My venue after some push back, finally moved us to June 5th, 2021 when everyone will get together to celebrate our anniversary. Luckily, the venue is still offering us their garden for an extremely smaller ceremony only event. So happy to still be able to get married on our original date.
    I contemplated whether to get a different dress as well. I decided that June 6th is too close to figure out a new dress. So I'm wearing my ball gown.
    A friend then convinced me that although there'll be pictures and people will see my dress via Zoom, that I should still wear my dress next year. She asked me to not rob the so many people that will want to take pictures with me IN my wedding gown.Made sense to me.....so I'm gonna do it!Wearing my wedding dress... Twice?! 1
    Wearing my wedding dress... Twice?! 2

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I would wear it twice aha. Wedding gowns are really just a one day type of gown and so if I had the chances to wear it more than just for one day, I would!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I feel like I’d use this as an excuse to get another dress hahaha but that’s just me :p
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    As expensive as wedding dresses are, definitely wear it a second time if you can
  • Anna R
    Dedicated August 2020
    Anna R ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That was my first instinct! But some women tell me how sad it was when they took off their wedding gown and never wore it again?!
  • Anna R
    Dedicated August 2020
    Anna R ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love this. Such a vibe. You’re right— I can’t deprive anyone of experiencing my dress!!!!
  • Hillary
    Expert October 2021
    Hillary ·
    • Flag
    I did not wear my wedding dress when we got married last month. I couldn’t have anyway since it was in the middle of alterations when the shop closed. But even if I had it, I wouldn’t have worn it. I’m saving it for our big wedding next year.
  • Stefanie
    Dedicated May 2022
    Stefanie ·
    • Flag
    I say why not! If you want to get another or if you want to save some money - wear it twice!
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    I would perfer a more casual dress for Aug and in Feb the big ball gown...however wearing your dress twice is up to u.
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag
    I would be torn quite frankly. On one hand it would be fun to change your look all together but then it would be fun to wear the dress more than once.
  • Nicole
    Super August 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    I’m also getting married in Aug and postponed our wedding to April 2021. I thought about the same thing. I personally didn’t want to wear my wedding dress to our small Aug civil wedding because I still wanted it to be a surprise for when we get married in April. We’re still having professional photos done for our civil wedding so people would obviously see my wedding dress if I wore it. So I found a different dress, not as formal and elegant, but different. I love how I kinda get to have two different weddings and make one a different style from the other.
  • Renay
    Devoted April 2020
    Renay ·
    • Flag

We rescheduled our big wedding from 4/25/20 to 6/27/20 but now have to reschedule again. We still got married on April 25th and I wore my dress. I felt weird about it at first, and got a lot of mixed opinions from friends. Then I asked my FH. He told me I should wear it for a handful of reasons that all made so much sense to me

1. It made me feel beautiful; more than any dress ever had. Every bride should feel beautiful on their wedding, no matter their situation.

2. Most of my family and friends had been showed photos of my dress (because I loved it and have been showing it to everyone but him since September)

3. We don't know how long it will be until we get to have our big day

4. He was really against a first look, but if I wore it for our small wedding, we can do our pictures on the 'big day' before the ceremony and not have to ruin his "end of the aisle" viewing.

Ultimately it is up to you, but for me, it was SO worth it.

• K
    Expert September 2021
    Ka-Rina ·
    • Flag
    I'd get something different for a less formal intimate gathering. I think I'd want the 250 guests to all see it for the first time when you have that reception
  • Rachel
    Beginner July 2021
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

My hubbie and I just had our small ceremony (family only) this past weekend and I debated the same questions endlessly because we have a great "first look" planned for next year's big celebration. That said, I finally decided to wear my dress for many of the reasons stated above - I feel more beautiful in that gown than I've ever felt in a dress, I can actually get my money's worth by wearing it twice, and you only really get one TRUE "first look" with your hubbie before you're married. I wanted him to see me in full radiance, even if it was just a small ceremony. We also had professional photos done (because I love our photographer). My compromise though is that I'm changing some of the accessories for next year - different hairstyle (up vs. down), sparkly jewelry and headpiece, shoes in my favorite color, etc. It is totally worth wearing the dress twice for the full bridal feeling. And even though you'll have pictures, it's a totally different experience for your guests to see it in person at the big celebration.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics