T
Just Said Yes August 2020

Ways to keep wedding budget

Terra, on May 24, 2019 at 2:20 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved
Hi everyone my name is terra I am getting married aug. 15 2020 I have a very small budget as I am a single mom my family refuses to help with the wedding anyone have any tips to help with this

14 Comments

Latest activity by Sinéad, on July 12, 2019 at 9:40 AM
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    The best way to keep the budget down is to have a small guest list!
  • T
    Terra ·
    • Flag
    I have it done to 20 people including bride and groom working with 2000
  • T
    Terra ·
    • Flag
    Down sorry typo
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a good start. I would look into the private room of a restaurant as those usually have the best value for a small guest list.
  • Becca
    Expert July 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag

Small guest list, an afternoon wedding where you don't have to pay for as much food, off season wedding as usually peak season (may-oct) is way more expensive. Also, use your resources! Have a friend with a gorgeous home who is willing to host? Do a beach wedding where it can be cheaper. There are lots of ways out there!

• R
    Devoted October 2019
    Roxana ·
    • Flag

1. Use a free or very cheap venue (somebody's backyard, local garden, park, etc.. If you decide to rent a pricey venue look at off days like Mon-Fri or Sun)

2. Cook your own food ahead of time or think of very unconventional catering (I suggest doing a taco bar, cook out, or looking into the catering section of your local grocery store).

3. Don't blow all your money on a dress you'll only wear once (buy second hand, look for sample sales, or check out stores like Lulus or Asos to get dresses for under $300)

4. DIY your flowers (Get fake ones from Michaels or buy real ones Wholesale. Just make sure you have some friends help you put the arrangements together)

5. Ask for services as a wedding gift (Maybe you're friends with a great photographer, baker, or cook. Ask them for their services for free/discounted as a wedding gift to you)

Hope this helps!

• Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with this. More of a fancy dinner than a traditional reception will probably work best for keeping every on budget Smiley smile
  • Jacque
    Dedicated July 2019
    Jacque ·
    • Flag
    Ik exactly where u are coming from I was a single mom out on disability so our whole budget is around $3000...
    My #1 advice for a bride on a budget is the earlier u plan & book the cheaper it is.. that being said..
    We opted for Vegas because the wedding packages there really offer alot for the money.
    We invited 135 & to date we have 35 attending with only 1 week left to RSVP..
    Flowers seems to be a very big expense so I opted to make DIY decorations using feathers which works with my theme of vintage Vegas @ The Flamingo..
    I designed.. printed our invites & are making the guest hand fans.. made a wedding website & had everyone RSVP on it instead of RSVP cards & extra postage..
    We added to our package & are having a quaint garden party with Champagne & cupcakes & homemade favors.
    We we will have a celebration @ home with food & dancing @a later date for those who could & couldn't make it..& it can be more casual..
    Good luck
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I have a small budget too, 3k and about 100 guests. I would check into local community centers for your venue, the one i'm trying to get is 275 bucks! I can also rent the kitchen for an additional 125 with a licensed caterer. I found one that costs 10 per person. You can bring your own booze which can keep the cost low. Instead of a church you can have the wedding at the same venue, a 2 for 1. You can save on your officiant by having a friend or family member get ordained online to perform the ceremony. David's bridal has many dresses under 200 too

• Saki
    Dedicated October 2019
    Saki ·
    • Flag

We are having friends do a lot of things: DJ, cake, photography. I live in UT where kids get married early 20s and have a small budget as well, they will get married at their Mormon temple or church and just have a backyard dessert reception.

I went to a camping wedding last year that was a ton of fun, and I think that saved a lot of money. The bride and groom rented out a group campsite for guests to stay in for a couple of nights, just had to bring our tents etc, had their wedding nearby where the bride's brother officiated, and the reception was homemade bbq, potato salad, rolls etc. There was a cake but the s'mores bar by the fire was a big hit. The older guests/grandparents stayed in a lodge or went home since almost everyone is local, but the camping option was great for most of us who like being outdoors.

For the dress, I shopped online at Lulu's and BHLDN... and I kept a dress from each one because I loved them both so much. My Lulu's dress was $80 and BHLDN was $260. I also looked online in the classifieds (Craigslist?) if you don't mind a second-hand one, there are some great deals that I saw, just have to be careful with fit and how hard they might be to get altered.

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Skip unnecessary items: favors, programs, intricate centerpieces. With that and shopping sales we saved at least $500.

Ask for referrals- that saved us $300 in chair rentals.

• Lizbeth
    Devoted May 2020
    Lizbeth ·
    • Flag
    We have a $2000 budget. Courthouse and small party enough said lol
  • T
    Terra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah no court house this is my 2nd time getting married first time was in a court house didnt turn out to well lol
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

Hey Terra! How is your wedding planning going?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics