We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jen
Just Said Yes August 2021

Ways to cut cost for food?

Jen, on March 5, 2021 at 9:18 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 18
Saved Save
We were going to do a food truck but it's still a little out of out budget. My co worker suggested a pot luck and have everyone bring something with the recipe card they can sign (double as guest book!) But with having family come from different states, that might be difficult to keep the food fresh or properly temperature maintained.

Does anyone have fun/creative ideas for a super laid back outdoor park wedding?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Shanika, on March 6, 2021 at 9:17 PM
  • A
    Expert September 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    Keep it simple - pizza is cheap and easy for a park. I’d suggest thinking about a non meal time also.
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I like Amanda's suggestion of pizza. Getting restaurant catering like Olive Garden or Chipotle can also be fairly inexpensive. How many guests are you inviting? The easiest way to cut costs on food is cutting the guest list. I would definitely stay away from a pot luck. You don't want to make your guests responsible for part of your hosting duties. Plus, pot lucks bring food safety concerns.
  • Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly ·
    • Flag

I also like the pizza suggestion! It's much easier and safer than a potluck. You could have the basic pizza flavors, but then add a few adventurous flavors to spice things up if you want!

I do like the recipe card idea though for your guest book!!

• Courtney
    Devoted September 2022
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Do not do a potluck. Your guests should never be responsible for helping you host your event, but also. Huge issues with keeping everything at safe temperatures. You also have no idea what state their kitchens are in or how they're handling the food. The only recipe you'll be getting is one for disaster.

Like others have said, you can easily do something like olive garden, BBQ, chipotle, even chick-fil-a for catering. You can buy disposable chaffing kits to keep the food hot.

Easiest way to cut cost it to cut your guest list though. Don't host more people than you can afford no matter how much you want to have all these people involved in your day.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    That’s only the beginning of a very long list of cons when it comes to having a potluck wedding. The best way to decrease your food cost is to cut your guest list. Also consider Mexican, Italian, or BBQ as they are typically the least expensive catering options.
  • Katie
    Rockstar August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn't do a pot luck if people are traveling far. But I would order a pizza or from a cheap but good restaurant that does catering. Some of those chain restaurants can be pretty reasonable for catering.
  • Elizabeth
    Dedicated September 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

My fiancé and I have looked at some cheaper "catering" options such as Chick-fil-a, Chipotle, and the local grocery store catering options. It's also possible to get party trays from Sam's Club or Costco. I agree with you that a potluck probably isn't the most practical. Hope that helps!

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

Grocery store deli sandwich trays are usually very affordable! Definitely do not ask guests to bring food for your wedding.

• Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Holy crap! I didn’t realize Chick-fil-A did catering! That is amazing! Lol I love Chick-fil-A but I haven’t had it in like a year because every time I drive by the line is always so long.
    This is so good to know! I will definitely use this for a baby shower hopefully if I have a baby or something LOL
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    OK, what PP said suggesting the Chick-fil-A catering! As a guest I would be so psyched if I went to a laid-back wedding at a park and they were serving Chick-fil-A!
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

A cake and punch reception! there's a ton of people who skip having a sit down meal altogether and just host dessert and drinks after during a non-meal hour

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    You could also get sandwiches (Subway or grocery store), but maybe with Covid concerns ask that they be cut in 1/2 and each 1/2 individually wrapped to protect against bugs in the park and human germs. For a side, individual chips or encased fruit cups but I’d skip stuff like salad/dressing that can spoil in summer heat!

If a small group, a food truck might work but I’d be concerned other park goers would think it was a truck for all! 😮 🤦‍♀️
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

Potluck would be a hard no for me, for so many reasons.

The easiest way to cut costs would probably be to cut down your guest list, but other ideas (seconding other PPs) would be pizza, inexpensive catering such as Olive Garden or Chipotle, or sandwich platters.

• Connie
    Dedicated December 2021
    Connie ·
    • Flag
    I think a sandwich platter or pizza would be perfect for a park reception. I like light, snacky foods like sandwiches and fruit cups, especially for earlier in the day. I also love Chick Fil A, and if you get meals from them for your guests, they will also get a cookie 😛
  • CountryBride
    Super April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag
    Try bbq or Italian call up restraunts
  • S
    Expert November 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag

Aside from cutting your guest list, the best way to save money on food is to do inexpensive catering like pizza, Mexican, Italian, BBQ, or sandwich platters. Potlucks are a big no-no for weddings.

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

A potluck is is ok for a family reunion but not a wedding because nearly all wedding venues require a licensed caterer for liability issues. If you want to cut costs, and just cake and punch is not an option, contact a favorite local restaurant. Nearly all offer corporate catering services where you get a ton of food at a very low price in comparison with what a wedding caterer will serve and charge (less food, people always say it's inedible, and is 10x more expensive). The quality of the corporate catering is better too.

• Shanika
    Beginner October 2020
    Shanika ·
    • Flag

We are doing Mexican from La Parrilla. It is a local Mexican Restaurant! We managed to get our dinner, cocktail hour, and margarita bar for 60 guest for around 1700 bucks! That is full service as well!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics