A
Devoted August 2019

Vows

Amanda, on August 22, 2019 at 9:46 AM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved Save
Ok so I'm an extremely anxious person and my FH really wanted to write our own vows. It's one of the maybe two things he's asked for. So here we are 9 days away and I'm writing my vows. This is what I have so far. Let me know what you think.

Today as I become your wife I vow to shelter you from your own insecurities and lift you up to the amazing person I see. I vow to pause and take a breath. Remembering that we are two different people, merging together two different lives. I will breath and breath and breath again as I repeat myself for you. I vow to always be truthful with you so that you may know me as well as I know myself. Though I'm sure you will come to know me better. I vow to laugh with you at not only the silly songs we make up for one another but at the mistakes I'm sure we will make over the years. I vow to love not only the person you are today but the man you will become. I will devote myself to you through the pressures of our present and the uncertainties of our future. We will grow side by side together and as I give you my hand to hold, I give you my life and my love to keep.

7 Comments

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·

I really liked your vows! I thought it was very sweet and personal

• A
    Devoted August 2019
    Amanda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I'm just nervous haha
  • Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·

That's totally fine! I think once you start saying your vows to him, you'll feel more comfortable and speak from the heart

• IvyAndKris
    Rockstar October 2019
    IvyAndKris ·

That is beautiful and really special because of the personalization you put into it.

• Lara
    Devoted October 2019
    Lara ·

Those are beautiful. Great job

My only thought is that maybe it would be best to not start off with a negative. "...shelter you from insecurities..." It's a good sentiment, but the wording starts as negative. Maybe cut that and simply say "...I vow to lift you up to the amazing person I see."

Also the next part sounds like things you will remember when you're frustrated and on the verge of a fight. Again, good sentiment, but the wording is a tad negative. Maybe something like you vow to respect him and the journey as you merge two lives together.

Just thoughts - hope it helps.

And here is a WW article with some good things to consider when writing.

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-ideas/15-questions-to-ask-before-writing-your-wedding-vows

• A
    Devoted August 2019
    Amanda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I see your point. My FH and I agreed on 5 things to vow on and the two you are referring to are protect and forgive. I thought they may have sounded a little harsh as well but when I think about it truthfully fighting and insecurities will be a part of our marriage. Idk
  • Katelyn
    Devoted September 2019
    Katelyn ·

These are beautiful!

Comment on this discussion