We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kelly
Devoted April 2021

Vows!

Kelly, on March 12, 2020 at 10:24 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 2 22
Saved Save
Hey ladies, who is writing their own vows?!
How creative / sappy are you being?

22 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on April 18, 2020 at 9:20 AM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I wrote my own and the part where it makes me cry that’s most sappy I unfortunately forgot to say during out of nerves
  • Maggie
    Super April 2020
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    I am writing my own, I don’t think they’re too sappy, but I did have a comic line in there at one point. My vows are kind of me going on about how I can’t think of anything to say to sum up our relationship because it’s great beyond words and such then at one point I say “but we only have this place til 8 and people are hungry so I’ll say this” and then get to the actual vows part
  • L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

I’m crazy about my man but honestly I have no idea what to say. They ones I’ve seen are cliche. Help!

• Monica
    Super October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    Omgosh vows are on my to do list for next week but im trying to get as much done as possible. So im trying to get some ideas on how to start. Im nervous to start writing. How long does this portion of the ceremony usually last. How much do we write
  • Kimberly
    Super March 2021
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I have talked about it. He is a musician and chef so creativity is in his blood. Me? Not so much. I made him write “our story” for our website. We decided that “we” will write our vows together saying the same thing. And of course by “we” I really just mean him.
    A couple of officiants that we’ve contacted have pointed out that vows should be vows and not love letters to each other. It’s cool to do the love letters, but if that’s what you are writing you will need to also include actual vows of some sort (traditional, no -traditional, whatever). Made sense to us which is why we will say the same vows.
  • Kelly
    Devoted April 2021
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahahahaha thats funny!
  • Kelly
    Devoted April 2021
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahahaha I know!!! I thought about taking maybe a short phrase of lyrics from one if our favorite sappy love songs but idk if i will actually write anything original lol
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We wrote our own, and managed to get by with only choking up.

We also had traditional vows, so we got fairly creative, but kept them short. They became very personal, and about *our* things. (For instance, I mentioned 2 dates that referenced sports championships, because those made us deliriously happy.)

Start now - it's a lot harder than you think - and get someone to proof/edit for you.

• Shamaree
    Dedicated February 2020
    Shamaree ·
    • Flag
    We wrote our own vows. Mine started with a little about our story and what I appreciate about him and then I shared my specific vows to him. They weren’t super sappy but I cried anyway.

Our vows had similar points even though we never talked about them prior so that made me more emotional as well. We both wrote them in only a couple of days.
  • Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

I need to start mine (wedding is in July so I still have plenty of time). I'm not a sappy person so I will probably lean towards mixing in some funny ones, along with the serious ones. We're trying to keep our ceremony short (20-30 min max), so our vows are no more than 2 minutes each.

I'm having a little performance anxiety about writing mine though. FH is a REALLY GOOD writer and poet. I'm frankly terrible at verbally expressing emotions in general. I'm 99% sure that I will be bawling when we each do our vows. Slightly stressed about this probability.

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    We’re writing our own! My fiancé had very few requests for the wedding but that was one of them. I think it’s the sweetest idea. I’m having a hard time boiling our whole relationship and the lifetime be found into two minutes. I don’t want to go on ad nauseum but I absolutely could. Mine will definitely be plenty sappy and heartfelt. I’m worried his will be one big joke. He’s very funny, but I want the ceremony to be relatively serious.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    I wrote my own, they were very sappy (but specific and not cliché) and I was so overwhelmed during the ceremony that I needed to take a minute mid-vow

It was very meaningful though.
  • Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I am! I'm not extremely creative, and don't want to go too sappy or I will just be ugly crying the entire time LOL. But I want the ceremony to be serious, emotional and filled with love! We're getting married a month after our 8 year anniversary, so I definitely have a lot of talking points, but want to keep it fairly short & sweet.

• Alyrae
    Super February 2020
    Alyrae ·
    • Flag
    We wrote our own vows .... mine talked about my depression and stuff before i met my husband and how he changed my life and after i met him i wanted to go get help
  • Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    We're writing ours together. They're not too sappy, but I'm anxious about being in front of a lot of people so we're probably going to have the officiant say them and we'll repeat after him.
  • Monica
    Super October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    I think i just finished writing my vows. I will probably end up changing a few things but i think overall I like it. Need to double check that im not missing anything I was supposed to include.
  • OldSchoolKindaLove
    Devoted September 2018
    OldSchoolKindaLove ·
    • Flag

I wrote my vows the day before my wedding sitting in my friends car. This wasn't planned, I had a lot of ideas written down that I had thought of over the course of many weeks/months, but of course the weeks leading up to the wedding I took them to work just in case I thought of something else I wanted to incorporate. However, on my last working day before the wedding, I left work without my vow ideas notebook.

In the end, everything worked out fine. The venue owner was able to print them off for me to read over the night before. I find that the best vows tend to be short, sweet, and sentimental. I was extremely worried that my husband's vows would be way longer or shorter than mine, but turned out they were about the same length.

• Tatjana
    Savvy October 2020
    Tatjana ·
    • Flag

I'm writing my own

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    I realize this doesn't answer your question at all, but one, possibly useful, thing we're doing is we made a word document for our vows. It's saved in the Google drive associated with our wedding email address so we can both access it from our phones and we can each add things to it whenever we think of them.
  • Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

So, I finally got around to my first draft at vows - a little funny, a little serious. Still may add or change pieces. Short and sweet since we're aiming for a short ceremony. I took some inspiration from a LOT of different google searches of wedding vows, then took bits and pieces of various writings I found and made them my own.

I, Katt, choose you, Alex, to be my husband, my friend and lover, my companion in *adventure, and my instigator of **"Sheehanigans".

I promise to love you faithfully and to cherish you through every obstacle that may come.

I promise to let you "win" our silly arguments - once in a while - and to always be looking for our next adventure to share.

I vow to tell you "I love you" at least once every day, and to seal it with a kiss.

I vow to share memes with you and to look for puns or wordplay to make you laugh.

I promise to lend you my strength and support as you reach for your dreams.

I can't promise not to bring home any more cats, but I do vow to give you my love, my trust, my heart and my soul for as long as we both shall live.

*we talk about our adventures together a lot, and one of our favors for guests includes a tag that says "the adventure begins"

**this is a play on words with his last name since we both love word play and puns

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics