Stephanie
Dedicated October 2020

Videographer Advice!!

Stephanie, on January 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved

Okay ladies I need your help!! I am doing it and getting a videographer after debating it for a while! I found one I’m pretty sure!! I am in love with his work it is wonderful! But what kind of questions should I ask to make sure he is a good fit? He is local which is nice! And not to expensive compared to other one. He is a good middle price to what I’m seeing! But what questions and or concerns should I address in our first meeting before I sign a contract? Thanks ❤

13 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on January 11, 2020 at 12:56 AM
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I would make sure he gives you an idea of how long it should take for him to get the video back to you. Ours refused to put it in the contract because he said it varies so much and we didn't don't have it and we've been married almost 6 months.
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Yeah the reviews for the guy we want says he gets a sneak peek within a week! And we don’t do final payment till he gives us the finished work! They also commented how fast he returned the work!! So hopefully that’s a good sign!!
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    And 6 months for a video?!!! That’s crazy!! I’m so sorry they are doing that to you!
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds like a good sign, but I would make sure his contract indicates this information.
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you I will write that on my page of notes!!
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think he overbooks himself and it is just him and his wife. He had great reviews so I am surprised it has taken this long. We were originally supposed to get it a few days before Christmas then at the beginning of January and now supposedly at the beginning of February. We shall see. Hopefully yours come faster.
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You're welcome 😊
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I would make sure that his style of video fits your vision (or that he’s ok with modifying his style to fit what you want).

For example, I’m a bit weird in that I’m really not a huge fan of super artsy, background music-oriented wedding videos. I mean, they look really nice and all lol but that’s just not what I wanted for MY wedding video.

What I was envisioning in our wedding video was basically just a recording of the day as it happened. Like, “home movie” style... raw footage just edited together, to show the day as it was (no fancy transitions or cutting around and bouncing back and forth to different parts of the day, no overlay to a shot of me getting ready while my husband is reading his vows, etc). I know I’m pretty weird in wanting that lol, but still I should be allowed to have it the way I want it!

Our videographer was FANTASTIC but what I didn’t realize is that the editing was outsourced to another company, and (so I didn’t get to discuss the style I preferred... also I booked super last minute so I really hadn’t thought about it much) they edited it objectively very “well” but I was honestly so upset with it because I felt like it felt like a wedding video promotion, rather than my actual wedding video. Granted, a VERY well done one lol, but that just isn’t how I wanted it to feel.

Luckily I have a background in film and was able to ask for the raw footage and spent around 10-12 hours (literally) editing it myself so it was exactly how I wanted it 😂 but if I didn’t have that skill I would’ve been so upset with how it all turned out.

LONG STORY SHORT if you have a preference for something like this, just make sure they understand stylistically what you’re envisioning!
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the advise!! Luckily the guy i want does his own editing and I’ve seen the videos he does and it’s what I wanted!! But I will double check to make sure! I’ve seen so many of his videos which is what changed my mind in wanting a videographer lol so I guess I do t want a videographer I want him at my wedding working his magic!! Lol
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol perfect!
  • Alejandra
    Super March 2019
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Get clear time lines and ask to see his work from previous weddings. My videographer took 6 months to get us an edit, and 8 months to get our final highlight video. I have no idea what he did what the raw footage either. At a certain point he began complaining about the deals he has made with people and how he agreed to give certain people payment plans but they don't pay him so he's trying to not end up in the streets or get his car repossessed. This irked me beyond belief because when we met with him about 8 months before our wedding and discussed pricing he started off way too high. He does music videos for famous rappers and was found through my husband who produces music. We told him that we had worked hard to find the best price of everything and although we wanted a video it was not necessary. We told him we would not need drones or anything crazy. He finally proposed an amazing price to which my husband and I could not say no. When we asked him how payment would work he said that the he would help us out by allowing us to make monthly payments until the wedding and whatever was left to pay the day of. We went ahead and agreed and let it be. He did the wedding, had a great time and filmed a ton. 2 months passed and I noticed how he was in Dubai filming a rap video, Mexico filming a baptism, Vegas another music video, Puerto Rico for a wedding and so many more places. He was always gone somewhere, at some point I sent him a message when I knew he was home in LA and asked him when we would be able to see some of the video to which he replied that he had been so busy working that he had not gotten to the editing yet but would do it as soon as possible. Time kept passing and I again sent him a message to which his response was I wish I could add more to it, its going to be amazing and then radio silence. At a certain point I told my husband to figure out that situation with this guy and let me know if we needed to move forward legally. He then began posting stuff on his social media saying how he tried to help people by allowing them to pay monthly for his services but he was the one suffering because people made him wait for money that was rightfully his. It was crazy, I felt personally attacked too because he told us to make payments and then went on a social media rampage damning everyone who ever paid him monthly. I sent him one final message outlining our agreement and my next actions if we did not just hurry up and get our footage I didn't even care for a highlight video or anything. He sent my husband a final video two days later! Sorry if this went off topic a bit or something but maybe you could pick out a few pieces of advice about what to look out for.

On a side-note my highlight video is amazing, but thats all I got no unedited raw footage of the rest of the wedding or anything else.

• Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is such a shame and I am sooo sorry for what you had to go through. Luckily the guy i am trying to go for all of his reviews on wedding wire say how they got a sneak peak withing 3 days to 5 days of their wedding.. he also doesn't have us pay the final third of the bill till he gets us the videos which I thought was really nice of him! I love the work he does he sent me his three recent ones and I just found a bunch more on his youtube page and on his website! I am soo sorry that happened to you though!! I still hope that your wedding was beautiful and amazing Smiley heart and I am glad you were able to get your video even though it took forever for you to get it! The one thing I have been pulling form comments here is to see if I can also get the raw footage!! So that I will be asking when I speak to him on Monday!

• Taylor
    Savvy September 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    I asked
    - how they’d describe their style
    - how is the final product delivered- when can you expect the final video- do you get the raw footage- how they record talking/speeches (I didn’t want chunky mic stands in our ceremony photo + now i need to ask our venue about their sound system)- what’s the deposit & when are payments due- what input do you have (we can tell them to change the song if we don’t like it, cut out certain people in the video, add certain people if they have the footage, etc.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics