Kaleen
Beginner August 2019

Venue pricing?

Kaleen, on October 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 22
Saved

We are getting married in November of next year which is considered "off season" and they say its not as expensive to get married around that time.. But every venue we have looked at seems outrageously priced to me? What was the average everyone spent on their venues? I live in a "vacation area" and i'm not sure if that is contributing to the astronomical numbers or if i am just being over dramatic and what they are asking is normal.

Thanks in advance!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Kaleen, on December 5, 2018 at 7:27 AM
  • H
    Expert July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    Ours was $500 for the room and $10,000 food and beverage minimum. But we also saw one that was 10k for the room and another 10k for the food and beverage minimum. So it can very a lot.
  • Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

Hi there Kaleen!!! Welcome to the WeddingWire community!! Smiley ring

Nationwide, couples spend on average about $5,400 on their ceremony and reception venue. You can look up your area's average with the venue cost guide, but I would think that some vacation areas would be a bit more expensive because they have sort of a year-round demand. I'm thinking mostly of Florida right now, because I know I almost always want to be somewhere where it's warm and sunny. Are you sure that November is a part of the off season for the venues you're looking at?

You could also look at local community halls or fire halls. They tend to be on the more inexpensive end of the spectrum, as well as national and state parks. Smiley smile

• Nemo
    Master August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

It definitely varies. You can expect to pay a couple thousand dollars. Ours was included with the all-inclusive price as long as we met the food and beverage minimum.

• Nisa
    Super March 2019
    Nisa ·
    • Flag

I think it depends a lot on area and type of venue. I'm sure the vacation area you're in is contributing to the cost somewhat, but some venues will be cheaper than others. When I was looking I found that a lot of venues were reasonably priced, but they had huge food and beverage minimums. We decided to go with a nice county park that has a huge lodge. It is $800 for a Saturday (same price throughout the year), no food and beverage minimum because you do everything yourself (and by that I mean get all the vendors, chairs and tables, kitchen equipment and stuff like that is included)

• Kaleen
    Beginner August 2019
    Kaleen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Was it easy to hit the food and beverage minimum? or did you have to stretch to reach it?

• Kaleen
    Beginner August 2019
    Kaleen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

$10,000 seems like a lot to me. am i crazy or is it easy to hit that number?

• Nemo
    Master August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

No stretching at all! We paid $90 per person, which seems like a lot but it included passed appetizers, an open bar, the venue, upgraded chairs, upgrade carving station, all tables, set up of the venue and tear down, all linens, wait staff, and bartenders. I felt it was cheaper to go the all inclusive route even though the per person price shocked us at first. We also had access to their decor closet for free, and used a welcome sign, some lanterns for outside, and an easel for our seating chart. We spent a little over $10,000 on our reception.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Depends on where you live and what kind of food you are serving/the formality of your wedding. We had a formal wedding with a multi course plated meal so it was $134 per person for food and $55 per person for alcohol. So we spent over $30k on food/alcohol alone not including venue cost, rentals, photographer, etc.
  • H
    Expert July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well we are expecting about 250 people and it's about 50 per person ( after, apps and dinner, taxes and fees) plus all drinks (alcoholic and non) get added whether we pay for them or do a cash bar. We could also do late night food and cake through them if we want so we will hit that easily. But it depends on how many people you are having and the cost per person.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Our venue is $11,000 during peak season, discounted to $9,900 for their military discount for us. Off season is $9,000. It includes chairs, tables, bridal & groom's suite, 12 hours of venue use and we are the only event that day.

• SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB ·
    • Flag

Our venue is $8,000 from 8AM-Midnight. Outrageous in my opinion, but I loved the venue and had to have it. Our venue only includes tables and chairs, but if you're looking for cheaper, vfind a venue that supplies majority of what you need. Might seem expensive when signing papers, but will cut costs in the long run.

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

We just celebrated our wedding this past Friday. We had 170 guests and our ALL IN grand total for our reception venue was just over $10,000 plus the initial $1,500 deposit. It included a five course dinner, venue space, basic decorations, open bar, coat check, cocktail hour and staff. We had to guarantee 100 guests to lock in the space. Where you are located WILL DEFINITELY play a role in your pricing! Not sure what your venue of choice includes and what you would have to provide yourself, but $10,000 is a fairly average number, especially for a larger party in a more popular area. (We celebrated in the suburbs of Chicago, just for reference)

• Rebecca
    Dedicated December 2018
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    We have an all inclusive venue with an estimate of 160 guest our total with food included is 6,400 but we did get a military discount. To rent the space which is reception and ceremony hall was only 500 for both and we're getting married in December. A lot of other places I researched before were close to 4,000- 7,000 just to rent the space which was a no way for me so I'm really happy I heard of the venue we decided to go with. Where you are definitely is a big factor price wise
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

"Off-season discounts" are going to vary by location, season, and venue -- if they exist at all. We live in So Cal and the venue is a country club. They offer a discount in January (which is when Daughter & FSIL wanted to get married anyway). For them, October thru New Year's Eve are crazy busy -- they won't even consider booking a wedding between mid-November and the end of the year because they have too many member events. However, come January, they are pretty dead. As a result, we got a $5000 discount (on a semi-inclusive package) on a Saturday night, with a lower guest minimum than during other months. We're expecting about 100 guests, and a with highly upgraded inclusive food & beverage package, the venue is going to be about $18,000.

• A
    Super February 2019
    Amy ·
    • Flag

I scoured for a good deal, even in the off season. My venue is a lovely country club and the ceremony fee on the lawn is 500 and the venue was 1,500 for a Saturday. It includes tables, chairs, linens/tableware. However, I got half off the 1,500 by going to a bridal show. I put my email address everywhere and it paid off!

I'm in a vacation area too. Though I will say I only found maybe 1-2 other venues even in this price range and it took so much time. There were some tradeoffs, it's on a golf course so no mountain or ocean type views, I had to use their caterer, etc. But I'm happy with it for sure!

• futuremrsdeleon
    Dedicated November 2018
    futuremrsdeleon ·
    • Flag

Here in sunny CA, we are spending $25K for everything! That is pretty reasonable knowing the high cost of living here! Goo Luck! I am getting married 11-10-18Smiley smile

• bethf
    Devoted August 2019
    bethf ·
    • Flag

Depending on where you live you can get creative! I was considering getting married at a castle. We live in RI and the venue with food will cost about 5-6k (In season). It is out there you just have to look between the cracks Smiley smile good luck

• C
    July 2019
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi do you mind saying where your wedding will be? Colleen
  • futuremrsdeleon
    Dedicated November 2018
    futuremrsdeleon ·
    • Flag
    Eagle Ridge Gilroy
  • Kaleen
    Beginner August 2019
    Kaleen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We live in the Hilton Head Island area. we have not chosen a venue yet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics