Megan/Justin
Just Said Yes October 2020

Venue ideas

Megan/Justin, on May 31, 2019 at 2:34 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 11
Saved Save
My fiancé and I are trying to keep our wedding as low cost as we can. Does anyone have ideas on how to find a venue for cheap or even free venue ideas?

11 Comments

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

Free venue ideas: friends/families with backyards

Creative ideas: planteriums, art galleries, libraries, smaller museums, breweries, etc.... several of these places may do 'event rentals' but aren't considered a 'wedding venue.' Usually that means no preferred or required caterer, more built-in decor and lower costs.

Just be careful, you have to do more legwork of your side instead so you have to watch your wallet more closely around rentals.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I have been seeing people use airbnbs because some have nice yards. however, that's only really for a small wedding.

if you have a larger wedding then maybe consider community centers [or something by the city that can be tax deductible]. i was fortunate enough to be a part of a church that had a very very low fee.

also, ask around to see if your family and friends have any connections or hookups to anywhere!

• Lauren
    Super September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Parks are usually low cost, you may need a permit. Not always clean (bathrooms) and your ceremony/reception won't be private. (You'll have looky-loos in your photos)

But like Nikita said with the addition of rentals (chairs, tables, linens, etc) the price can jump dramatically. Think $5/chair, $20/table, $10-65/tablecloth.

Check with your local community centers, they may have a rental fee but it might include tables and chairs.

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I would check local community centers. We're going with the one we actually met at back in 1985!! it's a sentimental choice yes, but also a VERY AFFORDABLE one! It's $275. We are able to bring our own food and drinks in, tables and chairs are provided. It's also connected to a park for some beautiful fall pictures. I would definitely check into that

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Look into state or local parks. Not sure what it's like where you are, but here in MD many will give discounts to residents if they're in the same town/county, etc.

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

If you attend church, they might let you use the facilities for a very low cost!

• Hermione
    Devoted February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    Google was my friend and I found a free chapel. Also look into parks and elopement sites that usually have venue ideas.

Keep your guest list microsopic... Like 10 friends and family each.... Micro weddings are best on a tiny budget because cake, chairs, tables, space needed and food are what drive up the cost. Beyond 20-30 people it starts to cost more like $400 a person in my area.

Also consider renting someone else's house on hometogo or VRBO. You can find a space that has a table for 20 and has a beautiful backyard or fireplace and have the ceremony there. Just make sure you say you are having a wedding there.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    State and county parks and rec. Lots of beautiful buildings which usually include tables and chairs and you can bring your own alcohol or apply for a permit to do so. They don't (or at least my area doesn't) charge a ceremony site fee and there are no taxes or service fees.
    Yes you'll have to do a lot more decorations and hire catering but there is freedom in that too. A lot of times it's cheaper to buy tablecloths rather than rent them. Like 5-12 dollars per table less or see what rentals can be provided through your caterer.
  • Cayla
    Dedicated August 2020
    Cayla ·
    • Flag
    Local parks!
  • Jeanelle
    Super September 2018
    Jeanelle ·
    • Flag
    Not sure about your area but restaurants are a good place to marry, includes food, drink, staff, chairs and tables, drinkware and servingware, some decor.
    I'm biased cause we got married at a restaurant and even though our spot wasn't particularly cheap, it accounted for things that are a headache to deal with. We just showed up with florals, photographer, dj, and little decor.
    BBQs are very budget, also food trucks depending on your area.
  • Ruby
    Dedicated October 2019
    Ruby ·
    • Flag

I definitely recommend a state park! The one I selected had multiple options for every budget with the cheapest being less than $500. I chose the most expensive option which was still only $2100 - comes with tables, chairs, indoor & outdoor areas, & even a tent!!!

Comment on this discussion