We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Brae
VIP September 2019

Vendor meals

Brae, on June 6, 2018 at 12:18 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 32
Saved Save
Hi, so I will be asking about vendor meals for my photographer, so, etc. But does that transfer to caterer as well? I feel like that's weird to ask, but they have to eat too right?

32 Comments

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    Dj* Not so
  • S
    Super May 2020
    Shari ·
    • Flag

Yes; you have to feed your vendors. They cannot leave your reception. Most caterers offer vendor meals at a cheaper rate than the guest meals. It'll be something they can eat a little quicker. For us, we either choose them to eat from the same menu as our guests, or we get them each a vendor meal.

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, I understand that for all other vendors, I'm just asking do I ask the caterer to provide vendor meals for the caterer? Lol
  • S
    Super May 2020
    Shari ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Caterer? I'm sorry; I must have missed that. I wouldn't think you'd need to do that unless, for some reason, it was written in your contract.

• AQuixoticBride
    VIP July 2018
    AQuixoticBride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You can double check with the caterer which people working your wedding you should count in the vendor meals. When I asked my caterer about this, they told me that they covered their own staff (servers and bartender) and the venue staff. Other vendors are included in my count.

• NikNak
    Master September 2018
    NikNak ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your catering staff will more than likely have a staff meal prior to your cocktail hour. That is how we do it at my banquet hall. You can ask to be kind, but they will probably tell you that they're all set.
  • D
    Expert December 2018
    Debbie ·
    • Flag
    I wondered the same thing
  • M
    Dedicated June 2018
    Maryam ·
    • Flag
    Yes feed your vendors. You need to let your catering know what type of meals your vendor requested.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • lilchameleon
    Expert April 2019
    lilchameleon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Vendor meals are awful. I always feel so wastefull bc I just always throw them away. Almost always a mayo (mayo makes me dry heave) covered deli sandwich that was made the day before. After being on my feet for 8 hours and carrying around 25lbs of camera gear on my back the whole time when I see one of those plastic box meals coming I just want to cry sometimes. I know it sounds dramatic, but I don't think people think about it and caterers don't actually tell you what a vendor meal means.

• Lindsey
    VIP June 2018
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I wouldn't assume all vendors are like that though, I would hope my photographer would be able to sit for a moment and eat, my venue provides a table for them as well. I would assume the photographer would eat while the guests would, as taking pictures as people shove their face with food isn't really what I am hoping to see when we get our photos back. The meals are either chix,beef or pasta (same as guest meals)

the Dj, photographer and photobooth are really the only vendor meals we need, as the venue has extra staff to "give breaks" during the night

• lilchameleon
    Expert April 2019
    lilchameleon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was talking about when caterers have special “quicker” vendor meals that are way different than the
    guest meals. Vendor meals are code for bad cold sandwich. People should
    feed vendors real food.
  • J
    Savvy September 2021
    Jenny ·
    • Flag
    Hi Brianna!! I work at a wedding venue which also caters for their events... the way we do it is we either take a break before your event starts to go and eat, or we eat the leftover food from your event. So as long as you feed you vendors, you don’t have to worry about the caterers!
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think this depends on the venue and the couple. My ex is a DJ and we used to work weddings together. Most vendor meals we got were the same meal as the guest's meal. There were a few places that served something different like a burger or sandwich. This was my 2nd wedding and for both weddings the venue gave us a choice of whether we wanted to serve the vendor a cold or hot meal with a different price based on the selection. I chose hot both times because I cared that my vendors ate a good, satisfying meal even if it was the more expensive option. Some couples may choose the cheap option to try and save money but this is short-sighted since a happy, well-fed vendor will ultimately benefit the couple.
  • Lindsey
    VIP June 2018
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I didn't know that "quicker vendor meals" was a thing, that's terrible. I wouldn't have taken that option, especially since we are paying for a vendor meal. I think it was only $20 to have our vendors' meals: they did not ask us to choose any other meal, they said they would ask them what they wanted based on our dinner choices we had for the rest of the guests. Most the vendors I chose work for or with the venue on a regular basis , so I am sure they wouldn't want to give a bad meal when they know the vendors personally. I would be terrified to know that I gave my vendor a cold cut sandwich.

• C
    Devoted November 2023
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The leftover food should go to the couple who paid for it, not to feed others.
  • Lindsey
    VIP June 2018
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wait what- you are planning to "pack up" all your left over food the day of your wedding? that's the last thing on my mind.

vendors, caterers, guests- take it home with you! I don't want it stuffing up my fridge.

• J
    Savvy September 2021
    Jenny ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    When I say leftover food that means the bottoms of the pans on buffets, or the leftover scoops of mashed potatoes for plated meals. Stuff that will be thrown in the trash if the caterers do not eat it. The couple is paying for only the people at the wedding, however caterers know to make just a tad bit extra in case something goes wrong.
  • The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol your going to eat four scoops of mashed potatoes two days later but have others go hungry? Oh the irony that’s really not nice after ‘the help’ busted their butts for your event.

Most venues don’t do doggy bags for liability reasons.
  • Steph N.
    Super October 2018
    Steph N. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I specifically asked what our vendor meals are because if they were awful sandwiches, I’m not serving those to our vendors! They are burgers and fries or the adult chicken tender platter off the regular menu. I’ve eaten off our venues regular menu before, and the food is good. However, one of our vendors has in their contact that they don’t do vendor meals, it must be the same dinner as everyone else. Since the photographer is then our only other vendor, we’re just serving him a regular meal too. The bar cost is omitted, so it’s only like $40 a plate then.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles