Catleezz
Beginner October 2020

Unity Sand, knots, and the likes

Catleezz, on October 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 22
Saved Save
Hello!

I was wondering if any of you were doing some of thing like this? If not why? Because I don't want to persay. All the ones I have seen seem a little tacky. No offense to anyone else! But the ones in person I have seen have been.

If you are doing one. Tell me what you plan on doing? Any ideas besides the ring exchange is welcomed.

22 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    We’re not doing a unity ceremony. In my opinion, vowing to spend the rest of my life someone is uniting enough.
  • Cel
    Savvy October 2019
    Cel ·
    • Flag
    We the sand ceremony. My uncle read a poem. It was really sweet.
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t do one. I had been told that the ring exchange is basically a unity ceremony. And our ceremony was 25 minutes as it was. It didn’t need to be longer!
    My friend did a tree planting, i think they took soil from one place significant to her and some from place significant to him and they poured it into a pot with a tree sapling. The officiant read something about what they were doing and the significance. It was really sweet.
  • Sarah
    Devoted April 2022
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    My family is Dutch (grandparents immigrated) and my FW’s family is Filipino (immigrated when she was 3-4), so we want to incorporate traditions from both cultures.

The Dutch tend to do wedding boxes, where the couple place letters to each other and a bottle of wine into a box that’s sealed as part of the ceremony and meant to be opened if the relationship is ever struggling, so you can have a drink together and remember how you felt about each other on your wedding day.

Filipino weddings often include a veil ceremony, where one or two people close to the couple place a veil over the head of the bride and shoulder of the groom (we’ll probably both do head since we’re both women) while the couple kneels to symbolize unity and protection.

These are important to us because we aren’t just marrying each other—were marrying each others’ families, histories, and cultures as well, so we want to honor and reflect that in our ceremony.
  • Amber
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I don't know if this really counts, but we're doing handfasting. It's a Celtic tradition and my fiance is Scottish. In case you haven't heard of it, you just tie your hands together a d say a few words. It can be nonreligious or religious
  • Marné
    Savvy February 2020
    Marné ·
    • Flag
    We're going to jump the broom! So excited to include this in our ceremony.
  • Future Mrs. Danger
    Expert November 2019
    Future Mrs. Danger ·
    • Flag
    I am German and we are incorporating a German tradition. We are sawing a birch wood log in half. It will be at the end of the ceremony after we have been pronounced husband and wife. It symbolizes mastering our first task together as a married couple.
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a knot tying (wrap fabric around our arms as we say our vows) or whatever ceremony. Just a little something unique and extra
  • Catleezz
    Beginner October 2020
    Catleezz ·
    • Flag
    Wow! All of these are so interesting and wonderful
  • Yoice
    Rockstar March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I wanted a unity and we did sort of our own version of handfasting. I didn’t buy the typical knot just a silk ribbon to tie our hands. Our pastor read a beautiful poem call “with this hands.”

Unity Sand, knots, and the likes 1
  • Kiara
    Super August 2020
    Kiara ·
    • Flag

We are pouring the sand and the kids are gonna take place in our unity by joining us with that & jumping the broom..

• S
    Beginner October 2019
    Savannah ·
    • Flag
    We are doing the unity in glass ceremony! We chose our wedding colors and it will be turned into an ornament so we can see it every Christmas! But there are other options you can choose as well
  • Camilla
    Dedicated June 2021
    Camilla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I have seen the kids pour in the sand along with the couple but together they had several kids (9) they both had been married a few times each before finding each other again after being high school sweethearts.

• Camilla
    Dedicated June 2021
    Camilla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is a cool idea. I like that you can see it at a special time of year.

• Camilla
    Dedicated June 2021
    Camilla ·
    • Flag

Personally I havent found a unity ceremony that I am in love with. But there are some really good ideas on here

• Toni
    Expert November 2019
    Toni ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a sand ceremony with FH’s kids
  • D.k.
    Savvy April 2020
    D.k. ·
    • Flag
    One of our groomsmen is making a unity cross for us. The outer cross represents the husband and the inner cross represents the wife. The three nails that hold it together represent the Holy Trinity.

Photo from a pinterest pin.

I love the Dutch tradition of the box with wine and letters but neither of us are Dutch.

Unity Sand, knots, and the likes 2
  • A
    Devoted May 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

We are doing a unity candle because we really like the symbolism of two families becoming one. We are having our younger brothers light the family candles for us.

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I think these things are silly too, we didn't do one. Declaring my love and vows in front of 175 people and my FI was pretty "unifying" to me.

• Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

My cousin did a wine blending! which i thought was super awesome and i wanted to steal. but then on the other hand i kind of wanted something the kids could be involved in. so i might stick to traditional (somewhat boring to me) sand ceremony.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics