Skip to main content
Michael
Devoted October 2023

Train or no train?

Michael, on May 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 34

I think a sweep or chapel train would work best. Did anyone select a dress based on the specific train? Did the train work out okay in the ceremony?

I think a sweep or chapel train would work best.

Did anyone select a dress based on the specific train? Did the train work out okay in the ceremony?

34 Comments

• J
    Just Said Yes May 2023
    Jessenia ·
    • Flag

No train for me. I didn't want to wear a dress that would be dragging on the floor while I walk down the aisle. I ended up buying a bridesmaids dress. Not only was it incredibly cheaper but I was able to choose a different color (other than white or ivory) and I won't have to pay additional to have a train removed/altered.

• Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It does seem unusual to have that train drag on the floor. You almost have to make sure the floors are very clean. I think the ceremony/formal aspect of the train still is worth the unusual aspects.

• Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag

I saw this discussion on tulle gowns. It turns out those are hard or impossible to bustle. People shared that on this thread: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/to-bustle-or-not-to-bustle/d6f5c081feaca3e0.html

So that's another issue when selecting a dress.

• Joanna
    Joanna ·
    • Flag
    I had a cathedral train and loved it. Yes, it did drag on the floor (that's the point!) But who cares if the underside gets dirty. It's not like you're going to wear the dress on a regular basis.

It didn't need bustling for the reception. I think the practical/ tripping issues are very vastly overstated and in practice there's really no need. I had a loop which was very useful for the outdoor pictures and moving in the grounds. Your wedding is the only day you get to wear a train so just enjoy it Smiley smile
  • Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Joanna,

that's one point i was making earlier, it is the only day you get to wear a gown like that and to wear that gown. I forget who it was who said that they sell people on getting the bustle. But you have expressed it is fine without that option. Thanks for those great points. I'll remember that.

• Joanna
    Joanna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Smiley smile I feel there's a bit of a trend towards "the simpler the better" which is great if that's what someone genuinely wants but brides are made to feel uncool / untrendy for wanting princess / elaborate dresses with trains and getting talked out of it.

That's such a shame! Brides who've always wanted a beautiful big dress should get one, and bustles aren't generally necessary. Some people like the look which is great for them, but presenting it as a necessary safety feature is completely OTT IMO.
  • Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ah, Joanna.

I didn't think of it as a safety issue as much as just convenience. But you are right, there should not be pressure on us for this or that trend. It is our wedding.

• Julija
    Devoted October 2023
    Julija ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing no train. I refuse to have a bustle. All I can think of when I see them is Cinderella’s step sister’s ball dresses.
  • Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yep Julija,

you either love em (for the one event) or hate em. Glad to have more input from your side.

• Julija
    Devoted October 2023
    Julija ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yep, but your right the look is so pretty though for the ceremony. I’m planning on supplementing a train with a cathedral length veil alternative. It’ll have the long pretty regal feel, but will be detached after the ceremony and pictures to make like easier. Best of both worlds. 🥰
  • Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes indeed pretty for the ceremony. I think that is why most dresses have the trains.

There also are the overskirts, but these may not work with so many of the floor length dresses. But there are these different options.

• Julija
    Devoted October 2023
    Julija ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Very true. They also make for a dramatic reveal at the reception. 🥰
  • Michael
    Devoted October 2023
    Michael Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

A friend had a wedding dress that converted to a short dress for the reception. It was a clever idea but I don't know if it saved her any money compared to other options. She's an artsy person so it is expected for her to do something unusual like that

• Julija
    Devoted October 2023
    Julija ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Those dresses are so hard to find. Usually they aren’t that much more money, but they are defiantly convenient.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics