We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

J
Just Said Yes June 2021

Too soon?

Janece, on September 4, 2020 at 5:16 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 20
Saved Save
Hey ladies! I’m in need of some help. How many months before your wedding did you get your dress? When did your bridesmaids get theirs? I’m plus size and I’m scared if I wait too long it’s gonna become super stressful. I get married June 12, 2021

20 Comments

Latest activity by Meagan, on September 16, 2020 at 2:03 AM
  • Jessica
    Rockstar September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I bought my dress the end of July 2019 for my September 2020 wedding. I didn’t intend to buy so early, but it was a sample sale majorly discounted and I just knew it was the one. You can definitely start shopping now, usually they say about 1 year out depending on how long it will take to order the dress plus alterations.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine Online ·
    • Flag
    Now is not too early. My big wedding is March 2021 and I bought my dress January of this year. My bridesmaids got their dresses last month
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I got my dress a little under a year before my wedding

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    I think now would be a good time to start looking! I bought my dress in November 2019 for my original date of July 2020.
  • Megan
    Expert October 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    Now would be a good time to start looking! My sister went shopping for her dress only 5 months out and she loved one that would t have come in time ouch! I got my dress 9 months out and I’m plus size as well! I ordered it in December and it came in March three months later. My wedding is in October. I also spent 3 months dress shopping and went to 15 stores because I knew what I wanted and couldn’t find it anywhere! You can definitely start now for your dress! My girls all got their dresses in March so 6 months out from the wedding.
  • Marisa
    Master May 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag

I would start now. I ordered my dress for May 2021 in July.

• Sarah
    Super August 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I bought my dress at the end of July for my August 2021 wedding. I would start looking now because you might not find it right away and it takes time to come in plus time for alterations.
  • Amanda
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    Went dress shopping in January, my wedding is in October. I was a plus size bride, but told the salon I was losing weight. I waited as long as I could to go dress shopping because I wanted to lose weight. Found a dress I loved and salon owner/ designer said they would set aside the fabric and I could come back in June for measurements again. Dropped 3 dress sizes and they rush ordered my dress for free. Just got my dress last month and it is currently with the seamstress. I wouldn’t have been able to do this anywhere else, but the salon designs their own dresses and they are all American made. We purchased bridesmaid dress on the same day at David’s bridal. It came in one month later.
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

Bought my dress in August 2019, getting married October 2020. I also was not planning on buying that early, but I wanted to go shopping with my sister before she went back to college. Ended up finding a sample sale dress that I couldn't pass up!

For one that you're ordering, that can take 6-8 months+ to come in, plus possible alterations. Now is definitely not too early!

For bridesmaids dresses, I didn't go a traditional route -- I let the girls pick their dresses from different places (my only requirement was floor-length and navy). They just ordered theirs last month (from Amazon, Lulu's, and Birdy Grey).

• Kiara
    Super August 2021
    Kiara Online ·
    • Flag

My wedding was supposed to be last month and i brought my dress in june of last year..My bridesmaides got theirs in march of this year...

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Star shopping now. Mine took 8 months to arrive, and I had 3 rounds of alterations. That was in 2017. With Covid and tough import restrictions over the past few years, dresses can take longer. Go now.
  • Kristin
    Devoted October 2020
    Kristin ·
    • Flag
    I bought mine in July 2019 for an October 2020 wedding. Thankfully I got it when I did because production was delayed because of Covid so it didn’t come in until end of June
  • A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is October 2021, and I ordered my dress at the end of July. My goal was to get as much done during the summer as possible. I’d start looking now. It takes time for dresses to come in, and you may have to go to more than one appointment to find the right dress.

Bridesmaids should order theirs four to five months out, depending on where they are ordering from. I ordered from an online bridesmaids’ dress retailer, and it took four months to arrive. It was slightly delayed due to the pandemic, but that is still an issue for many retailers at the moment. The dress also needs alterations, so time for that is important.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag
    I bought mine 12 months in advance (it took 7 months to come in, then I had 4 rounds of alterations). My bridesmaids ordered their dresses 7 months in advance, and I believe they took around 3 months to come in.
  • Laquita
    Devoted July 2021
    Laquita ·
    • Flag

I asked the same question and was told it's never really too early to start looking. My wedding is July 25, 2021 and I recently purchased my dress a few weeks ago. I thought it'd take longer to find one, but I fell for mine during my first appointment, it also helped that it was nearly $500 less than its original price. I say start looking, don't allow anyone to pressure you & if you find something you love, then get it.

• Katherine
    Dedicated February 2020
    Katherine ·
    • Flag
    I'd been looking online thinking about what style dress I wanted before I was even officially engaged lol But I ended up finding "the One" by The end of May 2019, wedding was in February 2020. Imo it's never too early! But it can be too late almost, my only bridesmaid waited literally the week before my ceremony to find a dress lol SO STRESSFUL when ppl put things off to the last minute :')
  • M
    Savvy September 2021
    Maggy ·
    • Flag
    I actually picked the dress I’m August, found beautiful dresses from amazon. Ordering it by the end of this year in a bigger size
  • Jei
    Dedicated June 2021
    Jei ·
    • Flag
    I am getting married June 5, 2021 and I went dress shopping this week. At both the location I went to I was informed that it can take up to 4-6 months for the dress to arrive after it's been order. I was told that it would be best to make a decision no later then mid October. Which leaves just enough time if any additional alterations are needed after the dress arrives. I recommend getting started on your shopping, especiallysince you are under the year mark. So many places have a backlog due to being shut down. Now is a perfect time to look
  • E
    Devoted August 2020
    Elle ·
    • Flag

I would start now. I bought my dress July 2019 for my August 2020 wedding.

• Meagan
    Beginner December 2020
    Meagan ·
    • Flag

I'm a plus size girl too and I got mine 6 months before my wedding. My bridesmaids had ordered their dresses before I got mine because I had found a very good online sale and told them to order right away. I found a beautiful tea length cap sleeve retro style dress that will go beautifully with my custom Texas Ranger converse sneakers so I'm just tickled I felt like I was a little under the wire with mine but if you find the dress and have a great seamstress to do alterations it takes a lot of the stress away.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles