Libby
Just Said Yes October 2021

Too soon?

Libby, on November 18, 2019 at 9:02 AM Posted in Planning 1 18
Saved Save
Hey bride-to-be's!

We have a 2 year engagment over here. We're planning for end of September-early October 2021. What's your thoughts on buying the little odds and ends this soon? Like personalized hanger for pictures, white Christmas lights after they go on clearance, garter..etc. we don't have a date or venue or a official bridal party so I'm not going all crazy just yet. Any other odds and ends i could get?

18 Comments

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride
    • Flag
    Hmmm... if you know you want decor that鈥檒l be on sale after the holidays, great. But maybe not with optional items (hangars, favors) because you might need more budget once you get into it and might be upset you spent it on optional items.
  • Erin
    Dedicated September 2021
    Erin
    • Flag
    If you find good deals i say do it! I鈥檓 not getting married until September 2021 but im definitely going to be checking out deals for decor and such after the holidays! I already have my venue so i know what im looking for 馃槉
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos
    • Flag
    I bought things like jewelry, stamps, candles very early bc you鈥檙e gonna need it and you鈥檒l need your big money later for the deposits and final payments
  • Libby
    Libby
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes! Thank you fur those that's what i was thinking! Im trying to get ahead of the game do i don't become a bridzilla馃槅
  • Kristen
    Super October 2020
    Kristen
    • Flag

I say start buying now because those things won't spoil. Don't buy your bouquet now lol. I am a year away and I have my dress but then I have time to get accessories and time to lose a good amount of weight and if needed alterations. I plan to get little things here and there so it is not so much money at once. Smiley smile Etsy is a great place and as soon as things I favorite go on sale I get it.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle
    • Flag
    I also say do it if you find good deals along the way
  • Libby
    Libby
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What are some things you're eyeing down on Etsy? Ive been looking around, but most of the stuff im looking at I'd want to be personalized.
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen
    • Flag
    I would focus on getting a venue first. When we looked at venues in June of 2018, they were mostly all fully booked already for September and October of 2019. Though, June of 2019 was still open (luckily we wanted June anyway). But September and October are the 2 most popular wedding months so I honestly think it鈥檚 good to get a jump on venue hunting!
  • Paige
    Dedicated August 2020
    Paige
    • Flag
    Buying the little things ahead of time will help spread out the cost. I will caution you that it could make it end up costing more though! If you spread it out, you may end up buying more than you would have otherwise. You鈥檒l also want to make sure what you buy will work even if you change your theme or venue
  • Samantha
    Dedicated July 2020
    Samantha
    • Flag

I feel like sooner the better! You'll be able to space everything out throughout the months instead of having to rush last minute to buy everything. Our engagement is a little less than a year and a half and I have been buying a few things each month to space it out. Right now our 2nd bedroom closet has become the storage for all our wedding purchases lol

• Vannesa
    Devoted October 2021
    Vannesa Online
    • Flag

My date is set for October 2, 2021. I have already started looking at venues since October fills up fast. Deals and decor we have gotten a few things here and there from places where it was 50% off so it was a score.

• Haley
    Devoted October 2020
    Haley
    • Flag

I bought A LOT of decor on Cyber Monday 2018 for my Oct 2020 wedding. Just be careful not to buy stuff you MIGHT change your mind on.

• Tori
    Dedicated October 2021
    Tori
    • Flag

Our wedding is in October 2021 and we so far have the venue and will be booking catering by the end of the year. I would start looking soon for a venue because with ours, October was already halfway filled up!

I see nothing wrong with getting small things now. I was thinking of getting those as well if I see a good deal!

• Christine
    Expert September 2020
    Christine
    • Flag

I think you can buy things that you will absolutely, 100% use now (hanger for pictures and a garter are fine, for example), but hold off on actual decor for the wedding until your venue and guest list are totally set. You don't want to spend money on something that you might not end up using! You can wait until next year's holiday sales for the rest.

• J
    Super April 2020
    Jennifer Online
    • Flag

I say buy now for no stress later! If you see it, get it, because it may not be around next year!

• Kristen
    Super October 2020
    Kristen
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I can send you the direct links when I get home as I'm about to go to the gym so I can try to stay in shape more or less for my wedding dress hahaha. I've been looking at hangers that will have our wedding day plus the change of my last name, maid of honor and bridesmaid proposal boxes, wedding reception favors if we do decide to do a post elopement reception and veils. Surprisingly you can get a lot of wedding stuff off of etsy. The veil that I purchased came from there and the only reason I returned it was to exchange it for a longer one in a different color but I love the feel of it and the material and it was under $100 so I could not beat the price. A lot of things on Etsy can be personalized so depending on the things that you want you can look through even down to wedding invitations that you can do yourself. I usually favorite them for later but I would say at least on a weekly basis I get a notification that's something that I favorited is now on sale so I think just getting a little stuff when you can we'll save money down the line.
  • Ashley
    Expert November 2020
    Ashley
    • Flag

By the time we get married, we'll have been engaged for 18 months. I started buying the little things that I'm DIYing myself (like our mason jar candle wedding favors with handwritten tags) in September because that's when Hobby Lobby had 40% the items I needed. I don't think it's ever too early to start collecting things you'll need for your wedding, especially when they're on sale!

• B
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Brianna
    • Flag

Hanger for pictures with your picture in it would be super-cool!

I'm also planning for 2021 - September. I don't thing is too soon... How do you know what step is next? I'm using this guide: https://www.net-boss.org/shop/how-to-prepare-a-perfect-wedding-by-george-holmes and started my own wedding planner bullet-journal style. Of course my fiance says we've got plenty of time and is just useless...

Comment on this discussion