We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Fmv
Super October 2020

To soon for dress shopping

Fmv, on October 5, 2019 at 2:26 PM Posted in Planning 0 17
Saved Save
Im so confused.
Im getting married October 2020. My mom and i stopped into davids bridal yesterday. She wanted to look at mother dresses.
While there i ended up getting a dress appointment for myself next weekend since they are having a 10% off sale.
My mom is excited to go. I asked my grandma to come with and she said it seems so soon to go looking for dresses...my wedding is in one year.
Most people are saying its to soon to go, but then on the other hand some people are shocked i dont have my dress yet
While at davids bridal i asked the consultant when its recommended to buy a dress. She said 8-12 months before the wedding. The only you wait some dresses might not be able to be made in time and the next months will be the busiest in the store as well.
So with that info im confused why some would think its to early to lool buy/look
What do you think? Is a year out to soon to dress shop?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Anna, on October 7, 2019 at 1:31 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    I think 12 months out is the perfect time to start looking.
  • Destiny
    VIP May 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag
    I think ur at the perfect time to start looking, i was reading a news story the other day apparently the older generations 70-80yo would just got to thrift stores a monthe before the wedding and just find the clothes there lol
  • Fmv
    Super October 2020
    Fmv ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Makes sense. My grandma is 89 and said years ago people who just go to jcpenny outlets and buy dresses there for $50 lol
    I told her some salons sell dresses starting at $1,500 needless to say she was shocked.lol
  • E
    Savvy May 2020
    Eive ·
    • Flag
    I got mine 12 months out. I got mine back a month after I ordered it. Now I am not stressed about my dress because I know I have it and I can focous on other things. I can also take my time getting accessories and a veil and make sure I have everything perfect. Im so happy I got mine 12 months out.
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

It's not too soon!

I'm getting married next October as well and bought my dress in August.

Granted, mine is just going to be in storage at the shop until June when it's time to begin alterations, but that's because it was a sample sale.

A new dress can take 4-8 months to come in, and you want to leave 3-4 months for alterations. (Dress shopping can be done on a shorter timeline, but that's a comfortable one.)

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

A year out is a great time to buy a dress! This way you'll have more options and plenty of time for alterations

• M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    It’s fine to get a feel for what you want.

However, I don’t recommend ordering anything right now.

You could start searching next year for a 👰👗and get it for a better💲because they will be getting rid of the older styles to make room for the newer (FULL 💲) ones.

You could also shop online and get a better deal from other vendors.

This is my 👰👗. I ordered it last year for my Wedding last month. You will see that I didn’t spend a lot. 👰👗➕Alterations➕Dry Cleaning was still way less than💲5️⃣0️⃣0️⃣⏺0️⃣0️⃣

https://www.ericdress.com/product/Ericdress-Fancy-Appliques-Sweetheart-Ball-Gown-Colorful-Wedding-Dress-11476740.html
  • Jackie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Jackie ·
    • Flag

I went to DB in July to just look around to see what kind of dresses I like...I ended up buying one that same day! (I am also getting married in October 2020) so if anyone is "too early" it would be me...lol

• Brandi
    Devoted July 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is November 2020. I have my first appointment next month on my birthday. I figured that’d be an exciting birthday venture. I don’t plan on buying or purchasing till January 2020 only because my weight fluctuates and I’m hoping to slim down a little lol. But, no, not too early at all. It’s one less headache and you’ll give yourself enough time to shop around, settle on a dress, receive it (weeks to months) and alter it.
  • K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I feel even more too early. I bought my dress from DB in May and I am also getting married next October. It is tucked away in the deepest darkest corner of my moms closet until I start alterations. It only took about 1 month to come in. I was expecting it to take longer though. The good news is that I have my dress and have more time to really pick out the perfect accessories and plan other parts of my wedding. I am glad I bought mine as soon as I did.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    I do not think it's too soon either. I got mine around 11 months out
  • Jo
    Expert November 2020
    Jo ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think it’s too early at all! I got mine a month after I got engaged and 14 months before the wedding. I was just going for fun but fell in love. The dress will take 8 months to get in so I’m glad I went so early just in case something happens!
  • Lory
    Dedicated November 2019
    Lory ·
    • Flag
    My venue and my dress were the first two things I did after getting engaged! Probably a year and 8 months before the wedding 😁
  • Molly
    Dedicated October 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I think it's a perfect time. i'm getting married oct 2020 too and i already have my dress. i'm just waiting until about feb to start alterations.

• Suzie
    Super October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

Def not too soon! They say 9-12 months out is a good time to look. I am October 2020 also and I just found my dress last weekend! They said it will take 6 months to come in. Some can take longer. People don’t realize how far out wedding planning should be. I read an article about handling unsupportive comments, e.g. “soon soon? or “so far out?”, that suggested politely tell people how far out places book and how there is a longer timeline for wedding planning. It’s not anyone’s place to make these comments, but low and behold, they do! Now that I have my dress, I feel like I can make more decisions regarding bridesmaids dresses, color schemes, and decorations. It sets the tone for everything else! Good luck at your appointment!

• Caitlin
    Devoted June 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    I got mine 13 months before the wedding!
  • Anna
    Super April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

I got a wedding dress from david bridal and mine came in 2 weeks after i bought it. I asked the lady i thought it would come in 6 months or so, she said those are only for certain collections. Their brand usually comes in soonn. Just fyi.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles