We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Ashley
Expert October 2021

To my covid bride friends- eloping

Ashley, on July 2, 2020 at 1:33 PM Posted in Community Conversations 1 20
Saved Save
Idk who needs to hear this, but you do WHATEVER you want and call it WHATEVER you want. But let me tell you my story.

Background:We’re supposed to be getting this October, and as of right now, we’re still hoping for it. But we’ll see. Worst case, we push it back to next October and do the dang thing then. It doesn’t matter to me because the end game is still the same. This year, it is what it is.
I lost my job last week due to COVID, and my health insurance along with it. We knew it was a strong possibility, so we’ve been talking about eloping. And yes, we tried the “domestic partnership” angle, and got no where. To be upfront, it’s not what I want. I wanted to go through all the normal paces, but life happens, and financially, this was the best thing to do. So as of 6/30, I legally married my best friend.
The now: We’re not telling anyone. A few close people, but that’s it. We will have our wedding, it will not be called a vow renewal, and idc what anyone has to say about it. To hell with etiquette. Idk who needs to hear this today, but 2020 has dealt us a really terrible hand. Let’s not let anyone who thinks they know better make us feel anyone worse.
You don’t need to be on my boat, but don’t try to sink it. ❤️

20 Comments

• Sylvana
    Dedicated August 2020
    Sylvana ·
    • Flag
    I so needed to read this today. Congratulations on marrying your best friend 😁🤗
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Honestly I’ve been calling myself a hostage, but it’s all in good fun 😂
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    It’s still a wedding. People will always have their opinions. Whether it’s to put themselves on some sort of a pedestal or simply just to make others feel worse, it’s still a wedding. You’re having a ceremony and then you’re having a big party after. In my opinion if you’re getting charged wedding prices then guess what you’re having a wedding. If people really feel that you have to have a very proper technical term to celebrate your wedding then those are usually the same people that have some sort of underlying anger or envy. If it looks like a wedding, sounds like a wedding, costs like a wedding, it’s a wedding. Sometimes people really just need to jump off their high horse.
  • Jeni
    Devoted July 2021
    Jeni ·
    • Flag
    Yes! I'm getting married next month, but OUR WEDDING is in July 2021. And I dare anyone to tell me otherwise. Keyboard warriors have no bearing on my life, and anyone who has the audacity say something to me in person (which, by the way, is rude by etiqutte standards) will wish they hasn't!

tenor.gif

By the way, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, and I hope things improve in the very near future. Congrats on your marriage and congrats on your upcoming wedding! ❤
  • L
    Devoted July 2020
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    I’m getting married this year having my reception next year and then a vow renewal I say do what you want it’s your life don’t let anyone tell you how to live it! Especially with everything that has happened this year we are officially allowed to do whatever the heck we want!! lol congrats on getting married!!!
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I absolutely agree. Before we made the decision to take the leap, I was reading through these feeds for similar situations. It’s interesting how corrective some people can be. I mean everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but golly times are tough enough as it is lol
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I mean it all is what it is. It’ll all work itself out ☺️
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! 😁
  • Brandi
    Devoted July 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    From one COVID Bride to another... AGREED!!! I’m done taking “advice” from brides that haven’t had to marry as a “Covid” bride. Strength, contentment and happiness for all the Covid brides this year.

Screw etiquette and do exactly as you want.
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Amen sister!!!
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    AMEN! 100%
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

tenor.gif

Girl yas. You do you. Honestly I know I am doing some things against etiquette but whatever. 2020 sucks for various reasons and not just COVID causing havoc on weddings but like you said we gotta roll with the flow. Even if my venue and restaurant for dinner after closes I am marrying my man (even if my MOH's backyard) November 8th. Every bride do what you need to do as everyone will do something different. I love your attitude and great post.

• Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly! And thank you. I looked for a similar post for myself when I needed advice. It needed to be said.
  • Angela
    Savvy April 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    Well said!!
  • Michelle
    Dedicated November 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Elopement twin! We decided to go ahead and elope now since we pushed our wedding out to next year. I am calling them my small wedding and my big wedding. Many people, even pre-covid, have two weddings so I am not worried about it and I don't plan to call it a vow renewal. Originally I wasn't sure about telling people about the elopement (our families did know ahead of time), but I am just so gosh darn excited and love the pictures that I am telling folks. I think friends and family will totally be supportive of us having a big wedding next year. Part of me wonders if I really need to spend $20K when we just had a lovely event for about $120, but I know once the dust settles I will be excited to celebrate with more than just DH present.

• Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ugh YES to all of this! We said we were only going to tell those close to us, but it turns out there’s more people than we thought. Just rolling with it at this point lol but I like the small/big descriptions, I might steal that lol
  • Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Congratulations!
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • S
    Dedicated May 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

We're doing the same. As soon as we can get legally married, we will, and our WEDDING will be in September, Gods willing.

• Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love it! ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles