A
Just Said Yes September 2020

To do the first look or not to???

Arianna, on November 6, 2019 at 10:06 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save
So I’m having timeline issues and am wondering if I should do a first look. My FH and I kinda wanna see each other for the first time at the ceremony buuuuut if we do pictures first we get to spend more time with family. What are the benefits of doing it? What did you do? Ceremony is at 5:30. What was/is your timeline?? heeeeelp

14 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Even without a first look, you can still get a good chunk of your pictures finished before the ceremony. Each of you individually, each of you with your respective parties, each of you with your families. We chose to do a first look and, while I’ve definitely had reservations about it, I’m starting to feel more confident in our decision. In all the forums I’ve read (a lot) I’ve never seen a bride regret doing a first look.
  • Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I agree with Caytlyn, we're doing nearly all of our photos before the ceremony but we aren't doing a first look. We're doing me with my family, him with his family, me with the bridesmaids, him with the groomsmen. After the ceremony. we'll do the whole wedding party and families and then just us together. I'm doing a first look with my dad, but not FH. We want the first time we see each other to be when I'm coming down the aisle Smiley smile

• Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    We did a first look, and I'm so happy we did. We were able to have a private moment with just us, and it was amazing. Also, we got some great photos. And even with a first look and getting a lot of photos done before the ceremony, we still had a lot more photos to do during cocktail hour. I still cried when I started walking down the aisle. I don't think the ceremony was any less special.
  • B
    Super July 2018
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

We didn't do a first look, I really don't like them to be honest. I really didn't see any benefits worth ruining my vision of seeing each other for the first time down the aisle. Photos after the ceremony went quick. We still got to make it the last 20 mins of cocktail hour and say hi to all of our guests. We had a huge bridal party and my little cousin (ring bearer) kept wanting to tell stories so lots of coordinating and re-focusing and it still didn't take that long.

• Ashley
    Expert November 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I'm doing my first look with my dad because I want my FH to see me for the first time walking down the aisle. Smiley heart My dad is also my best friend and hero so I want us to have a special moment as well.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I did it because my reception was immediately after so I didn't really have time in between
  • A
    Arianna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

The idea of getting some pictures done before is such a good idea! Thank you

• A
    Arianna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I was worried about the time for cocktail hour but it's awesome to know Brittany had time. I don't have a ring bearer/flower girl and my wedding party is super small so it's more likely for me to have more time! yay!

• A
    Arianna ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone for the advice! It really has helped Smiley heart

• Katelyn
    Devoted October 2020
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag

We weren't originally going to do a first look, but we decided that we are going to do one yesterday. The pros just outweighed the cons for us.

Our ceremony and venue are at the same place. I REALLY wanted to do a receiving line to greet all of the guests so I could actually enjoy dinner. I also want to enjoy the appetizers that we are paying for lol. But the main thing is that it just makes sense logistically for us - and I get super anxious in front of big groups so he will be able to calm me down beforehand. From what I've read, no one has regretted doing a first look - it's an intimate moment for the two of you to spend alone. I think this is important because we will not have a moment alone after that until the reception is over. Just figure out what is important for the two of you and go from there! Smiley heart

Good luck!

• Delaney
    Savvy December 2020
    Delaney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aw, I love this!

• Delaney
    Savvy December 2020
    Delaney ·
    • Flag

I think that whatever you do, you won't regret it! No matter if you do a first look or do it walking down the aisle the moment is going to be so special for you and your FH!! Smiley heart

• A
    Arianna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think we’ll make a list and go from there! thank you for your experience, it has definitely helped 😊
  • A
    Arianna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think I just need to remember that no matter what happens it’s about us and everything will work out. ❤️

Comment on this discussion