We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

A
Beginner October 2020

Tipping?

A, on October 4, 2020 at 5:37 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 5
Saved Save
What is everyone doing for tipping their vendors that own their business? My hair and make up artist both own their company and do weddings on the side so I wasn’t sure if I’m supposed to tip them since they own their business? I know it’s standard that when someone owns a business you don’t tip but I wasn’t sure what the etiquette is?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Jeanette, on October 5, 2020 at 3:01 AM
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

You do not but I am going by how helpful they were prior especially in regards to communication or going the extra mile. My officiant has dang near been a planner at times for me and is decorating the venue a bit and bringing a speaker for music and has answered any questions I have. I am giving her a personalized water cup and $100 tip. Tipping both photographers $100 and also giving personalized water bottles.

• Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

Tipping etiquette is so confusing with wedding industry stuff, but I err on the side of tipping for most vendors unless there is a gratuity/service fee included in the contract.

For example, the contract for my hair stylist has a tip built in; I signed the contract with the person who owns the company, but one of her employees will be performing the service.

My MUA owns her own company and is the only person that performs services. I elected to tip her and added that on to my final payment that was due last week (she's been really phenomenal throughout the whole process).

My photographer also owns her own company and is the only person that performs services. This is another case of a stellar vendor who we will elect to tip.

We have a cellist and a violinist, who I plan on tipping via Venmo the day after the wedding.

My venue takes care of food and everything too, and they include a gratuity fee. We are still electing to tip my coordinator individually, and the guys running shuttle service.

• Chelsea
    Dedicated December 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    Tipping? 1
    My coordinator gave me this!
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We’re not tipping. Our venue has an all inclusive package that we signed up for & the owner stated that tips are included in the price.
  • Jeanette
    Expert July 2021
    Jeanette ·
    • Flag
    I have the same question! I don't want to not tip and they're expecting one, but my MUAH owns her business too and sets her own prices. I was under the impression that this is when tips are not expected. But for this kind of service there usually a tip based on percentage. Confused...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles