Skip to main content
J
Just Said Yes April 2018

Tipping the dj

Johanna, on April 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved

How much do you tip the DJ? I've been looking through all the wedding websites and am getting different amounts - it's so confusing! My coordinator suggests 15-20%, which seems a bit high to me, especially since he owns his own business.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Johanna, on April 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM
  • O
    Master October 2017
    O ·
    • Flag
    We tipped what we could, $100, and a note. if we could we would have gave our DJ more. Just a really awesome DJ.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I read somewhere that if the DJ is the owner you don't really need to tip them, but if the DJ is just someone who works for the DJ company then 10-20% is a nice gesture. I'm not sure what we will do. We will definitely tip our DJ no matter what, but I like the idea of a note as well as the tip. At the end of the day, you aren't forced to tip them, and whatever you can give is a nice gesture and probably really appreciated.

• K
    Expert May 2018
    K ·
    • Flag
    I’m a big believer in tipping 20% even if the DJ owns his own company. I just think of it as he/she still has to pay their employees, stay up to date on equiptment, etc. It’s not required, but it’s a nice gesture.

I would say tip what you’re comfortable with. I think the note is a nice idea too.
  • stbmrs2019
    Devoted September 2019
    stbmrs2019 ·
    • Flag

I agree that you should tip what you are comfortable with. The DJ company we are looking at states on their pricing guide that tipping is not required. It's a nice gesture but certainly not required for them.

• Alondra S.
    Expert September 2018
    Alondra S. ·
    • Flag
    I think 18-20% is pretty standard
  • Melanie
    Devoted March 2018
    Melanie ·
    • Flag
    If he owns the business, then he sets the price you are paying and you don’t need to tip him. He’s not an hourly employee.

however, I would recommend going to the ATM and getting $200-300 in twenty dollar bills before your wedding. Make your hubby keep them in his jacket pocket. At the end of the night, if you want to tip anyone who went above and beyond you will have cash for that! Maybe you throw the DJ some cash because he was awesome, or the venue provided a personal attendant that was wonderful, your Photobooth attendant got some silly shots of your grandma and did a good job, etc.

i regret not doing this!
  • V
    Just Said Yes May 2018
    Valerie ·
    • Flag
    You shouldnt consider owning the business in your tipping decision! If they are setting fair prices they deserve tips for their good work anyway. Business owners have it even harder in many ways than their employees do- tip based on how well you feel the service was performed
  • J
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Johanna ·
    • Flag
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I ended up tipping him a percentage of his services, and I'm really glad I did because he was awesome. I kept getting comments on what a good dj he was.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics