We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Catalena
Dedicated November 2019

Tip Jar for Bartender(s)

Catalena, on June 27, 2019 at 10:24 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 14
Saved Save
We will be having an open bar, not a lot of varieties of different drinks but at least a few to choose from. I’m not wanting to make anybody pay for their drinks but would it be a bad idea to have a tip jar for the ladies who’ll be making and pouring the drinks?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Kim, on June 28, 2019 at 7:39 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

My opinion is that tipping is the responsibility of the host(s). It's also impossible to know whether or not your guests tipped adequately so that you can supplement it with your own funds, unless you plan to go to the bartenders and ask them to count out their tip money, which would be awkward and inappropriate.

• LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    • Flag

I'm not a fan of a tip jar. It kinda shows the guests that you aren't properly taking care of your staff and instead it's their responsibility.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Our venue gives us the option of paying the tip or tip jars. Typically at weddings, my fiance and I tip the bartender regardless if a tip jar is out or not because it feels weird not to!

• Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I think it's fine!
  • Caitlin
    Savvy July 2019
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag

I think it's fine, we are doing one as well! I also think this is a regional thing as I remember reading that tip jars were a no-no. However, in Minnesota, it seems like every wedding I go to has a tip jar and people see them as normal!

• Lily
    Dedicated December 2019
    Lily ·
    • Flag
    We also had the option of tip jar or paying the tip ourselves. We are going to do both. We don't want to make the guests tip, and if we did, we wouldn't like to have to rely on them to tip the proper amount. At the same time, if they do want to tip a little extra, I don't want the bartenders to lose out on that.
  • Mariangeli
    Devoted October 2019
    Mariangeli ·
    • Flag

I always bring cash to a wedding specifically to leave a tip for the bartender. I think it's rude to receive drinks made by someone and not tip (even if its an open bar). I would leave a tip whether or not there was a jar so I would set one out!

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I do the same. We had an open bar at my wedding. I tipped the bartender adequately and the guests tipped on their own accord. The bartender put the tip jar out, not me.
  • Rebecca
    Dedicated August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

No, do not put out a tip jar, pay the tip yourself privately and make sure the bartenders know that you will pay it. If guests see a tip jar, they will feel obligated to take out their wallets. If I’m a guest at a wedding, I assume the bride and groom are generously tipping their staff.

• Andrea
    Super October 2019
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    We are planning to tip our bartenders and servers ourselves.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with this. If a guest wants to tip the bartenders they still can. But the jar suggests they “should” which doesn’t feel right at a wedding.
  • LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly I tip regardless of a tip jar being out but if the tip jar is out I def side eye the host a little.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    Does the venue say anything about a tip jar? Some venues will charge if you do not allow one.
    Do you plan on privately tipping the bartenders? If yes then you can put a sign that states the gratuity has been covered by the hosts. If not then a tip jar is appropriate.
  • Kim
    Super September 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag

Tips are included with our package. However, when we go to weddings, we tip the bartender anyway, and I don't remember seeing tip jars as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles