Skip to main content
Melissa
Super June 2018

Thoughts on what to do with my great grandmother's ring?

Melissa, on August 12, 2017 at 6:49 PM Posted in Planning 0 15
Saved

Hi everyone. So my grandparents recently passed on my great grandmother's engagement ring to me. They originally thought that my (then boyfriend) could use the diamond in a new engagement ring (the band itself is destroyed), but then FH was a little bit more on the ball then they thought and he proposed before they had the chance to tell him.

We were thinking we could get it made into a pendant or some sort of jewelry to wear on the wedding day (and after). Any thoughts or recommendations?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Nancy Taussig, on August 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM
  • Hahnsolo
    Super March 2018
    Hahnsolo ·
    • Flag

Keep it the way it is and wear on the other hand?

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

I wear my Nanas ring on my left hand.

• AJ
    Expert July 2018
    AJ ·
    • Flag

My grandmother had her wedding ring remade into a solitaire necklace. When she passed, my sister ended up with it. All of the cousins (her grandkids) wear it on their wedding day.

• Melissa
    Super June 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Thanks all! @JustKidding, I know! It is absolutely beautiful. So delicate.

I have a family ring that I wear on my right hand, otherwise that would have been my first choice.

• LibbyLane
    Super July 2018
    LibbyLane ·
    • Flag

I would attempt to have the band fixed. It's stunning as is, and then you could wear it and could eventually pass it down.

• Meg
    Devoted October 2017
    Meg ·
    • Flag

It's beautiful. I would make it into a necklace. I know I would wear that more than a ring.

• Amanda
    Expert September 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

It is beautiful. Maybe you can find a way to preserve just the setting and turn it into a pendant so it still looks a little like the ring.

• The Trap Selena
    Master March 2016
    The Trap Selena ·
    • Flag

That ring is beautiful! Maybe you could get it put into another setting, but have accent stones (maybe of her birthstone) on the sides where the flat part is immediately beside the center stone?

I hope that made sense.

• L
    Just Said Yes August 2018
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Could you incorporate it into your bouquet somehow, or if not, maybe it could be made into a hair accessory? I plan to wear a comb from my grandmother in my hair. Just thinking outside the box here! Beautiful ring!

• M
    Dedicated August 2017
    Mindy ·
    • Flag

I am putting my GMA rings in my bouquet she passed away in March

• J
    Dedicated August 2017
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

My grandma on my dad's side gave me her wedding rings a few years ago. I didn't incorporate them in the wedding. I ended up just putting them in my jewelry box for safe keeping.

• LaKesha
    Super May 2017
    LaKesha ·
    • Flag

I would just keep it. It's gorgeous

• Mary C
    Super November 2018
    Mary C ·
    • Flag

I have my Grandmother's ring. It is bent from the year of wear from her. I can't wear it due to size, but I have kept it as is for the memories. When I am missing her, I hold it and remember the time I had with such a wonderful woman.

• J. Clo
    Master May 2018
    J. Clo ·
    • Flag

I like the tradition Allison's family has established. Quite sentimental

• Nancy Taussig
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

My MIL's e-ring had already been reset into a more modern setting (by her). I had the diamond set into a pendant that I designed along with a jeweler.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics