Abe
Dedicated April 2014

Thoughts on bolero jackets?

Abe, on March 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 20
Saved Save

I went in for a first fitting the other day and have been elated with the dress I picked... then my mom took a picture from what she said was a "flattering" angle. HA. Anyway, I hated my arms! And I recalled that a friend wore a bolero cardigan through her ceremony and I thought it was very pretty - it was a dark red. So I considered the same... I'm also kind of afraid of looking like an idiot. What is the general consensus on boleros? My dress is pretty simple (aside from a bow on the front empire wasteline).

20 Comments

• cupcake_bride
    Expert November 2014
    cupcake_bride ·

We need a pic of the dress and jacket possibility!

I actually am considering one as well...when I google my dress some girl from the UK pops up wearing a bolero and it looks really pretty. I really hate my arms as well. I think it's cool to wear one for the ceremony and then take it off for the reception bc you'll probably get hot from dancing!

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·

Paris wore one and she looked fabulous! But she wore it out of respect for her Catholic ceremony and the establishment of the Church.

• Lora
    Super April 2014
    Lora ·

... I love them.. but I guess I'm old and fat

• Abe
    Dedicated April 2014
    Abe ·

That's what I was thinking, cupcake... I also just don't want to ruin all of my own pictures hahaha... I bought two jackets, currently being shipped (from a place I won't name because I know other WWer's hate it a little too much), so the only picture I have is from online - but here are the two:

• Abe
    Dedicated April 2014
    Abe ·

Thanks, GameCox & Laura!

• Riki
    Master August 2014
    Riki ·

I feel like people wear them because they feel like bolero jackets hide flaws, but in reality they accentuate and draw attention to potential problem areas.

• Lora
    Super April 2014
    Lora ·

Abe are you a fellow china bride? <3

I'm partial to the lace ones like this.

• SandM
    VIP August 2014
    SandM ·

I think they are just fine. I'm wearing a smaller but classy jacket because I don't want to be freezing at the air conditioned reception! I say wear it if it would make you feel more comfortable at the wedding instead of worrying the whole time.

• MichiganBride104
    VIP October 2014
    MichiganBride104 ·

Oh man! You got my dress! I went into the store only wanting that dress...i was dead set on it! They said it was discontinued and they no longer had it! I ended up getting a Very Wang that is veryyyy similar! I love that dress!!

• Stephanie
    Master November 2014
    Stephanie ·

So here's my take on it:

- A lot of dresses aren't designed to look incredible with a cover-up, and some cover-ups look better than others. If the dress looks amazing on you and you want to cover up your arms, consider that the dress will look a LOT different with a cover-up.

- I'm not the world's biggest fan of my arms either, but I was starting to feel super stressed about wearing sleeves in the summer. Like, come on, everyone else is going sleeveless, I'm hot and sweaty ... etc etc. And then it occurred to me: sleeves are not "fooling" anyone into thinking my arms are any thinner, or that I don't have big arms. Like, my arms are STILL BIG and everyone can STILL TELL. So I might as well feel comfortable!

• MichiganBride104
    VIP October 2014
    MichiganBride104 ·

Also, your FH and my FH have a freakish resemblance...

• Lora
    Super April 2014
    Lora ·

For some reason no matter how many times i edit it that comment won't fix!!

I said

"are you a fellow china bride? <3 I'm personally partial to the lace ones like this"

damn weddingwire

• Abe
    Dedicated April 2014
    Abe ·

Lora - not for much, but I couldn't pass up a couple of $30 chances at maybe looking better haha...

A month and a half is not enough time to take back what a year at my first sit-down desk job stole from me! Going from being on my toes all the time to sitting 40 hours a week takes its toll. It's unfortunate, but I also have PCOS and anyone else who has it can tell you that it's a bitch when it comes to losing weight. Not an excuse, but I do work out, eat smart, and am pretty athletic, however, not everyone gets the same results - especially not in 45 days.

• Abe
    Dedicated April 2014
    Abe ·

Shannon, that's hilarious. It's a wonder you're not getting married in April, what with all the similarities

Stephanie, thanks... I did buy the boleros with the idea that they may not look great. That's also why I only spent like $30 on both of them.

This is my friend's bolero - I thought it looked great...

• Anisea
    Master July 2014
    Anisea ·

BHLDN.com has great cover ups

• Abe
    Dedicated April 2014
    Abe ·

Thanks for the suggestion, Anisea! That angora topper is adorable...

• Anisea
    Master July 2014
    Anisea ·

Semi wraps

• Olivia
    Dedicated November 2014
    Olivia ·

I am using a fur stole for the ceremony because it is a traditional roman catholic wedding. It is beautiful and they come in tons of colors. I got a vintage one and if you object to fur there's also faux fur.

• Brittany
    Super July 2014
    Brittany ·

I think it's all about you feeling comfortable and "like yourself" if you like the way or looks and are comfortable that way go for it. I'm considering something g similar.

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·

My dress came with a tiny, cap-sleeve bolero. I rocked that shit.

Comment on this discussion