We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Cassandra
Devoted September 2021

The silver lining in planning a wedding during the pandemic.

Cassandra, on July 23, 2020 at 1:23 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 17
Saved Save

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to take a moment to share some positivity to all of you currently planning your wedding/getting married during the pandemic.

We were in the first wave of people whose weddings were postponed due to Covid-19. Our wedding was originally supposed to take place 04/25/2020. We went ahead and postponed the big wedding to 09/05/2020. When we postponed the wedding we didn't expect for the pandemic to last as long as it has. We decided to postpone our wedding again until 09/05/2021, however we are still getting married and having a small romantic ceremony this year in Savannah, GA!

Before we first postponed the wedding we were only 1 month out and I had a large list of concerns. These concerns were eating me up and making me very anxious about our big day. Going through this whole process has really made me realize how insignificant those concerns really were. I realize now that as long as me and my FH get married, I'll be happy and consider it a success.

I really wanted to get eloped and my FH wanted a big wedding - now we get to have both Smiley smile . My mother wanted kids at the wedding and I didn't. I was worried that the kids would end up ruining our ceremony by crying or screaming. However, since they will not be at the small wedding it won't matter to me if they do it at the big wedding next year - we will already be married. I was worried about drama with my FMIL. FH isn't close with her, so there always seems to be drama with her. She won't be coming to the small wedding so if it does happen at the big wedding - we will already be married so it doesn't matter. I was sad about not going to Greece for our honeymoon after a year of waiting - now I'll appreciate it even more when we go next year. Also, by this time I would have already finished my trip, but now I still have a trip to look forward to.

There are always reasons to stress and feel anxious about the big day, however this pandemic has really opened my eyes and helped me to stop stressing the little things. We constantly worry about the little things ruining the big day - but the worst has already happened so now I'm prepared for anything!

Has anyone else been feeling the same?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on July 24, 2020 at 8:47 PM
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

We postponed our wedding from October to April. I'm not 100% confident that April will happen, but I've been trying to be positive and find silver linings assuming it does happen. We are getting married on the coast, in the South, and we were really worried about a hurricane hitting the week of our wedding. Well...not so in April! I also spent last weekend outside and was reminded that my sunburns turn into really ridiculous looking tan lines and now I don't have to worry about getting it to even out before the wedding since I'll be back to my pale self in the spring.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I’m glad to see that you are thinking positive
  • Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m hopeful that your April wedding will go as planned! That’s awesome that you were able to find silver linings in your postponement too! 😊

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I think we have to during trying times- it gives us something to look forward too after all of this is over.
  • Michelle
    Devoted November 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Thanks for your positivity. I was really upset when we decided to postpone our wedding, but I have now come to see it as getting an extra wedding where I had the opportunity to try out other things. I got to wear a different dress that doesn't fit the big theme, but was perfect for our elopement. I got to diy flowers, hair and makeup which I was too nervous to do for the big event. We did a destination wedding--and I confirmed I am glad we didn't decide to do this for the big wedding. Lastly, I got to learn how to use imovie to put together our wedding video afterwards.

I do think that this has made me a bit more laid back about the next wedding, knowing we pulled off all this by ourselves.

• Marisa
    Master October 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag

It’s good to finally hear someone upbeat about all of this! Smiley heart

I went through the motions but now I’m ready to take on anything lol. Literally just excited to marry by best friend, twice! And to have an elopement and a celebration with friends and family next year. It’s going to be awesome!

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Wow! How wonderful you get two celebrations and each of you get one you want. Win-win! 💜 💜
  • Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's amazing! I also am doing DIY flowers (they're fake), but it was actually empowering to do it myself.

Sounds like you are definitely getting the best of both worlds with your weddings. Smiley smile

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's amazing! I also keep saying I get to be a bride for even longer too! I mean how lucky are we?

I see everyone saying that weddings go by in a blink of an eye, but with having 2 I don't think that will be the case.

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's exactly how I feel about it! Smiley smile Smiley heart

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Yes! So many people have said this is a heartbreaking decision, but for us, it was easy. I was worried about the potential for people to get sick at our wedding, and postponing makes me feel like I'm keeping everyone safe. I knew I was more anxious than I needed to about our wedding but I didn't realize how bad it was until I started sleeping better once the quarantine started and while everyone else was freaking out over the coronavirus, I didn't have to think about the wedding because I didn't know if it would happen. I had always wanted to have a smaller wedding, but my fiancè is very social and I have a lot of relatives. I had decided I could tolerate 125 people, we sent save the dates to 160. Now we're getting married in a very private ceremony (just our immediate families, only 15 people). I never imagined our wedding being THAT small, but I'm glad it's working out this way. Whenever we end up having our reception (we've chosen a date but I'm not overly confident that it will happen), we'll already be married, so I won't be nearly as nervous and I won't mind when my fiancè friend needs to bring a guest or my mom wants to add a few more friends. Plus I get to wear my dress twice!
  • Marisa
    Master October 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag
    Yes that’s awesome! I felt a huge weight was lifted after we decided to elope & postpone. It was more stressful not knowing if it would be safe and trying to figure out ways to keep people safe.
  • Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I totally agree! Worrying about getting one of our loved ones sick was not something we wanted, so postponing was a no-brainer too.

I love that you are both getting your ideal weddings too. I am also super excited about wearing my dress twice. I always thought it was ridiculous that they cost so much considering we wear it for one day - wearing it for two is definitely a win!

• Marisa
    Master October 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

They do go by so fast!

• Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

Yes, love your positivity! I'm still working to get through all the mopey-ness lol we will be getting married on our original but now postponed wedding date, 8/16. And I can't wait! You had a lot of valid points. I will still flip if a child cries at my "other" ceremony though! lol But it definitely is the best of both worlds... not putting anyone in danger, get to celebrate 2 ways twice, a minimoon and a honeymoon once things are normal again! Wish you the best!! Smiley smile

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much for posting this! It's really nice to be encouraged to look at things positively and to see other people doing the same!
  • Michelle
    Devoted November 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Mine were fake too. I thought about doing fresh but because it was a destination wedding and I wasn't sure what would be around I found it easier to make ahead of time. I also made a matching boutonniere for DH. The nice thing is that I can now display my bouquet in our place.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics