We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

DabC
Dedicated January 2021

Thank you notes- 1 half of couple attended but both names on card/gift

DabC, on February 1, 2021 at 1:37 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved Save

Hello all,

I keep thinking I'm done with all the "wedding stuff" but here I am again with more questions.

So I have a few cards signed with both names of a couple however, only one of them actually attended. Does anyone have wording for this scenario?

Like am I supposed to acknowledge both in a manner of "Jack, thank you for attending" and "Jill, we wish you could have been there"? Or just thank them for the gift and for supporting our union? Yeah I dunno, help a sista out please and thank you!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Hannah, on February 1, 2021 at 8:36 PM
  • Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly ·
    • Flag

I would just thank them both for supporting your marriage and for whatever they gifted you with!

• DabC
    Dedicated January 2021
    DabC ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Okay thanks. I feel like there's so much etiquette that goes into these kind of things, I just don't want to be wrong lol the funny thing is, I'm over here stressing things like this but the specific attendees etiquette was terrible so they probably don't know the difference either way! *sighs* but still, I'd feel better knowing I'm on point

• Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I feel ya! I think it would be perfectly fine to just thank them for the gift and their support!

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    As PP said, thank them both. The thank you card is for the gift. The reception is already the "thank you for attending."
  • Jessica
    Devoted February 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Thank you so much for (put in what they gave/ why you love it or are thankful for it). Then finish with- I hope we’ll be able to all get together soon.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Agree with this. It's not improper etiquette for only one to attend. You don't know if they had other obligations they couldn't miss or whatever the situation is.
  • DabC
    Dedicated January 2021
    DabC ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for commenting, however, that's not why I said their etiquette is improper. It's been jacked up from jump, starting from RSVPs lol and I know EXACTLY why they didn't attend, how long they've known they weren't going to attend, and they didn't even have plans on informing me. I had to ask them. But anyway, I digress cuz of course I'm going to thank them.

I see you are in agreeance that the reception was the thank you and the thank you note is for the gift but I'm also sending thank you cards to those who attended but didn't send a gift. Am I not supposed to?

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    Yes, typically you do not send thank you cards to guests just for attending. However, you can if you want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics