C
Just Said Yes October 2019

Terrible Reception

Ciera, on September 20, 2019 at 7:14 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 19
Saved Save
So, we spent ALL day decorating a barn (ended up looking absolutely beautiful). I feel like I spent so much time and money on absolutely everything. Food for 150 guests, decorations, chairs/tables, and days and days creating a music play list.

The ceremony went well although only a handful of people showed up. Turned out even less than that actually came to the reception. (Maybe 20).

When we got there to take photos everyone kept coming up to us to watch/talk so when we were announced into the building a group of people were surrounding us. No one from the bridal party was sitting at the bridal table so I ended up sitting by myself. Finally when we gathered the bridal party to the table we finally began.

The announcer interrupted the best man during his speech so he just stopped and was embarrassed.

My playlist had slow older music first i was hoping to get the older people to dance but then people started to leave. Some even told my husband "this is boring" and then had the audacity to ask if they can plug in their phone and "play music they like".

I went outside to say bye to more people that were leaving (maybe 2 hours in now) and when I walked inside.... the people that were left WERE PACKING EVERYTHING UP. Food being put up, tables being knocked down, and the dance floor that my husband spent ALL NIGHT making the night before was being torn apart. But I thought if everyone thought it was THAT boring, then its obviously for the best to just leave and go home and cry.

I was crushed. I still am. I feel like I didnt even get a chance to make it fun. I didnt even get a chance. I spent all this time and all this money for what was supposed to be the funnest night of my life only to end up feeling like the worst. We were all out of the place by the time it even got dark. Before any of the fast songs played. Before I even got to really dance and drink and laugh.

I wish I would have just had a BBQ in my back yard. Would have saved so much money and probably would have had a lot more fun.

Now anytime I see, think, or hear about weddings I just want to cry. I cannot believe it. And I dont know what I am to do since this was a once in a life time night for me. Please please help any advice would be greatly appreciated.

19 Comments

• Kristin
    Dedicated August 2018
    Kristin ·
    Wow! I’m almost crying for you. I’m so sorry this happened to you and your husband. Maybe you and your husband should string some fairy lights, get a couple bottles of champagne, take the uneaten food, put your wedding clothes back on and have your own party. Make this special for the two of you as much as you can.
  • Alma
    Dedicated June 2020
    Alma ·

I am so sorry you had to experience this!

I would have a re-do? Maybe just you and your husband have a good afternoon of dancing?

• Christine
    Devoted September 2020
    Christine ·

I'm so sorry, that sounds absolutely devastating. I guess my only advice would be for you and your husband to take some time for yourselves (just relax and celebrate being married) and distance yourself from the people who told you your wedding was "boring" and started packing up the event for you. That's really hurtful and you don't need people like that in your life right now.

• B
    Expert March 2020
    B Online ·
    This is actually a big fear of mine because people don't seem too excited for the wedding. I'm so sorry this happened! My heart breaks for you. Are you having a honeymoon? If so, can you bring your dress and do a destination ceremony? I've heard of doing one in a public bar area at resorts. They are all strangers but they party with you. Or go to Vegas for a weekend and celebrate. I've heard it's a blast. Don't let this become your last memory of your wedding! Put that dress back on and party somewhere!
  • D
    Super September 2019
    Dana ·
    Wow I am so sorry that this happened to you. What a shame ! I mean if you want to do something I would only invite people who are extremely important to you and maybe do a dinner
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    I’m so sorry, those people completely suck. Maybe reading Etiquette Hell’s Hell’s Bells(wedding) stories would make you feel better? They’re full of guest stories like that. We put all this time and money into an event and sometimes it just doesn’t pay off. Remember at the end of the day you’re married! You have a right to be angry and hurt though.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    Omg I am so so sorry. That is such rude behavior of all of your guests!
    Shme on all of them!
  • Chrysta
    Devoted November 2020
    Chrysta ·
    Oh my gosh, I am so so sorry!! That is absolutely terrible. I second B’s suggestions though!
  • Madeline
    Dedicated October 2019
    Madeline ·
    I’m sorry that you feel that way hun after all the effort that the both of you put to make your wedding happen! I know is tough right now, but try to look at the positive side of everything... you got to marry the love of your life enjoy your new life together! Best wishes to the both of you oh and Congratulations!!❤️
  • October2019
    Dedicated October 2019
    October2019 ·
    I don't have any advice I am so so sorry this happened. But I hope that you have many more beat and funnest nights to come with your husband.
  • Paula
    Super September 2019
    Paula ·
    I am so so sorry you had this happen to you and your husband, I want to cry for both of you! I would throw your wedding clothes back on and invite your nearest & dearest for that backyard BBQ!
  • Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·

I'm so sorry I wish I knew what to say. My heart hurts for you

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    I’m hurt & angry for you. You have a right to be upset! Let it out the next few days.

Does your hubby feel the same way? Maybe you can plan a vow renewal weekend on an anniversary. Dress up, have a photographer, and treat yourself to a romantic weekend—perhaps at a beautiful resort followed by a dinner at that resort (winter lodge, beach hotel, winery B&B—someplace romantic!).
  • Elizabeth
    Dedicated June 2021
    Elizabeth ·

I am so sorry that happened! Definitely take a time out from those people - they are not necessary right now! Enjoy being married to your spouse, maybe take a spur-of-the-moment mini-moon if you don't have a honeymoon planned, turn off your phones, and just enjoy each other. The most important part of the wedding was being with each other forever and no guest can ruin that for you now!

• Brittany
    Beginner April 2020
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I totally agree with this idea, strangers are often WAAAY more enthusiastic than people you know and they dont know you're actually alread married. As long as you and your husband are enjoying your new Partnership eveything else doesn't matter.
  • Futuremrsv
    Super October 2020
    Futuremrsv ·
    I am heartbroken for you!!! I am soo sorry this happened. I cant believe the venue would start putting things away and tearing items down so early when i am sure you had the venue for a certain amount of hours. I am so sorry
  • NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·

I definitely suggest putting on that dress and going to a bar or club to have a great party! Strangers love to help brides and grooms celebrate and I'm sure you'd enjoy getting a chance to have those moments I'm so sorry this happened, but you can't let them defeat you!

• Cassi
    Super October 2019
    Cassi ·

I am so sorry you had to go through this! No one should ever feel this way especially not on their wedding day. i am a little confused though because your date on your profile shows you still have 32 days till your date? Did you change your date? Regardless I third the idea of the public ceremony somewhere. Honestly you and FH should just dress up in your stuff and go to a bar or a restaurant or anything like that. My Best friend got married in the Grand Cayman. After her wedding ceremony we went to a restaurant/ bar before re boarding the ship and the people were amazing there to them because they were still in their wedding attire. They got a slow dance on stage, free food and drinks.

• Meghan
    Savvy January 2020
    Meghan ·
    I am so sorry. I worry a lot about this, since I feel like I have always been someone who doesn't have a lot of close friends. I hope people will show up, and I fear how many won't. Those guests' behavior is inexcusable and I hope you take others' advice and spend some quality enjoying the love you have in a setting you adore. Best wishes that your next steps go more smoothly.

Comment on this discussion